How often do Taiwanese people tell you you're fat?

How often do Taiwanese people tell you you’re fat?

• Never
  • Once a year
  • Once a month
  • Once a week
  • A few times a week
  • Sometimes a few times per day

0 voters

I’m not THAT fat. At least I don’t think I am. I’m about 176 cm tall and 74 kg (maybe 5 kg overweight). I admit my stomach’s not flat, but I’m not nearly as bad as lots of others. For instance (I won’t mention any forumosans), I went to the pool yesterday and saw quite a few locals with immense guts hanging over their trunks.

But people are always poking my stomach or commenting on it. This weekend I got it twice. First some lady who works in a store we hadn’t been to in years asks my wife if I’m gaining weight. Then my haircutter, when they pull off the apron at the end (voila), comments and points and his helpers all look. Even my CEO, and his assistant, have commented and suggested I do something about it (I didn’t tell them I could easily kick either of their asses running, swimming, biking, fighting, whatever – heck, look at Tank Abbott, he was a skilled, powerful athlete with a gut), not to mention random colleagues and even, once, a complete stranger in an elevator.

I don’t get it. Yes, I know rude is part of the culture here. But why ME? As I said, I admit I’ve got something of a gut (partly due to love of food; partly due to a slight sway back). But nowhere near as bad as lots of others. Maybe it’s cuz I’m fairly lean and fit EXCEPT for my gut. I wonder if that’s it. Do guys who are big all around – heavy arms, heavy legs, big giant gut, more than 20-30 kg overweight – also get poked in the stomach all the time?

Anyway, I don’t know why they keep picking on me, but I’ve had it. Diet started this morning (despite the three cartons of chocolate ice cream we bought at Costco on the weekend). I’m serious. Smaller portions, salads for lunch, start doing crunches, get back on the bike. I am determined to get a flat, washboard stomach by the end of this summer so the fuckers will stop harassing me.

How about you?

I’ll join you! Only my woman pokes me in the stomach and calls me a fatty. Some of my young students call me fat, but they call anyone taller than themselves fat. I’d be really pissed off if anyone else did that. I’m surprised you didn’t steam roll anyone that called you a fatty. Maybe next time you can return an insult for an insult.

I used to get it all the time, yet as of late the stress of my last year has all but whittled down what once was a fine paunch.

I’m 5’8" and when I first arrived on Taiwan I was about 160 lbs. I was told just about constantly that I was “so strong.” After the 9/21 quake I got kinda freaked out and couldn’t sleep, so I started walking until I just about fell out in the evenings after working 14 hour days six days a week. I also didn’t eat much.

Three months later, I was 123 lbs. I thought I looked great! I hadn’t been that thin since high school. I could finally shop in the regular stores for clothes, but still had to buy size extra large!! People did quit calling me fat, or “strong,” but would always tell me, “you look good but be careful, you are about to get fat!” That’s a direct quote.

So diet or exercse if you want to, but do it for you. The Taiwanese have NO perspective. They don’t know what the hell they’re talking about when it comes to what’s fat or not fat.

I be fat. I know I be fat. You don’t need to tell me I be fat. I know. But hey why don’t you tell that Taiwanese man he be fat. Now that be annoying because he be as fat as me but you don’t tell him. This be really annoying when they put the feirgner word in front of it. Then I be told I be fat because I be a lazy feirgner which really be annoying.

I be fat.
I know I be fat. but let it be at that. It be my problem not yours.

I must be thick boned cuz once upon a time when i was 177cm and 75kg i was thin and people would always comment on how thin i was. Now im 176cm (shrinkage cuz of age) and 91kg (i was 99kg a few months ago) i am just having a bit of a bulge in the ol tummy.

so u must be thin boned.

They don’t call me fat.

Handsome? Tall? Yes, all the time. :discodance: :discodance:

Always shows more on the skinny fat guys.

And if they dare calling me (a) fat (bastard), I’ll use my most powerful insult, the 6/6/09 BC, to mentally obliterate them:

Fuck the fuckity fuck off, you fuck-witted fucks!

:whistle:

When you’re really really fat they don’t tell you.

