How often do you read the paper?

How often do you read the newspaper?

• Almost never
  • About once a month
  • About once a week
  • Almost everyday

0 voters

Just curious. Saw that advertising post and Sandman said he was the only person he knew that doesn’t look at one at least once a week.

I’d be one more I suppose. I barely even flip through one when waiting in 7/11.

When voting I suppose you could base it on when you actively go out and purchase (or get from someone) a paper. I often see a Chinese one laying around school and I’ll flip through it (the Apple Daily, does that count?), or I’ll look at the front page at 7/11, but I almost never buy one.

Who waits in 7-11 long enough to read a paper? :s

Do on-line newspapers count? I don’t buy newspapers everyday, but I read at least one daily…

I read it once, seldom twice. On Friday and Sunday I read two different ones.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“miltownkid”]
[/quote]

Who waits in 7-11 long enough to read a paper? :s[/quote]

The odd occassion when they purposefully ignore you 'cos you’re waiguoren. Either because they’re rude, or just too afraid to talk to you. Had a girl run away at McDonalds even. Still spoke Chinese to her manager when he came to help, but she was just not having any of it…

Usually buy the paper on Sunday, or read the Saturday paper at my breakfast place…

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“miltownkid”]
[/quote]

Guess that usually happens when I get something microwaved, like popcorn or a sandwich or something.

I think so. I almost never actively seek out news. I usually get it word-of-mouth style.

I was ignorant when 9/11 happened and had a co-worker thrust a paper into my hands in a teacher’s meeting my second week here. After that I swore that I would not be caught off-guard again so I bought a paper everyday…but the news never got better and I was getting depressed hearing how horrible things were (especially at the hands of my own countrymen), so I stopped after a few months and my life has been happier ever since.

I only read ensign’s paper long enough to screw up his sudoku puzzles during Games Club. Ensign, next time I’ll bring a pencil. :wink:

[quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“miltownkid”]
[/quote]

Guess that usually happens when I get something microwaved, like popcorn or a sandwich or something.[/quote]

Right. I never buy that kind of stuff.

They don’t usually make you wait for water or beer. :smiley:

I think so. I almost never actively seek out news. I usually get it word-of-mouth style.[/quote]

I don’t think so. If its online, its not a news paper… there is no paper involved. I follow the news daily, but only online.

Newspaper is good for wrapping fish & chips

I think so. I almost never actively seek out news. I usually get it word-of-mouth style.[/quote]

I don’t think so. If its online, its not a news paper… there is no paper involved. I follow the news daily, but only online.

Newspaper is good for wrapping fish & chips[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose that does make more sense. I sarted it for people who actually read a paper newspaper. Not with finding out who actively seeks out the news.

Who needs a paper when you have the internet??

In any convenience store, at any time that I am in one, I always scout out a paper. Call me old-fashioned, but I love reading a freshly-printed newspaper. I really don’t care if it’s yesterday’s news. I used to work at a paper at university, can’t get outtta that news groove.

And that’s a good thing. :slight_smile:
One needs a massive shield from which to menace one’s children at breakfasttime. I’m joking of course, but it’s still a fun gag to play! My kids love it! :laughing:

They are also good for when you need to follow people but don’t want to attract too much attention. You can just cut 2 holes in it for eyes.

I’m one of those obsessives who can’t go anywhere without something to read in case I get stuck for two minutes, so the paper is convenient- and it has comics.

Plus it can save you from those “Where are you come from?” conversations where your interrogator simply wants to show off his English to his friends.

I read the three English papers in Taipei every day. They all have something the others don’t have, so I buy all three.

Why are you asking this question? I think everyone has different and personal news gathering habits, and they are all good, word of mouth, TV, Internet, print. magazines, forums. I just like reading newspapers…

missoulian.com/articles/2006 … news03.txt

interesting piece abou the value of newspaperingreading in our lives…

SHE WROTE: "I love newspapers. I love this newspaper in particular. I drive my family crazy on vacation, buying and reading newspapers.

Newspapers are everyman’s and everywoman’s medium. You don’t have to buy an appliance or an electronic gadget to use them. You don’t even have to pay a power bill. For 50 cents or so, you can learn what happened in the world in the 24 hours before.

Newspapers make a community by allowing us to hear from and better understand people we’d never meet otherwise. Newspapers are a vital piece of the raucous activity of democracy…"UNQUOTE

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND:
Newspapers should be withering away

"Print newspapers should be withering away and readers should continue to turn to media that

Nah… That’s want a Nintendo DS is for. :wink:

Well this is a bit weird.

I’m a news junkie - read BBC online, plus 2 Australian newspapers online everyday. Sometimes watch CNN (I wish we could get BBC World in Changhua, but no). And for most of my time in Taiwan, I’d buy both the TT and TN. Occasionaly the CP as well. But only (for all 3) on weekdays - for some reason, I only rarely bought a paper on a weekend.

Come the CNY just gone, and I was moving to a new apartment the day before the holiday started. Too busy that day to buy a paper. And then over the holidays, I travelled around a bit and for some reason, didn’t buy the paper. Some of that was because I was in a few small towns and they didn’t stock English papers.

But, and this is the weird bit - I haven’t bought a paper since. I don’t know why. Haven’t even looked at one. I still have my online news fix, still have the occasional CNN, bought no paper.