How much should I be earning with my qualifications and experience?

That is not for teachers. Re-read my post.

@Explant is making a comparison, just as you did. No?

Sorry, what job were you comparing it to?

70,000/mo puts you at about what a licensed teacher with a BA and four years experience at a public school would get after housing has been added and taxes, etc. taken out. TBH, I haven’t seen much more from private schools (maybe KangChiao? I think someone told me they paid 90k/mo, but I’m pretty sure you need to be licensed) that aren’t established international schools (by which I mean TAS and TES, which will also expect teaching experience/ license)
EDIT: the above was in response to “full time” by which I meant “salaried”. If you’re willing to teach 40 hrs/week, you’d make much more even at HESS.

Also, I’m not sure your masters is going to get you far since it’s not in education. It might get you a boost in pay if you had a teaching license and were at a public school, but that doesn’t apply to you. Try the supersaturated university market?

Tim Hortons coffee server

Yes, compared to what?

70000 month teaching. Not such a wide salary differential.

1 Like

So, you are talking about teaching haha. Nite nite.

I’m intrigued (as I’m also an aspiring teacher) … Does your appearance matter that much in this market (in Taiwan)?

I look like the 25-year old Chinese fuckboy of a 55-year old European expat (or Middle Eastern businessman), who lives in his second house away from his wife and kids. I’ve been rejected once for a secondment in favour of my older-looking colleague who’s actually barely two years older than me.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your question is?

1 Like

How much does physical appearance weigh, in general, amidst a variety of factors relevant to selection?

That’s the question.

Massively. Tall blonde blue eyes numba one!

Native speaking Taiwanese have a hard time making the same amount as white foreigners. The parents, and often the buxiban managers, have a hard time discerning if ABTs are actually native level speakers so there is always lingering doubt.

Parents equate being white with speaking English well. That’s why you have Russians teaching classes for great pay while ABTs are often hidden from view or asked to be assistants. Being bilingual, which I believe is a huge plus, is viewed negatively by managers.

As for people of color I can’t testify to the racism that they face in hiring but I don’t doubt it is a reality. When given the option, the manager will always choose the lighter skinned female over the darker skinned male. In a culture that values the appearance of face over actual ability this outcome must be expected until prevailing attitudes change.

If this is the concern, then it does in a way relate to actual ability. So, one can address it through, say, an IELTS certificate or a PhD. But if image is the only/main thing that the market wants, then that’s a different story. If it were my business, I’d simply fly in lots of non-English-speaking work experience kids from Eastern Europe (or Turkey) - and make them walk around the school.

Actually … don’t they have agencies (like, in China?) whose job it is to lease out white models for shows and exhibitions … and cram schools?

They don’t do that here. A friend did that in HK.

The sad fact is that you’ll have trouble finding a job even if you are qualified because you are Asian and feminine looking. I hope that isn’t too straight, but that’s the way it is.

I’ve been offered ‘jobs’ because I’m Asian and feminine looking. They’re just not the type of jobs I’m after. I prefer something less uh … close contact …

2 Likes

Having proof that you are native level speaker would be a great idea but it seems like buxiban managers know (or think) they can simply low ball you because of you race. They can squeeze you more for every ounce of your productivity.

As an aside, I would be unsurprised if the other Taiwanese teachers complained about you receiving “foreigner pay”.

1 Like