How much to edit a master's thesis?

I would be curious as to how much plagerism goes on in Taiwan when students write their thesis. I was asked by a colleague to edit his English abstract and recognized that most of it was someones elses thoughts translated into Chinese and back into English. I couldn’t believe that he would get away with it - I mean if I could recognise that he was using someone elses ideas and not his own shouldn’t the professor?

Then again I have seen time and time again lectures given that are simple cut n’ paste jobs from some other text or academics works.

Kelake,

In response to your post, many Asian scientists apparently claim that it is acceptable for them to plagiarize because they know the science but just can’t express it clearly in English which puts them at a disadvantage and besides, in Asian culture ideas do not belong to an individual but should be shared by the group. . . which I think is a bunch of hooey. If you take someone’s words use quotes and give credit. But, here’s what others say. . .

The candidate in line to become the president of National Chunghsing University, Peng Tso-kwei . . . More than 80 percent of Peng’s book is allegedly copied from the tome Agricultural Product Prices by Professors William Tomek and Kenneth Robinson, published by Cornell University Press. . . [in addition] a piece in a journal written by Peng . . . which had won an award in 1990 from the National Science Council. . . over 70 percent of the content was found to be similar in its content a book titled The Farm-Retail Price Spread in a Competitive Food Industry by Bruce Gardner, a professor of agricultural and resource economics in the US. . . Both Cornell University Press and Bruce Gardner issued a strongly worded letter last week criticizing Peng’s behavior. . .
taipeitimes.com/chnews/2000/09/2 … 0000054510

The journal Science recently published “Scientific Misconduct: Chinese Researchers Debate Rash of Plagiarism Cases” (Xiguang & Lei, 1996). . . The authors of the Science article described three cases of plagiarism that had come to light in China since 1993. . .

Of the three cases of plagiarism reported in the Science article . . . two concerned the wholesale appropriation of manuscripts. In one, a Chinese physicist sent an entire article that had been published by a Turkish scientist and an Italian scientist in an Italian journal to a Swiss journal, under his name. In the other, a Chinese physicist copied six papers written and published by a Chinese physicist in a different university in China, and submitted them to a U.S. journal under his own name. . . Pan Aihua, the Chinese principal author in the third case . . . was from Peking University. Like many international students in U.S. classes, he defended the copying of short sections of text from an author’s published research in genetics in another journal, saying that it had been due to his lack of English proficiency, not to a lack of ethics. . .

But the case of Pan Aihua brought different responses. Typical is this one from a Chinese chemist:

In developing countries, such as China and India, basic researchers encounter more difficulties than those in developed countries. Because of the shortage of funds they cannot buy many modern instruments and must work harder. Many scientists are not good at English. In order to publish their articles in foreign journals they have to translate their journals from Chinese to English. So they usually borrow some words from foreign articles. I don’t know if this is a kind of plagiarism.

A Taiwanese computer scientist wrote:

Most of important science researchers in Taiwan are trained in the western countries, especially, in the United States. As a consequence, the contribution of a research paper is judged by whether the paper can be published in journals of the Western countries, especially, in those of the United States. This criterion is very unfair for locally trained researchers. After working hard in research, locally trained researchers with poor English writing skill still need to struggle very hard for translating their research findings into English. It is even more disappointing when their papers are probably rejected simply because of writing problems. As a result, imitating the “sentence structures” from well-written papers seems a good way to escape from the writing problems.
www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej10/a2.html

It depends what the purpose of your take-home exam from Shida is. If it is a Chinese class supposed to test your language skills, then yeah, asking ironlady would be cheating. But if you’re a regular student and write a paper let’s say on art history, then ironlady maybe couldn’t help you a lot with the content, but could at least edit your Chinese. I wouldn’t call that cheating. One always lets people crossread ones papers even if their written in ones mother tongue.

As to plagiarism. I don’t know what kind of thesis and papers you are talking about, but besides Master thesis and above all one is supposed to do is to get hold of all the relevant literature written on that subject and use it as reverence for ones own paper. It’s less a simple copy paste job, but more like an interpretation of earlier researches.

If you claim to be a scientist yourself, then you need to come up with your own research of course. Gosh, I just read 3 articles on the same subject by the same author. They’re written in 1979, 1989 and 2003. Same content other words, nothing new at all…!!!

