How much $ would it take to get you to go home?

Hello,

An unexpected twist this week: a job I applied for back home has come through as an offer.

I’ve been looking for an exit plan, and this was my ideal scenario, frankly.

I’m having some last minute jitters and second thoughts though, and they all revolve around $. I know going home will be kissing goodbye the freedom and ease of life/work in Taiwan, but to be honest, I think I crave the structure and possibility of advancing within a non-ESL career.

Obviously many of you are happy here and have made wonderful lives/careers here. I am/have not, and my question is not intended as a shot at those who are/have.

For those who would consider a move home, what salary would it take?

Here in Taiwan, I always can save money each month with minimal effort, and I work a three day work week. I’m by no means rich, but I am extremely confortable. With higher taxes & costs at home, I naturally want to be earning substantially more than I am here. The current offer represents that, but is not the kind of salary (say, 80,000/yr +) that makes a jump on the plane automatic.

Can anyone share their opinion on this?

[quote]I’ve been looking for an exit plan, and this was my ideal scenario, frankly.

I’m having some last minute jitters and second thoughts though, and they all revolve around $. I know going home will be kissing goodbye the freedom and ease of life/work in Taiwan, but to be honest, I think I crave the structure and possibility of advancing within a non-ESL career.

Obviously many of you are happy here and have made wonderful lives/careers here. I am/have not.[/quote]

Why are you asking us? If you’re not carving out the life you want in Taiwan and have got a good opportunity to go back home, don’t even try to talk yourself out of it.

Assuming that you’re starting at the bottom of a new industry that you imagine yourself moving up, don’t even think about the money unless you would literally have difficulties meeting a bare minimum of living expenses.

Alidarbac, of course you are right.

I am just curious to know what others think. Ultimately, it’s a choice only I can make but as with many decisions, I’d like to know how others might make it if they were in my shoes.

Get on the plane. Work your way up. Give yourself three years. If you still don’t like it, come back.

[quote=“reddoll”]Hello,

An unexpected twist this week: a job I applied for back home has come through as an offer.

I’ve been looking for an exit plan, and this was my ideal scenario, frankly.

Obviously many of you are happy here and have made wonderful lives/careers here. I am/have not, and my question is not intended as a shot at those who are/have.

For those who would consider a move home, what salary would it take?

Here in Taiwan, I always can save money each month with minimal effort, and I work a three day work week. I’m by no means rich, but I am extremely confortable. With higher taxes & costs at home, I naturally want to be earning substantially more than I am here. The current offer represents that, but is not the kind of salary (say, 80,000/yr +) that makes a jump on the plane automatic.

Can anyone share their opinion on this?[/quote]

Is it possible you could move into a non-ESL career in Taiwan? It seems like you are enjoying your life there. I know there are lots of long-timers on this forum who taught English for years prior to moving into different careers. Perhaps they could offer you some advice. Or maybe you could go home and improve your education, perhaps by going to law school or business school, and then return to Taiwan with higher earning potential.

Also, are you fluent/literate in Chinese? Sounds like you’ve got lots of time and money on your hands in Taiwan. Perhaps you could start studying Chinese. I know that fluency/literacy has led people into some interesting jobs there in Taiwan.

Making money equates to freedom.

If you value your freedom make as much of it as you can under the most congenial circumstances.

I could think of few things worse than working my whole life for a bank (paying a mortgage) or some other greedy fucker.

Yet, unless you are born with the proverbial silver spoon in your gob, that’s the life for almost everybody who gets shakled to the corporate slave decks. Reading your post I could almost here the sounds of the chains gliding through the leg irons.

Being young means you have stacks of choice (freedom) and little experience. When you are gaining experience (in whatever you do) you need to be aquiring money skills at a rate equivalent to your fading youth. I think that means by the time you are in your mid-thirties you want to be in a position to own your experience. That is you are ready to say to whoever sponsored your learning, 'Thanks. Now I’m ready to go it alone."

At that point you want to have enough money in the bank to back your gumption (or you’re a slave forever), and you want to have enough courage to choose freedom (or you’re a slave forever).

Like youth, money equates to choice. If you value choice (freedom) only trade your youth for money and remember good health trumps both 'cause it gives freedom value.

Maybe savings of US$500,000 and/or a salary of US$150,000+

We plan to move to California and buy a house and that’s about what it will take.

So, I may enjoy a happy retirement in Taiwan instead. :idunno:

Back to northern England, US$300k… anywhere else I might start considering around the $200k mark… and even then I’d no doubt be heading back here two years later. I don’t think I’ll be moving any time soon.

Well, I can only tell you this. If you stay in Taiwan, some day you may find yourself happy. You may have a wife and family. You may have become a great teacher, and may be earning the big bucks with your own school. You may not. But you will not likely develope further skills or education that would be valued at “home.” If you don’t find all you’re looking for in Taiwan, and leave a couple years from now, you may or may not have an offer you like, but you WILL be a couple years older with experience that isn’t relavent or that employers at home can’t relate to. You’ll have saved some money, but not enough.

Taiwan, or at least the same island, will still be around if you give it a go at home and decide to move back. I’d say you need to go for it.

Back to northern England, US$300k… anywhere else I might start considering around the $200k mark… and even then I’d no doubt be heading back here two years later. I don’t think I’ll be moving any time soon.[/quote]

To be earning a salary like that you’d probably have to be close to CEO of a small or mid-sized company, but if u wait 20 years, inflation may mean that such a salary is earned by graduates! :laughing:

housecat wrote: [quote]Taiwan, or at least the same island, will still be around if you give it a go at home and decide to move back. I’d say you need to go for it.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. If things don’t work out back home, you can always come back to Taiwan.

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-well…how did I get here?

etc., etc.

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? …am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
My god!..what have I done?

lyricsfreak.com/t/talking+he … 35070.html

Great song.

A thousand crisp new NT dollars and cab fare.

I didn’t come here for the money, and when/if I leave I don’t think it will be for money either. Right now, no amount of money can lure me away from here.

What would it take for me to go back? It’s not really about the money, but if I could afford to live in Canada working less than 30 hours a week at a job I mostly love, have a nice home, save money, eat as well as I do here, and simply enjoy myself as I do here, I guess I could consider it.

Don’t want to, though.

Lets add some reality to this thread.
What would be the price of re-entry?
Lets start here:
(in US $'s)

1. $180,000.00 per anum
  2. Full health and benefits including eye/wellness
  3. Relocation expenses
  4. Company vehicle/company paid vehicle expenses
  5. Housing allowance
  6. Relevant club/association dues
  7. Travel and business expenses to appropriate trade show business conventions
  8. Appropriate business expenses
  9. Membership in relevant business associations
  10. Paid subscriptions to appropriate business/trade publications

Frankly, this just scratches the surface. Issues such as company shares and ‘golden parachute’ are yet to be considered.
This is whats its all about kiddos!