How to apply for a street performing license in Taipei/Yilan

Ahoy-hoy.
My friend and I are street performers and fire dancers–me with hula, him with staff and drum. We’ve got a pretty good act and tend to attract decent sized crowds wherever we spin. This was great, until a few weeks ago a cop kicked us out of Danshui for lack of license. Being foreigners, neither of us had a clue we even needed a license prior to this. I sought information from locals on how to obtain said license. They provided me with half the puzzle pieces: namely that you need to audition for the municipal government, and that the auditions are sometime in November.
Google searches have proved equally fruitless. I find the same half of the info I already know (chances are it’s all there somewhere, but in Chinese–which doesn’t help me).

I also perform solo in the Luo Dong night market about once a week. This is more for the experience than the cash, I just love spreading hoop love! Some other buskers (Taiwanese magicians) told me I should actually get a separate Yilan county license for this too; but that Luo Dong cops aren’t as on it as those in Taipei so I’m probably fine without one. Be that as it may, I’d prefer to be legit.

If anyone knows how to obtain a busking license in either/or Taipei or Yilan (or reads Chinese and can do some quick google research) I would be infinitely grateful. Hell, I’ll even through in some free hoop lessons if you want. (If you’ve never heard of hoop dance, here’s a practice vid I shot of myself awhile back hoopcity.ca/video/angels-falling.)

Peace, Love & Much thanks.
Shan

Taipei City organizes two auditions each year. Next one is on November 20, but applications had to be made earlier this month according to this article:

http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/article/art_id/32549064/IssueID/20100530

300+ applicants, 30% get a license

If I were you, I would go there on November 20 to ask around and see what’s going on. I think it is at the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall. Good luck!

Anyone have any idea where and when the 2012 audition is? Thanks! (I see it’s 30% chance…what do you think the chances are for a white guy singing songs in Chinese with a guitar? here’s hoping!!)

h

The chances are better that you could legally do this if you are married to a Taiwanese with a JFRV ARC or if you have an APRC with an open-work permit. If you are on an employment based ARC or student based ARC, not so much! :bow:

The chances are better that you could legally do this if you are married to a Taiwanese with a JFRV ARC or if you have an APRC with an open-work permit. If you are on an employment based ARC or student based ARC, not so much! :bow:[/quote]

I don’t think this is true. If you look at the application process in Chinese, there is a box for if you’re working and have a 居留證 (ARC).

The chances are better that you could legally do this if you are married to a Taiwanese with a JFRV ARC or if you have an APRC with an open-work permit. If you are on an employment based ARC or student based ARC, not so much! :bow:[/quote]

I don’t think this is true. If you look at the application process in Chinese, there is a box for if you’re working and have a 居留證 (ARC).[/quote]

Well then, it looks like you’re the duty expert here. However, I recommend that you check with the NIA. They are the ultimate authority. :slight_smile:

Mime?