How psychology affects one's political outlook

The Ideological Animal:
We think our political stance is the product of reason, but we’re easily manipulated and surprisingly malleable. Our essential political self is more a stew of childhood temperament, education, and fear of death. Call it the 9/11 effect.

This is a fairly interesting article, my personal favorite bit being the following:

[quote] “All people are born alike-except Republicans and Democrats,” quipped Groucho Marx, and in fact it turns out that personality differences between liberals and conservatives are evident in early childhood. In 1969, Berkeley professors Jack and Jeanne Block embarked on a study of childhood personality, asking nursery school teachers to rate children’s temperaments. They weren’t even thinking about political orientation.

Twenty years later, they decided to compare the subjects' childhood personalities with their political preferences as adults. They found arresting patterns. As kids, liberals had developed close relationships with peers and were rated by their teachers as self-reliant, energetic, impulsive, and resilient. People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics.

[/quote]

The only thing interesting about this “study” is that people still post it like it means something. I thought everyone long ago understood that it had been discredited. Oh well… Apparently, something in your childhood makes you believe that “studies” like these have objective value…

I’ve always thought that political leanings, in men at least, are dictated by which side of their pants they position their respective willies. For instance, I position mine on the right side, and thus my willy leans/points to the right… and, lo and behold, I am regarded by many as being a “right-winger”.

I don’t know how this works for women… but, they seem, generally, to be less politically-minded than men, generally. Maybe their political leanings are udderly dependent upon which of their respective breasts are larger…(right or left)???

Well, this seems as likely a theory as the one posited in the article cited above by Vay.

TM -
Sorry to dispute the “Leaning Wille” theory…but I have always…“dressed” to what is my left. And my politics have usually gone to the other side of the spectrum. Over-compensating for the load? Perhaps…perhaps…

I think you may be onto something with your musings about the increased estrogen in the left…that would be a simple and logical explanation for so many of their traits…yes indeed.

Occams Razor…

Nonsense. If you position your willy to the right, you’ll be less likely to lean that way. Think about it… squished willy? Bad! :unamused:

But the left ball generally tends to hang lower than the right, so the willie’s natural position in most males is toward the left. Stuffing it to the right is only something conservative-minded people would do.

Free the willie,
Free yourself,
Return to your natural ideology!

Far be it for me to disagree with so many PhDs, but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :roflmao:

How about a study on pointless and innane political studies? What color are my shoes, as a former Marine, conservative man who likes the Grateful Dead, Nirvana, is sloppy, and reads and watches a wide variety of books and moves, has a map of the world in his home, hates talk radio, loves poetry, keeps a journal and worships Jackson Pollack?

Twits.

Note the argumentative comments about male genitalia placement by the leftists?
Their testosterone-challenged, shrill clamors for control of this wardrobe issue is most revealing.

oh my god

Vay, if you’re really interested in the psychological slant, check out John Dean: Conservatives without Conscience, which makes extensive use of better research.