How the heck do I turn off automatic updates? Windows 10

Like for example, my neighbor who programs CNC machines, is a freaking computer illiterate (guess what the C in CNC stands for… it stands for computer). It means he knows how to use CAM software that a tech explained how to use (and took classes on). But beyond that, he really doesn’t know how to use file explorer and find some ini file to say get the program to do what he want it to do. Or even know how to install/uninstall the programs (he plans on getting the tech to come and do it for him. After all it’s a software he paid about 150,000nt for so they will offer any tech support to make him happy).

Anyways he would have been better off with a Macbook as it has seamless integration, and that means his Facebook logins (which he does NOT know), contacts, etc. all gets integrated from iphone, ipad, macbook, etc. all without him needing to do anything. Apple is great if you buy into their ecosystem and they made it so a computer idiot can do what they need to do. But unfortunately the CAM software he uses does not support Mac OS (not to mention Macbooks have poor 3D performance even in the higher end models, only if you buy a Mac Pro will you get anything that’s good, if you want to pay 150,000NT for the computer that is).

So he bought a Windows 10 PC and I have to sit with him and help him integrate with the new computer. Unfortunately Windows don’t integrate with iphones at all.

Ok. You guys explained it quite nicely. I slowly, but surely, resigned and agreed to give up my personal freedoms on the things i bought and paid for.

Now this. What the hell does this mean? My microsoft office suite just shut downtoo. For fucksakes, seriously…

Very direct question. I bought the new computer this year.

Is windows going to charge me for renewal or collapse in a year? that is my breaking point, im buying an old computer or trying to install older windows if thats the case.

This shit is frustrating as all hell as we paid out the ass for a made in taiwan computer and so far the microsoft douche bags have caused numerous troubles so far!

Just search for Microsoft Toolkit.

Just tried, no results. Or is it an online dowload?

I like to buy cheap puters. Unfortunately they seem to be good for about 3 years only until windows updates itself so often and so much that the puter gets bogged down and can’t run fast anymore. I had been getting a new cheap puter every three years(last three were all about 250 dollars and came with celeron processors, minimum everything else). Solution? Wipe out windows and install Linux Lite. Not good for everyone but for me, its great. Old puter now runs as fast as it did when it was new (granted its not as fast as new 250 dollar Chromebooks, which I plan to get now and give this one to a friend whos puter is more ancient than mine…ie…more than five years old as opposed to my 3).

This keeps echoeing in my head fromevery tech person i every met: linux

I am, unfortunately, retarded with comcomputers. I need secure (ish) enail, spreadsheets and able to listen to youtube while i work. not much pickier than that.

That said, i still have my 16 or something year old computer and it works. windows xp. Just the password locked me out so i dont use it anymore. I want to buy something, own it and not.have to think about it again. I expect 10 years minimum, but have realized the world is shallow and will accept 5 now. I have been using my photoshop cd for 20 years now. Happy to pay for a product that doesnt fail.

Is linux the only option? To be honest, its a little daunting to me as everyone that says its easy then talks for an hour on how to set it up.

linux lite is for windows users like myself. I have no issues setting it up. no issues using it. theres free software installed that takes the place of a lot of microsoft software. I can do spreadsheeets, word type things. whatever ! I can youtube, whatever !
i use my puter for emails and for being online with firefox. no problemo senor.

go linux and dont go back
WINDOW SUCKS

oh and i dont worry bout viruses either. they dont make viruses for linux much

1 Like

Sorry, just noticed you said linux lite. to be hinest the last time i tried listening to a linux guru was a decade ago and it seemed insanely overwhelming. going to give the googler a go on linux tomorrow and see how my brain dies with it.

Gotta ask, how the hell did you find computers for 250??? mine was 50k and the cheapest i could see in stores was still 10k…with china brands.

Bought em all on Best Buy
Toahiba and asus brands

Caleron and HDD

Cheap ones don’t have the best keyboards I hook up a wireless mouse and external keyboard and a 19 inch monitor snd use it as a desktop

Sounds like a legit and sound system.

I’ve never used Windows 10 to offer actual suggestions, but I don’t want to get left out of the conversation…

Once you try Linux … you definitely go back!

Other than tech development, Linux sucks

Except for those gaming companies who develop exclusively on Microsoft frameworks, I can’t think of anything that actually suck on Linux. Most Adobe tools have great open source alternatives or you can pay for an proprietary one that’s just as good.

If there are no programs you can’t find an replacement for, it’s all right.

Even though some replaceable programs I do really miss on Linux, especially notepad++ and directory opus.

But all the time wasted with configuring or fixing windows really sucks. Windows is way more reliable than it used to be , but no comparison to Linux. My windows server needs rebooting at least 12 times a year, my Ubuntu server is over 500 days up already, crashes never and needs a reboot usually once every 3 years (next LTS upgrade) plus maybe one unscheduled.
Well and same hardware but the windows server does crash 1&2 Times a year too.

If it’s supposed to be reliable, no way I would use Windows. Just more programs available. But if all you do is remote or browser based plus office suites, never ever would I chose something else then Linux

1 Like

Exactly, if that’s all you do, why stay with Windows? Popular browsers such as google chrome and firefox are exactly the same across OS. Microsoft Office sucks and aren’t even compatible between its own versions.

notepad++ is pretty old, and many text editing software on Linux do exactly the same thing, if not looking almost the same or much much cooler.

I’d say Atom and Sublime Text are the way to go if you want a modern interface. Otherwise, gedit, Geany, Kate, Notepadqq can get you pretty close in terms of UX.

I personally do most text editing in vim, but it’s not like I don’t get why the average user might not want to remember key bindings just to type plain text.

As for directory opus, I think Konqueror, Dolphin, and pacmanFM are pretty close.

Notepad++ still trumps on the formatting side, I really miss it when using linux. NotepadQQ simply cannot fully match it. But yes thanks god there is NotepadQQ - Geany or Scite don’t do it for me. But yes it’s way better than 10 years ago when I would use Notepad++ in Wine…

Directory Opus has no alternative, anywhere, but then on Linux you need it much less. On the other hand means much more console for doing stuff I would do with Opus.
Yep and LibreOffice at least is consistent, even though when it comes to Excel vs Calc it’s not as powerful. But well if you need those charts or whatever, you can install MS office under Linux too.

I sadly have a lot of old software or small tools that don’t exist for Linux. I don’t need them often so thinking more and more to just ditch the windows laptop and do all those things on my windows server.

And yes bash is way more powerfull than batch. But damn it sucks badly if you are used to using goto. No do not tell me to use for of if instead. For quite some things I do bash missing if goto instead of if then elsif just sucks so bad it’s crazy. then I can use bash for nearly everything on a linux subsystem but not the other way round. It’s fucking snobbism that bash doesn’t include goto. I have loads of scripts that sadly end up 2-3times as long because there is no damn goto.

Can you show me an example where goto is shorter than for or if?

I used to write perl 5, which has everything. I just remember it being a lot more difficult to debug when you have a whole bunch of goto labels sandwiched between lines everywhere.

Putting the block you want to call repeatedly into a bash function seems not that different from goto.

I was SERIOUSLY considering switching over to Linux. Then I tried to install something off the Ubuntu apps store and it failed, and then some other day the computer froze up.

And then I realized that Windows VSTi’s can’t be used in Ubuntu, although there might be some workaround for that.

Not super keen at the moment.