How stupid some people can be

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well…the son of a bitch will, at some point in time, make an appearance back on the street.
Nothing to stop someone with a memory from tapping him on the shoulder and introducing him to a mouthful of baseball bat and skull cracking. Theoretically speaking, of course.

But I am Scottish/Hillbilly…we invented the fued.[/quote]

TC, which is why i prefer hsiadogah’s idea, bullet to the head neatly resolves the problem on a permanent basis, or at least for that offender.

But a mouthful of Louisville Slugger sounds much more poetic.

A few months ago, on the big road of ximen, I saw a bus crossing an intersection at the red light (standard behavior in Taiwan when they think that there is no other cars coming in the other road). A old women crossed the road at the same time, and he saw her too late. The bus hit her head and went on one of her feet. I saw the driver stopping, going out to see the old women crying, then … “thinking” … for about 30 secs … and watching all around … until he saw that a lot of people including me were watching him not doing anything, so he finally took his cellphone from his pocket and called someone, probably the hospital.

At this time, I realized that the driver was possibly thinking about just go back in the bus and run : he didn’t do anything for a relatively long time, he had his cellphone in his pocket, the gran-ma was was near him, crying, some blood on her head, the skin on the feet totally destroyed …

IMHO, a lot of taiwanese drivers need to be more responsible.

I was going to phrase it like that, but I didn’t think many people would know what a “Louisvile Slugger” would mean.
Thanks ImaniOU! :bravo:

I like both versions but in this case, I don’t think so. Instant death is just too good for a person who has made an entire family live without a loved one. They must remember for years what this person has callously done to their lives.

I say cut off his hands or pop out his eyes so he can’t drive. Then maybe he too will suffer a lifetime of loss, and know exactly what he has done to deserve it.

Perhaps he’ll become a safe driving advocate? :noway:

A few years ago I thought the Taiwanese police were useless since they were always pushed around by the local gangsters. I’m glad they’re getting stronger and smarter.

Don’t speak too soon … they’re still mostly incompetent … and when they actually do their job, the legal system makes up and does something incompetent themselves, like letting people who should spend the rest of their lives in jail walk free.

I think this kind of behavior is a good reason why Taiwan should NOT place a moratorium on the death penalty as has been suggested. These kinds of hit & run killings should carry the death penalty if the driver was either drunk or breaking the law (running a red light, etc.) and the victim ends up dead. The government should also make sure people know about it and the media needs to start making a stink about it so the next betel nut chewing, blue slipper wearing blue truck driver or bus driver who decides to get behind the wheel drunk, or think traffic rules apply to everyone but him will think twice before doing something stupid.

Here’s an editorial from everyone’s favorite newspaper, the Taipei Times:

taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003255810

This guy seems like a real dipsh*t. I wonder if he would change his mind about not letting the driving here bother you because it’s a “cultural thing” if it was his wife that was hit by some gormless nimrod speeding along in his blue truck … :unamused:

Have to agree with ya LB. “Shervin” does indeed sound like a gormless wonder.

And WTF is this all about? -> [quote]"…the Bible aphorism “in love, preferring others.”[/quote]
Sorry “Shervin”, that bit of mangled Biblical quotation is a new on me.

But he did get his letter published. More than I’ve been able to do so far.

i don’t know about this profile… i kind of more imagine a young malcontent suit wearing drunk salesman.

about the letter, one of the stupider things i read lately. you don’t remember that part in the bible, tc??? how i well remember, grandma ALWAYS used to say, “IN LOVE, PREFFERING OTHERS.”

Just wait till this guy has been knocked off a scooter a few times, terrorized on a pedestrian crosswalk or two, or perhaps run off the road by some amphetamine-powered gravel truck driver. :wink: The buddhist calm thing is easy when no-one is actually threatening your existence.

