How much was the cheapiest Biandang (bentobox) you have paid?

zoige?

If youā€™re homeless. Otherwise youā€™re a cheapskate freeloader happy to eat gunk.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not gunk, itā€™s very healthy vegetarian food and youā€™ll live to be 110 if you eat that food every day. Also if you can save some time cooking every day and contribute more tax dollars back to the country by working longer, itā€™s a net positive for the country.

1 Like

I have had legit lunch boxes in Myanmar, japan and Canada. slightly different options based on region/season but essentially the same.

I know about bentos in Japan (typically very different ingredients from biandang though), but what does a Canadian lunch box look like?

1 Like

No salt. No herbs and spices. No onions. No garlic. Just bland mushy rice. Who the fuck wants to live to 110 eating that muck every day?

1 Like

I donā€™t know about you, but my goal is to live long enough for them to be able to cure aging through medicine

Funny guy! You a big sci-fi fan?

Yes, can I introduce you to the scientology church in Kaohsiung?

1 Like

Taiwan Railway ꎒéŖØä¾æē•¶(ē¶“ęæŸ)

You can get it at many train stations, and itā€™s quite decent.

Thatā€™s not the cheapest I have paid though. I have had ē¦éš†ä¾æē•¶ with a chicken drumstick, half a braised egg, a couple slices of Taiwanese sausage, plus 3 side dishes and rice for NT$46 during a promotion, however the portion was smallā€¦

Nasi bungkus in Indonesia. Same idea; choices of veg, tofu, tempeh, egg, fish, chicken, meat, chili sauce, maybe some peanuts or grated coconut. Around NTD20 - 70
Choices vary greatly by region.
If the same dishes are sold/served in a box like biandang, it is called nasi kotak.

32493138_1_644x461_catering-nasi-kotak-dan-nasi-bungkus-gresik-kab-_rev001

9 Likes

That looks much tastier than biandang.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had some pretty nice biandangs NTD60-90 around Nangang.
I find the overuse of oil in Taiwan a bit of a turn off, though.

1 Like

The biandiang place near where I live is excellent. I get three boxes: one with curried potatoes, onion and carrot, one with gluten and tofu, and one with a couple of chicken thighs and legs.
Obviously not bento style the way I do it, but it costs 200 and the wife and I can chow on that for two days.

3 Likes

But alas almost certainly not healthier, especially if itā€™s made with nasi lamak (i.e. coconut milk in the rice). Heart attack in a box (albeit a tasty box . . . ).

If I got this wrong @chilifries let me know!

Guy

Sounds tasty. I need to find a place that sells curried potatoes.

How about a Northern Indian shop that can sell you jeera aloo (cumin flavoured potatoes) or some form of aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower)?

I donā€™t think I could live without these dishes. :pray:

Guy

I love those dishes but I was thinking something more within the biandang price range.

Going to cost you WAY more than a biandang. Indian restaurants in Taiwan are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

Dude. Buy some potatoes and onions. Buy that Japanese curry thatā€™s in every supermarket. Cook it. Make a lot. Freeze what you donā€™t need immediately. Costs peanuts.

2 Likes