How to argue with a global warming "skeptic"

Exactly, and read back through the last few pages, the only one who repeatedly is bringing up Vays wife and family is Vay. God help any of the posters who actually pick up on that and make a comment, and apparently it’s Fred doing the trolling. This thread is about global warming, I dont want to discuss Freds’ vays or my family in here, it has no place.

The question of how to translate a carbon tax to changing a persons behavior is. Since apparently that is the supposed purpose of the tax, please explain how it is not relevant. Perhaps if Vay stopped talking about his wife and how mean Fred is (hes got a thread going in feedback for that) he could answer the question.

Using people’s families? When and how? I consistently attack Vay for NOT doing anything about global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) himself. He consistently brings up his wife/child/dogs. I had a laugh at those more than a month ago and have not posted on this at all since then. If you disagree, then pony up the evidence to the contrary. I think that his lack of action on global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) is RELEVANT to a large degree. Others frequently attacked those who supported the Iraq War for not doing the fighting themselves. That precedent got set a LONG time ago.[/quote] Easy. Below from Aug 25:

See…you’re wrong. And I still say it’s ridiculous this kind of thing is allowed to stay up.

Remember back in the day when people actually had personal accountability? According to the moderator of this thread though if you do actually post as a real human being in any way shape or form it’s your own damn fault when some child mind can’t formulate a coherent argument so they instead make personal insults. Hey man, you gave them the ammunition, serves you right !

Nice try but why don’t you post the comments Vay made? Because it is very clear from that post that I am responding to Vay’s comments about his family and NOT initiating them? God! You guys… What a bunch of LAME ASSES! That’s the best that you can come up with and you don’t think that I or others can figure out from the text what is going on? D :slight_smile:

Here’s the full text of the exchange:

Vay wrote:

Fred Smith responded:

Vay responded:

Are you trying to be funny or your usual default of stupid? Cuz isn’t that exactly what I am criticizing Vay for? Ooops! Didn’t think that through far enough, did you?

I take full responsibility for Fred’s defiant mid-game stand. I empowered him. It was I who encouraged him. It was I who gave him strength to fight on. But I can no longer control him

Don’t go weak at the knees now. Buckle up! er, sorry, buck up! but just imagine me mispronouncing the last expression. I get my consonants mixed up sometimes… get my driFt?

Responsible use of a car in no way disqualifies a person from caring about the destruction humans are causing to this world. I would imagine most of the people doing the most good with respect to climate change also happen to own a car. Sure they take public transportation whenever possible, ride their bike or walk if they can, but this is a big world with big cities, we have jobs and families to get around and places to go. Whether they take taxi’s or responsibly use their own car out of necessity doesn’t mean anything. It would take a really special kind of stupid not to understand this. With Fred of course we get it, it’s totally over his child mind to comprehend, but I find it impossible to believe there is anybody else here who actually thinks owning a car is some kind of ah ha gotcha argument.

Vay has a car, so do I, so do most people. Can we move on now or what? There has to be better things to discuss than Fred’s mind numbingly stupid comment about cars…

Yes, they DO, but I do NOT. And, for all those people who care so much about global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) why is it that they are not getting rid of their cars (apparently this is VERY important in reducing carbon emissions)? Then, it becomes even funnier when you ponder the spectacle of the climate “denier” who does everything that the alarmists believe should be done… but won’t do themselves. THAT is funny or, maybe, sad… but it is RELEVANT to the argument about TAKING URGENT ACTION NOW!!! :doh:

Perhaps you don’t realize it but every attempt to address questions is brushed aside by you and more questions thrown as if that somehow addressed the points I made.[/quote]

Then feel free to point out where I’ve done so, and I will attempt to do better. But to me, silence just says “ignore”. I made a pretty thorough, friendly and respectful attempt to answer your criticisms about the carbon tax quite a few pages back. Got no answer at all. Same for your more recent criticism. So when you then come back with liberal this and left-wing that and basically a recap of what we’ve already heard after what appeared to be a blatant ignore, well, my tone shifts accordingly.