On the subject of how stupid can people be, I just saw on the news another prime example re the local ‘red bull’ type drink poisoning. They have a bloke on video going into the shop, pulling a bottle out of his pocket and putting it into the fridge. Forget the camera again? :loco:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]"…you don’t remember that part in the bible, tc??? how i well remember, grandma ALWAYS used to say, “IN LOVE, PREFFERING OTHERS.”[/quote]tempo -
While I will usually defer to GranMa’s, especially in Biblical references, no…I don’t remeber that phrase. Google is not helping with it either.
I do remeber “Do unto others as you would have them do to you”. Luke 6:31 , which is close in sentiment…I think.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]"…you don’t remember that part in the bible, tc??? how i well remember, grandma ALWAYS used to say, “IN LOVE, PREFFERING OTHERS.”[/quote]tempo -
While I will usually defer to GranMa’s, especially in Biblical references, no…I don’t remeber that phrase. Google is not helping with it either.
I do remeber “Do unto others as you would have them do to you”. Luke 6:31 , which is close in sentiment…I think.[/quote]

not surprised, it was just a joke. naturally i can’t remember either grandma saying that, the thought of grandma busting out with “in love, preferring others” just had me laughing. :slight_smile:

What a prick. Screwed by your boss? Its the culture. Beaten by a gangster? Hey, its the culture. Poisoned by heavy metal in your rice? Don’t be a big baby, its the culture.

On the suject of how stupid peeple can be, let’s not forget “stoopidheads: people who don’t know how to spell the word they made up” . . .

On the first page of this thread I wrote:

[quote]Thanks for telling us the good news. One of the greatest things about Taiwan is security cameras on the streets.

There was talk about installing them in Vancouver a couple of years ago but was met with much opposition because it fakkin violates people’s privacy when they’re out in public. I don’t know about now though. Maybe it went through?[/quote]

I just read this article:

[quote]Van. police say no to cameras

Amy O’Brian
Vancouver Sun

Thursday, May 19, 2005

VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Police Department has abandoned the idea of installing 23 video surveillance cameras downtown after research done in Britain showed cameras there do not deter property theft and violent crimes.

The department had been considering the controversial move since 1999, when it first proposed cameras in the Downtown Eastside, Chinatown and Gastown. At the time, the constable who penned the recommendation said cameras could reduce crime by up to 50 per cent.

But research in the United Kingdom – where there are as many as one million closed-circuit television surveillance cameras on 24-hour watch – recently showed cameras do little to reduce overall crime rates.

As a result, the Vancouver police board voted Wednesday to abandon long-standing plans.

Insp. Axel Hovbrender presented the study’s findings to the board Wednesday and recommended it shelve the idea.

“The research came back and it proved that the type of regime we were talking about … did not have the impact in relation to crime that was anticipated,” Hovbrender said.

Micheal Vonn, policy director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, applauded the police for paying attention to Britain’s “groundbreaking study.”

Research also showed that cameras have little, if any, impact on fights and disturbances in bar districts, confirming another study done by Edmonton police.

There has been renewed interest recently in surveillance cameras after a string of stabbings and shootings outside nightclubs.

Though cameras might not deter fights, research showed they can be valuable against auto theft, Hovbrender said. The department has not ruled out the possibility of using cameras in parking lots.

[quote=“914”]I just read this article:

What stupid, blinkered thinking – on a par with our looney VP’s objections to fingerprints on ID cards.

Surveillance cameras may or may not have a direct effect on reducing statistical crime rates, but they certainly make it easier to catch some of the scum who commit crimes, and therefore must be a good thing.

And if Taiwan already had a database of everyone’s fingerprints, they’d be able to quickly identify the Wild Bull poisoner, who (according to reports I heard on the radio this morning) left his prints on several of the bottles he tampered with.

It’s always funny when these fools share their “wisdom” with us. I feel like writing a sarky letter in along the lines of “Gee… I never thought of that! This guy is a living fucking genius! That’s the fucking answer! It’s the culture. Brilliant!”

SO all the childraping, suicide/child burning, maid abuse, confidence trickery that is reported in the Apple Daily is all A-OK because “it’s the culture” !

Mine eyes have been opened !

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“914”]I just read this article:

What stupid, blinkered thinking – on a par with our looney VP’s objections to fingerprints on ID cards.
[/quote]
We could have a whole thread on this with a poll and everything. I really don’t like having cameras watching me all the time.

We could also have a whole 'nother different thread about how stupid people can be, because this thread was started about something serious and sad.
How stupid can people be?