I had this great idea for a book once. It was going to be all about this ophan, see? And so anyway, this orphan guy has to live in an orphanage where the headmaster guy was this, like really grumpy dude, so he won’t give Tristan (the orphan dude) any more gruel. So anyway, then he hooks up with this gangbanger dude who teaches him to pick pockets and all stuff like that and its a way cool story, 'cept I couldn’t write it right but it was all my idea, OK? So then I found this whole other book written by some dead guy and he must’ve copied my story cuz it was, like, almost the same!!! So I jsut used some of it in my story, it was called “Tristan Shake” but the publisher dudes said it was plagiarism! So I was like “Dude, WTF?”

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Sandman:

:laughing: Did he get in?

HG[/quote]

Bloody did and all – Ivy League, no less![/quote]

i overheard a student recruiter (from Yale) at an international MBA fair in Taipei tell a local student that the fact they didnt have any work experience was ok… and if her family could perhaps donate some money to the school then he was sure something could be worked out.

That’s how GW must have got his degree…

[quote=“AWOL”]
i overheard a student recruiter (from Yale) at an international MBA fair in Taipei tell a local student that the fact they didnt have any work experience was ok… and if her family could perhaps donate some money to the school then he was sure something could be worked out.[/quote]

I have a friend who’s parent donated a big chuck of $$ to UCB and that was how he got into the school! Throughout his college yra @ UCB, his parent have donated even more $$ so he can graduated! :shock:

Another girl’s parent (both doctors) sponsor some kind of research program for Taiwanese and their daughter ended up going to NYU for school… Sigh…doesn’t it feel good to be rich?!

why does that not surprise me?

Let’s see

Cambridge and Oxford have been doing basically that since the 14th Century for the English aristocracy.

So… in one sense it’s unfair, it denies opportunities to other talented but landless peasants. In another sense, it may bring benefits: more opportunities to future landless peasants who benefit from the largesse.

Yours,
A Landless Peasant

why does that not surprise me?

Let’s see

Cambridge and Oxford have been doing basically that since the 14th Century for the English aristocracy.

So… in one sense it’s unfair, it denies opportunities to other talented but landless peasants. In another sense, it may bring benefits: more opportunities to future landless peasants who benefit from the largesse.

Yours,
A Landless Peasant

Depends on if you want to pass the test or not…I probably couldn’t come up with the answers Shita wanted on one of their tests to save my life… :laughing: I mean, when’s the last time you actually heard someone use half the “grammar patterns” or “expressions” listed in “Audio-Visual Chinese”??

But my beef with all this is: if you’re going to plagiarize (that is, if you as a culture sincerely believe that it’s OK), then at least plagiarize WELL. That is, check the grammar of the connections between your stolen building blocks, and for Heaven’s sake, at least steal from multiple sources. Too easy to figure things out if you just steal from one. But oh-oh, stealing from multiple sources would require thought, as one would have to analyze and integrate the information – almost like writing a real paper!! :unamused:

1 Like

On the subject of plagiarism, I missed a doozy in the papers last spring, but fortunately it’s come back to light. :laughing:

The chancellor of Chinese Culture University, Lin Tsai-mei, allowed her daughter and advisee, Su Tsui-yun, to copy 90 of the 110 pages of her master’s degree thesis verbatim from a book written by a DPP legislator. After the plagiarism became public, Lin was forced to step down as chancellor, but has stayed on at the university as the director of the school of business. Su was stripped of her master’s degree.

Last Wednesday, a debate in a board meeting about whether it was appropriate for Lin to continue in her post at the business school developed into a confrontation after a KMT lawmaker and trustee of the university, Mu Ming-chu, alleged that her husband, university president Chang Ching-hu, had attempted to cover up Lin’s wrongdoing and permitted Lin to stay at the university, because he was having an affair with Lin.

“Chang has hurt the university,” said his wife Mu. “If he continues to disregard the university’s reputation by allowing Lin to stay on, I will propose that the board remove him as president.” Chang said that when he dealt with the plagiarism incident he had abided by regulations and the law. He also said that Mu had tried to force him to dismiss Lin from the university by putting a kitchen knife to his throat.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003085576