As for my questions, are you talking about leaded gas, CFC’s and acid rain? Call me crazy, but I don’t find it irrelevant that none of the major environmental issues in modern history have been solved by personal initiative or the Invisible Hand.

I didn’t say the planet cared. But by comparing countries you are basically comparing apples to oranges. Of course Australia can’t emit as much as China or India overall. Luxembourg was topping the list a few years ago - shall they nevertheless be exempt from any emissions caps at all, since they can’t in a million years emit as much as the US?

I still can’t see how Fred’s point is “a valid one”. TBH, I can’t even see what the hell his point is. That the collective action problem exists, therefore do nothing is the best solution? Please, do elaborate.

This is an interesting question, but it gets to the nitty-gritty of negotiations which I know nothing about, so I have to bow out on it. Notice though that I’m not ignoring your question - I’m telling you right up front it’s over my head.

Yes, sorry I was being coy. I was admitting in a roundabout way that my article didn’t prove my point. I’d read it a while back and didn’t remember the content well enough. But I brought up the BC stuff because it is in fact empirical evidence of a positive effect - if not a huge one.

I count one.

Oh I see. So because I was naive enough to have volunteered that information, that makes me fair game for months and months. Gotcha. I’ll try to remember this very cynical lesson.

Um, I pretty much try to go by the evidence. I have my biases like everyone else, and on this topic my bias is probably influencing the sources I choose. Nevertheless, I have yet to see good evidence that carbon taxes don’t work, let alone that the left-wing media is hiding this fact. If you want to claim that, go for it - but I’ll take you a lot more seriously if you offer evidence for it.

Yes I honestly realize there are such rules. But since the rule about personal attacks against me seems so flexible, I feel less inclined to follow other rules.

Yeah I’ve heard a lot of people speculate that people will carry on doing what they’re doing. That’s not the BC experience shows. People are basically rational, and therefore it stands to reason that incentives have an effect. Here’s a pretty clear sign of this:

Gas Prices Are Falling, So Of Course Americans Are Buying SUVs Again

So let’s see: if carbon taxes lead to higher gas prices, could there be any conceivable effect on consumers’ choice of vehicles? And could this in turn have an effect on overall emissions?

I don’t disagree that leakage is a problem. It’s like insurance; the more people buy in, the fairer it is. But for non-cooperators, it seems the typical game theory response is punishment - in this case, probably tariffs.

Yes, they DO, but I do NOT. And, for all those people who care so much about global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) why is it that they are not getting rid of their cars (apparently this is VERY important in reducing carbon emissions)? Then, it becomes even funnier when you ponder the spectacle of the climate “denier” who does everything that the alarmists believe should be done… but won’t do themselves. THAT is funny or, maybe, sad… but it is RELEVANT to the argument about TAKING URGENT ACTION NOW!!! :doh:[/quote]

Yes and we’re right back to the same bullshit. Only those with no sin at all may decry sin. So everyone now has to embrace sin?

Further, because one’s opponent is not an eco-saint, it somehow makes it ok to A) ignore any and all evidence B) employ fallacious arguments C) continuously repeat dis-proven, parroted talking points.

It’s nothing but non sequiteur garbage. And the fact that you don’t specifically mention my wife and child (anymore) when you bring up my “hypocrisy” is more bullshit. My car is already my personal life. And I have a car because my wife wants one. So when you bring up my car, I HAVE TO bring her up to defend myself against this bogus, irrelevant personal attack. And now you guys are criticizing me for bringing her up? JESUS. I can’t even BELIEVE Mick is defending you about this.

Now why don’t you mock me for being defensive about the irrelevant personal issue that you keep bringing up because you can’t win an actual argument? And then remind me to keep having fun and not take myself so seriously?

[quote]Yes and we’re right back to the same bullshit. Only those with no sin at all may decry sin. So everyone now has to embrace sin?

Further, because one’s opponent is not an eco-saint, it somehow makes it ok to A) ignore any and all evidence B) employ fallacious arguments C) continuously repeat dis-proven, parroted talking points.

