How relevant is Canada?

It was a whole thread

Americentrism, also known as American-centrism or US-centrism, is a tendency to assume the culture of the United States is more important than those of other countries or to judge foreign cultures based on American cultural standards

ignorance
/ˈɪɡn(ə)r(ə)ns/
noun
lack of knowledge or information

It seems like an apt description of your comment. I said he about your comment, not you

1 Like

Look who’s actually backtracking now. Just own up to it. I was not the one being rude. I have a mild opinion, you for whatever reason took personal offense to it and made rude comments to me and Americans being typically ignorant. If you wanted to convince me Canada is relevant, that’s one thing. That’s not what you did.

I posted several links which you ignored

It was not mild. It was quite offensive

I did not. I said your comment was a typical American comment…ie think American is the centre of the universe and no one else matters.
I also said it was an ignorant comment as you seemed to be bragging to not know about Canadian finance. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge.
I have you a chance to clarify and and doubled down. That’s why I shared my observation about your comment. No attacks here.
I shared the definitions above for reference.

1 Like

To you, everything is offensive.

Just because you posted links doesn’t mean they change my mind. Those links are Canadian news outlets. In which I countered with 3 other major international news outlet with 0 mention of Canada on their front page.

Which is rude since you are saying the typical American comment is ignorant.

How about this, your comments are the typical Canadian comment, stupid and basic. You think this isn’t rude to say? I think so, that’s why I wouldn’t say this to people since it’s rude and untrue.

We’ll I’m sorry you felt it was rude. It is the stereotype of Americans. I don’t hold that belief, I just pointed out that your comment played into it.

I really don’t want to discuss this anymore. Hopefully you will do some more reading on Canada.

You must have heard of Mark Carney if you’re in finance. I don’t think you’ve responded to that. Perhaps you can read up on him. He really helped out the Economy of the UK

Hi. Genuine question. How you are defining relevance?

Personal relevance with the general population? global relevance in geopolitics?

Saying it this way can touch a nerve with Canadians. This is common and it is not unheard of that people may feel that it is belittlement.

This implies ignorance and can touch a nerve with Americans.

1 Like

Canada is relevant because the US is relevant.

They are also slaved to the US. If the US does well, Canada does well. If the US melts down, Canada melts down.

If the US tells Canada to jump, Canada says how high.

If some future army/barbarian invades the US, Canada isn’t safe either. If the US erupts in civil war, Canada will not be safe either.

This is wrong.

Why? So if the US has a complete economic meltdown Canada will carry on like nothing happened? 80% of Canada’s population lives within 50 miles of the US border. Their most significant trade partner is the US. If the US shuts down, so will Canada.

What you said is not only wrong, but it’s belittlement and a gross oversimplification.

Excuse me? Enslaved to the US? Who are you?

Again, sovereign country, interests that happen to align do not mean that there is no independent foreign policy.

Ok. But you didn’t get the context. I’m saying it’s surprising that’s the case. I mentioned why Canada does matter, G7, 10th largest GDP, Nato, strong commercial banking.

I did. But it’s just a cultural thing. People will feel that way because of the way it’s said.

I can see why @eCanada might feel that way, because this is a point of contention in Canada. It goes very deep. I can explain further if you want.

I apologize to ecanada is he was offended. That’s not what i was trying to do.

I won’t however change my position on my observation that Canada isn’t that relevant on the global stage, especially considering they do have an important role. People just don’t think about Canada outside of Canada. This isn’t just Americans. Which as I’ve said, not a bad thing.

1 Like

Right, but remember how people feel about their country. It may be true, but saying it this way is like saying ‘people don’t think about you’. Propping Canada is a national pastime.

But you didn’t answer my question, what do you mean in particular about relevance? How do you define relevance? I can think of a variety of answers but I don’t know which one to…pick cause it can go several ways. Relevance is very subjective.

So when Trump calls Canada to go arrest a certain somebody Canada just says “screw you! we are our own sovereign country and you don’t tell us to go arrest someone just because you said so”?

We don’t have to. We agreed to. But we don’t have to have an extradition treaty. We agree on an extradition treaty. And we have many extradition treaties with countries that have similar legal systems because we can trust those countries to uphold due process and human rights. That includes the US.

That is why we suspended our extradition treaty with the HKSAR Government. We can no longer trust them to uphold due process.

Fact is if the US wants to screw up Canada, they very well can. They wouldn’t because they are closely allied with the US. Especially everything trade depends on the US. They are relevant because the US is relevant.

Just food for thought.

Again, you’re wrong. The economies are intertwined because of aligning interests. The US can’t screw Canada without screwing itself.

I wish I had a dollar for every time people took the piss out of the US on here! If I got sniffy about it each time, much less minor, mildly offputting observations, I wouldn’t have time for anything else.

4 Likes