How old are people on Forumosa?

Count me in as one of the Oriented people. :grandpa:

1 Like

I started in 1999. Is that Oriented?

Yep its very different than years ago. There’s always been way more Asians and you see a lot of foreign tourists too now.

1 Like

By far the biggest change, 1990 vs 2018, is the number of ABC/CBC/TBA/TBC etc. etc. types here now. It’s changed the face of Taipei for sure.

2 Likes

Well…AFIK, TBH, and this is on the QT, that’s TBC, it’s hardly SOP, FFS, also FYI, you should CYA PDQ, ASAP.

ROTFLBTCDICAJTTWADBSIHPWTRHITSBKABAYB

yesitsentence

I disagree. You talk with long term people here going back even to the Vietnam War era (when Taiwan was popular for shore leave), it used to be, in the late 70s and early 80s, the global hub for manufacturing. Lots of MNCs setting up shop. It was only in the late 80s and early 90s, when Engrishy teaching became the mainstay. As you say, with Taiwan`s economy diversifying in services, including professional services such as engineering, there might be slightly more non-teaching jobs, but I would be surprised if it was not still the leader.

You are just taking about Western Caucasians. But there are way more Korean, Japanese and HK expats in total . Probably that was always the case. Now there are also boatloads of those ABCs, TBCs etc here.
Then there are the 600k blue collars. The 100s k of foreign spouses.
Then look at all the Asian tourists…
The only reason anybody ever talks about the English teachers or white people is precisely because we are very rare here and stick out like a sore thumb !

(This brings me back to the time the local post office sent me a tax claim for another white guy…I guess we all look the same Hahaha)

2 Likes

But aren`t they the majority on Forumosa?

And the last time you lived here was in… Nowadays, the majority of foreigners are the laborers.

Seriously, teh people here on teh forum are more diversified. Gone are teh days of the druggie backpackers teaching kinddy. heck, even for illegal jobs like that you need credentials. Do not look down on the teacher population, which anyways prefers Tinder for friendships, not even That Other Site. Jobs are not offered to you on the street and the numbers are erally down, especially in terms of salaries, which is why people with a bit more time here drift towards businesses or office work or anything else. Locals are not that excited to learn English anymore. We have the influx of tey children of the diaspora to take care of that.

I´d recommend you to either drop here for a bit or at least watch Happiness Road to get an idea.

I am not looking down on them. I merely said that the reason people on this Forum label people as right wing or far right is because traditionally the education sector is quite left leaning and it is highly represented on this forum. I know most foreigners are labourers from Asia but do they use Forumosa? I am talking about users here. I have not worked in Taiwan since 2008 and am sure things have diversified in services as mentioned in a previous post. But compared to the heyday of manufacturing in the 70s/80s? While not as strong as the 90s or 2000s, education is still a key demographic of Forumosa users and of European or American expats.

Eh you do know that most people are teaching with a TESOL certificate, not a MA in Education? Most youngster teaching are doing so with BAs in Science, Engineering, Chemistry, anything but Chicano Feminist Literature of the 20th Century. yet this people are dedicated, not party animals.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: God, I miss the arrivals in the 90s.

??? :thinking:

Who are the Eastern Caucasians? Easter rabbit?

Taiwan born Canadians?

1 Like

FB_IMG_1541248516554

If you do not study, you will end up like him.
But I have a PhD!

5 Likes

I understood all your acronyms but one. Luckily, Urban Dictionary had the answer:

Hard to keep up with the new slangs kids are using these days…

1 Like

From Forumosa’s Google Analytics for 1 to 28 November 2018

The 45-54 age group spends a lot more time (over 10 minutes per session on average!) on the forums on average than other age groups. They also have the lowest Bounce Rate at 42% - so as a group, they know why they are here and they are taking their time!

3 Likes

I’m loving these analytics. I knew my poll was wrong…

1 Like