It’s nothing but non sequiteur garbage. And the fact that you don’t specifically mention my wife and child (anymore) when you bring up my “hypocrisy” is more bullshit. My car is already my personal life. And I have a car because my wife wants one. So when you bring up my car, I have TO bring her up to defend myself against this bogus, irrelevant personal attack. And now you guys are criticizing me for bringing her up? JESUS. I can’t even BELIEVE Mick is defending you about this.

Now why don’t you mock me for being defensive about the irrelevant personal issue that you keep bringing up because you can’t win an actual argument? And then remind me to keep having fun and not take myself so seriously?[/quote]

Well, if this is no longer fun for you, then revisit the effort you put into this. Anyway, I will spare you the personal attacks but I am not going to stop criticizing people IN GENERAL for not walking the walk of their own personal beliefs. I think that is a fair balance. But, the worst thing about this for me is that you really cannot see the humor. Anyway, if it is not funny for/to you, then, enough. I won’t bedevil you with these comments anymore, but I will keep using global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) and URGENT ACTION NOW!!! Stopping those would be a bridge too far for me… I just couldn’t even if I wanted to.

It wasn’t a try, I showed that you did indeed write about them after you claimed you did not. What Vay wrote before was in direct response to your “do nothing” claims which started with (and has been backed up with nothing but reference to) his family. The going logic seems to be if Vay brings up his family then posters can “make fun of” said family or use them to score points in a debate. Anyone who was actually competent to discuss the issue wouldn’t need such tricks.

Vay, the problem with pushing people towards alternative choices is that there are none. The financial incentive to use fossil fuels has essentially disappeared. If you recall (from about 10 years ago) the economic experts postulated a $1/W (installed capacity) goal for solar PV to achieve cost parity with fossil fuels. The current price is well under $1 - it’s approaching $0.60 in high volume. Cost is not the hurdle.

You know as well as I do that any cash from carbon tax will disappear into the bottomless pit of government inefficiency. Consider the UK experience with fuel tax, which now stands at around 80%. Theoretically, this is a payment for externalities and for road maintenance. The UK gov’t won’t invest in transport infrastructure like light rail, tramways, or PRT because they have a visceral aversion to [strike]doing anything sensible[/strike] state-owned utilities. So in practice, all that money goes into the general pot and then vaporizes. People just grumble and whinge and pay up, because the alternative to owning a car is walking, and they know that won’t change anytime soon.

If fuel/carbon tax were earmarked for genuine development projects - that paradigm shift that CFImages mentioned - I think people would be a lot less unhappy about it. I just don’t see it happening.

Nice try. Let me try your artful approach to posting information and then rebutting it!

Reading is, indeed, a skill that is fast becoming a lost art.

But let’s look at your statement with new eyes:

[quote]What Vay wrote before was in direct response to his family.
[/quote]

OUTRAGEOUS!!! Why are you bringing Vay and his family into this debate while attacking others for doing the same? SEE! Fun isn’t it? Taking sections of statements to make one’s point. I think that I am going to really enjoy this. I intend to do the same with all of your “quotes.” Thanks for setting the precedent.

Which I have not been doing. But if VAY owns a car, then I think that is fair game. Anyway, I have already told him that I don’t intend to attack him on his lifestyle. I will, however, continue to poke fun of hypocrisy in general.

But wait, let’s try the Cooperative approach to creative debate:

[quote]The going logic seems to be Vay can “make fun of” his family or use them to score points in a debate.
[/quote]

OUTRAGEOUS!!! And I thought that you were here to support Vay. Where are the mods to stop such personal attacks and slander?!!!

Sorta kinda like the same trick that you are trying to use to selectively choose quotes/statements from people to prove your pointless point? Just curious how you justify your own actions doing so but criticize anothers. That is one of the most amusing things about this whole global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) debate. So, unless, you have suddenly become very witty, I will assume that this amusing point has sailed over your head like much else with regard to this debate and the postures people have adopted. Ah, but there I go again, attacking people when I should be taking the high road.

[quote=“Vay”]

Perhaps you don’t realize it but every attempt to address questions is brushed aside by you and more questions thrown as if that somehow addressed the points I made.