If you haven’t seen a Taiwanese person in a while, and you’ve gained weight, they’ll tell you so right to your face. As if you need to be reminded about something you already know. :bluemad:

My students poke me regularly and ask me why I’m fat. I usually just ask them why they’re so rude. That usually stops it for a day or two, but then some other kid will start. I’ve also been"jokingly" called fat by two adults at my church, one of whom thought it was funny to call me pregnant. The other quickly said he was joking after he said it.
OK, I’m overwieght and my stomach pooches. But I eat right and ride my bike daily since returning to Taiwan 5 months ago and I’m not loosing weight. What’s up with that?

(I presume this is American for “hairdresser” or “barber”?)

Well, as soon as you get your hair cut they’ll tell you your hair’s too long, then when you grow it they’ll tell you to get it cut.

By western standards, I am normal. Perhaps I could stand to lose a couple or three kilos, but no more than that. By Taiwanese standards, I am fat (read: not a stick). However, whenever I see someone I haven’t seen for awhile, they invariably comment that I have lost weight. Except I haven’t, al all. I find myself taking it as a really, really insincere attempt at a compliment (I silently retort, "What, do you think I was fat before?).
It comes out like part of a greeting. “Hey, long time no see! Have you lost weight?” I guess the equivalent in western-speak would be, “Gee, you look great.”, or, “It’s nice to see you again.” At least I can take the latter to heart.

Mother T,
You’re not fat at all and don’t let those vile pigs make you think otherwise. The slight padding around the waist adds a bit of gravitas which is becoming for a man of your years, and it helps to soften the rugged muscularity of your torso. And unlike most of the skinny arse-less wonders here on the island, your buttocks are well rounded and firm. In fact, you are very near the top of my “Forumosans you would most like to sculpt life-size statues of” list.

No need to lose weight.

[quote=“almas john”]Mother T,…
And unlike most of the skinny arse-less wonders here on the island, your buttocks are well rounded and firm…[/quote]
:hand:
Far too much information, however maybe the extent of direct personal observation…

Pre-emption is key. I am SO fucking tired of having my handsomeness commented on by strangers that these days, as soon I see them begin to open their mouths, I jump in with a “Damn! You look sick! Are you sick? Your skin! It’s SO pasty. And you’re looking soft and flabby. You should get some exercise pronto. And LOOK at your skin! GOD! You’re a coronary just waiting to happen, man, I 'aint kidding.”

Interesting timing on this thread, just yesterday I had the nice lady who runs the local music shop I frequent say to me, “You know for a foreigner you manage to keep quite thin.” I asked her what she meant and she said, “Oh, you know almost all foreigners are fat, but you’re not. Hao li hai.” I asked her if she was really suggesting that everyone on earth except the 20 odd million Taiwanese are fat and she replied in all seriousness, “No, no, I mean foreigners are just fatter than Taiwanese.” :doh: As she said that their enormous sweaty tub of a guitar technician came plodding down the stairs with an equally lard encrusted teenage student heaving along in tow. As my irony-meter had already redlined off the chart before the arrival of the blubber brothers I waited to see what her reaction would be… zip… nada… zero…

Seems it’s just one of those social undercurrent things here, permanent open season on personal remarks about foreigner’s weight. That said I do sometimes hear locals calling each other fat with total disregard for tact as well, but saying “6.X billion people are fatter than us Taiwanese” is painting with a fairly broad brush.

[quote=“plasmatron”]Interesting timing on this thread, just yesterday I had the nice lady who runs the local music shop I frequent say to me, “You know for a foreigner you manage to keep quite thin.” I asked her what she meant and she said, “Oh, you know almost all foreigners are fat, but you’re not. Hao li hai.” I asked her if she was really suggesting that everyone on earth except the 20 odd million Taiwanese are fat and she replied in all seriousness, “No, no, I mean foreigners are just fatter than Taiwanese.” :doh: As she said that their enormous sweaty tub of a guitar technician came plodding down the stairs with an equally lard encrusted teenage student heaving along in tow. As my irony-meter had already redlined off the chart before the arrival of the blubber brothers I waited to see what her reaction would be… zip… nada… zero…

Seems it’s just one of those social undercurrent things here, permanent open season on personal remarks about foreigner’s weight. That said I do sometimes hear locals calling each other fat with total disregard for tact as well, but saying “6.X billion people are fatter than us Taiwanese” is painting with a fairly broad brush.[/quote]

As you well know, all foreigners are X.

Of course, by “foreigner”, many Taiwanese mean “white people”.