Then feel free to point out where I’ve done so, and I will attempt to do better. But to me, silence just says “ignore”. I made a pretty thorough, friendly and respectful attempt to answer your criticisms about the carbon tax quite a few pages back. Got no answer at all. Same for your more recent criticism. So when you then come back with liberal this and left-wing that and basically a recap of what we’ve already heard after what appeared to be a blatant ignore, well, my tone shifts accordingly. [/quote]

Silence does not mean ignore, we are on a public forum and from me it means I am giving what you said some thought. Everyone else can read what you said and a no answer means there is no immediate answer from me that would adequately address what you wrote. That doesn’t mean I have serious doubts or given time to look into the details will not be able to articulate exactly where and why I have misgivings. Like to change your tone because someone didn’t swallow what was being served? Might work well when talking about the science of global warming, regarding a carbon tax, that might not be the best idea.

[quote=“Vay”]
As for my questions, are you talking about leaded gas, CFC’s and acid rain? Call me crazy, but I don’t find it irrelevant that none of the major environmental issues in modern history have been solved by personal initiative or the Invisible Hand.[/quote]

Honestly, the incessant non stop of questions reminds me of a conspiracy theorist or a climate denier unwilling to engage in debate. To your credit this is a much better post, but would you expect to ask a climate denier to prove there is no such thing as global warming? Of course not, we make the claim and it’s up to us to provide evidence, which I would suggest is overwhelming, is it up to me to prove a carbon tax is ineffective? The same is true, Im not in the business of debunking theories, you make the claim, so you need to back it up.

[quote=“Vay”]
I didn’t say the planet cared. But by comparing countries you are basically comparing apples to oranges. Of course Australia can’t emit as much as China or India overall. Luxembourg was topping the list a few years ago - shall they nevertheless be exempt from any emissions caps at all, since they can’t in a million years emit as much as the US? [/quote]

What list? By per capita? Is that how we measure things, officially?

[quote=“Vay”]
I still can’t see how Fred’s point is “a valid one”. TBH, I can’t even see what the hell his point is. That the collective action problem exists, therefore do nothing is the best solution? Please, do elaborate. [/quote]

Ok, key point, please consider this carefully. You want as a government to bring down peoples overall use of CO2, how do you do that. You’r an example of someone who is well aware of the impact of global warming yet is very difficult to change your lifestyle can be expanded to the millions who really dont give a shit and how effective a carbon tax solution will be.

That was a tongue in cheek remark. I can understand why I got a bit of heat on it, but really? Haven’t I and other mods been urging you not to bring your wife and family into the debate?

[quote=“Vay”]
Um, I pretty much try to go by the evidence. I have my biases like everyone else, and on this topic my bias is probably influencing the sources I choose. Nevertheless, I have yet to see good evidence that carbon taxes don’t work, let alone that the left-wing media is hiding this fact. If you want to claim that, go for it - but I’ll take you a lot more seriously if you offer evidence for it. [/quote]

They may work. I took a look at your last couple of links the first says BC decreased fuel consumption from roughly 4.56 thousand liters in 2010 to 4.4 thousand liters in 2014. Whats that a 2% decrease, attributed to the carbon tax, must be right? Then opened up your other one by the Duke Nicholas Institute, who are these guys by he way? See, skepticism works both ways. You may recognize the same questions I ask of climate deniers that I am now asking from you. They claim in the second paragraph a reduction by 5 to 15 %, my skeptical bells are ringing. 

[quote=“Vay”]
Yes I honestly realize there are such rules. But since the rule about personal attacks against me seems so flexible, I feel less inclined to follow other rules. [/quote]

No comment. But so you don’t think I am ignoring this, will say some times when I don’t comment, its because Im not looking for a confrontation with you.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that just doubling down on missing the point? Aren’t you just saying the same thing worded a little differently? That people shouldn’t talk about anything real in fear of other posters blatantly breaking the forum rules? I don’t know, isn’t that what mods are for? What am I missing here? Just say, NO PERSONAL INSULTS and end it. Why the whole, yeah but you volunteered the info so… :ponder:

I have my entire business and personal profile in my sig, always post as myself, so what? I hate internet anonymity, it makes people act in a way they never would otherwise (see Fred Smith) So what, I’m supposed to expect to be personally insulted when reason and argument fail them? That’s just silly

It wasn’t a try, I showed that you did indeed write about them after you claimed you did not. What Vay wrote before was in direct response to your “do nothing” claims which started with (and has been backed up with nothing but reference to) his family. The going logic seems to be if Vay brings up his family then posters can “make fun of” said family or use them to score points in a debate. Anyone who was actually competent to discuss the issue wouldn’t need such tricks.[/quote]

Well said- and it’s not just that. Pardon me again for back-seat modding, but since we’re baring our chests, Mick seems to think my wife and child are the limit and as long as they are left out, it’s fair game to mock me about my lifestyle. I don’t agree. Two pages ago, Fred basically said “the point of this post is to mock you.” A long while back, Buzzkill said “your hypocrisy is now the topic is this discussion.” In my understanding, such comments are the very definition of personal attacks and should be verboten as such. It’s not at all the same as saying “this argument is bullshit” or even “this statement is dishonest”.

I think BrentGolf said it well above: No personal attacks. Period. Otherwise emotions rise and discussions devolve into where this one has. I’m honestly not mad because I feel hypocritical - I don’t, as I will try to reexplain to Fred shortly. But I am mad at what happens to the discussion when such apparently mean-spirited red herrings are given total leeway. Given what Fred has said above, I may be wrong that they are actually mean-spirited - but IMO it’s kinda like racist remarks: the definition of such lies not in the feelings of the speaker but in those of the purported victim.

Frankly I like a lot of what you’re saying here and in the last post directed at me - if I weren’t on my phone I’d point to specifics, but I’ll just say I recognize the wisdom in pointing to fun as the main goal of these discussions. I do tend to take things too seriously; there’s no denying that. I also appreciate your pledge for lack of a better word.

As far as hypocrisy, though, I’ve gotta say, while I’m perfectly ok with that being brought up in general terms, I really don’t feel hypocritical. I don’t do these arguments because I want to urge others to “do something”. As I’ve often said, mainly I’m offended by the affronts to science, scientists and logic that I see in climate change denialism. My own action plan as far as global warming has always been to migrate. This has been the typical response of our species to climate change in the past and I don’t see why this time is different. I only bring up a carbon tax because inevitably the question of “yeah, so what do you think we should do?” comes up, and apparently if one doesn’t have an answer, all the other points of the argument then become moot or something. That’s not to say I don’t believe what I say about a price on carbon as being necessary - I think it is… if nothing else than for the reason I said to Dog Breath.

I’m not worried about global warming because I’m a liberal or love the Earth. I worry about it because I love my daughter and care about the world she’ll live in. More indirectly I realize other people love their children too in the same way, and thus my concern extends to them. If I weren’t married and lived in Taiwan, I wouldn’t own a car. If I lived in San Diego and could afford one, I’d probably get a Tesla , drive a motorcycle or do my best to commute publicly. But even if one of these were the case, I wouldn’t consider myself as “doing something” about climate change; it’d be self-serving, really. A way to assuage my guilt for my civilization’s crimes and maybe even feel better than other people. In the current environment, feeling less guilty or feeling superior are the only rational reasons I can see for making big personal sacrifices in terms of one’s carbon footprint.

I’ve thought about that and realize I mis-interpreted my own change in tone. (May sound weird but one doesn’t always know why one feels the way one does). What I said about being ignored was a small part, but a much bigger one was that Fred outright admitted his post’s intention was to mock me and said he was right for doing so, as I deserved it. Instead of doing what I think ought to be your duty as the moderator, you came back and rationalized his attack. I DO think you have a valid point with your question about countries as individuals. I also think you’re mis-attributing that point to him unnecessarily and pissing me off in the process. His point was what he said it was: to make fun of me. I read (past tense) it as mean-spirited; he has said he didn’t intend it that way and I believe him. Hopefully that’s the last we will have to say about that. As for the rest of your points, I will try to answer them later today.