How to argue with a global warming "skeptic"

Mick I’m not gonna quote and paste because I’m on my phone and I spent too much time that I don’t really have these days on this earlier in the week.

1. About Lindzen and Ad Hominem Argument:

The context in which I criticized Lindzen was after I brought up Rahmstorf’s credentials and you countered that Lindzen’s were even more impressive. I wasn’t responding to any specific argument by Lindzen with that, so I don’t think it constitutes and Ad Hominem argument.

That said, we again come back to the same problem I brought up before: I don’t know about you, but as a total non-expert, I’m just not qualified to address his actual arguments. While it is true that simply to dismiss his argument as false because of his political ideology, affiliations and activities would be Ad Hominem - don’t you think it leaves us (or me) as non-experts a little problem if we want to investigate his arguments critically, but simply lack the scientific and mathematical knowledge to do so? Basically that leaves us in the intellectually-crippling position of having to say, ‘Well, expert A said this… but expert B said this other thing, and who the heck knows who is right?’ Then we all just throw up our hands.

In fact, this is exactly why denialist strategy #1, promoted explicitly by Luntz in the memo I quoted a while back, and used long before that by the cigarette industry and others since works so well: produce experts who contradict the mainstream scientific narrative, get them out in front of the public at every opportunity to create a doubt in the public mind. I assume you’ve read Merchants of Doubt and know how all this works, so I won’t say more about it, except that it works for a good reason. Which is why I said the stuff in my lengthy post at the bottom of page 53 about Vegas and all that. And it is without a shadow of a doubt true that Lindzen is one of those handful of scientists, in this case. I realize it doesn’t make him necessarily wrong… but it throw up a lot of red flags around him.

1. About Rahmstorf and argument from authority:

I see how you could interpret my words that way, but two things: I didn’t know you’ve been reading RealClimate for years. The way you were expressing yourself, it kinda sounded like you thought the author was just some ax-grinding alarmist climate blogger. And as for “telling you how it is” or however exactly I put it, I meant, “those are the actual, specific numbers we’re talking about”. Which, I’m pretty sure, really is how it is. I definitely did not mean that Rahmstorf’s argument is automatically right just because he is an expert; however, siting expertise in an inductive argument is not fallacious.

Like I said to Fred, sources matter. Credibility matters. Heck - I’ve had anti-GMO, anti-vax, even CREATIONIST people take an argument way over my head. At that point, I have to admit I’m out of my depth and all I can do is take the matter back to the sources I trust. That doesn’t mean I don’t keep an eye on those sources, and if they start getting called out on repeated issues of bias, taking inappropriate funds or what-have-you, I’m going to de-trust them, difficult as that will be. It’s happened before.

So-called “knowledge” is really just a leap of faith - the best we can do is try to keep the length of the leap as small as possible.

1. About my standing on shaky ground:

About models, I now have a sense of what you’re talking about, although so far I’m not very much persuaded. I will try to do a little more reading up. On the issue of temperatures, however, I’m really curious. I understand that there are issues about how temperatures are taken, problem with site locations, problems with the whole idea of temperature anomalies, etc. But the modern temperature record is corroborated about ten different ways, just with human measurements. In addition to that, there are natural factors such as animal migrations, when seasons arrive and so forth. When you have this many independent lines of evidence pointing at the same conclusion, it’s really hard for me to see how that could be called “shaky ground”, whatever complicated over-my-head arguments are made. It’s true there are quibbles over this or that method of homogenization and so forth - Curry brought up one in the article which Fred posted. But those are points really best left for between scientists; so far I’ve never seen a single argument why they should be important enough to constitute ground shaky enough to influence the decisions of policy-makers.

But let’s say I’m totally wrong and even the temperature record is totally questionable. Ok, then fine: so-called AGW skeptics should be willing to sit there, and hammer that out until the question is basically settled to the degree where a reasonable person would say, ‘Ok, yes, temperatures are increasing at basically such-and-such a rate per decade’… or else say, ‘No, the argument stops here. You can’t even prove the globe is warming. Why go any further?’ But what they do is the strategy so typical of denialism in general: not actually refute anything or provide a better method or better explanation: just try to conjure up some reasons for doubt, and stay sitting on them. Then they progress to the next argument… and whenever that’s not going so well, suddenly it’s right back to “skepticism” about the temperature records.

To quote the Skeptics’ Dictionary:

I don’t mean this to be an argument from authority: I mean it to be a very reasonable heuristic for a non-expert trying to make sense of things in the world.

As far as the Ludic Fallacy, I think it was? I’ve never heard of that one. No criticism of the argument intended here, but it strikes me as a ironic to hear this - given how many times confusing statistics have been used to try to discredit aspects of AGW theory by people like McIntyre and many others. One thing I like about Tamino (Grant Foster) is that he really has a nack for making the statistics in this issues somewhat intelligible. In any case, I will try to read up on it - but I think we will get back to the same problem I keep bringing up. If I/we don’t truly comprehend the statistics involved, I/we aren’t going to be able to assess whether they’re being used inappropriately in this instance, and it’s still going to have to go back to heuristics: what is the credibility of the source on this issue, is there any evidence of intrusive bias, what do other experts say, etc.

Finally, about fallacies in general: look, I’m not saying I never engage in fallacious reasoning or bad argumentative tactics. Course I do. But I think there are reasonable vs. unreasonable levels. When practically every representation of one’s opponent’s argument is a caricature, when relevant points and questions are constantly avoided, when questions are asked with literally no hint of interest when an answer is produced, when personal attacks are habitual, when one uses things like lymerics to constantly annoy the other participants in a discussion - I think it’s not unreasonable to say this person has gone off the rails into trolling. Sorry, I feel there’s peace now and don’t raise these issues to re-start anything, but you seem to be saying I’ve been employing fallacious reasoning all along - hence I’ve just been getting what I deserve - and I think it’s fair to defend myself against this assertion.

So, if you feel that you are not qualified to address his actual arguments, how do you know that you are qualified enough to trust in the sources that you provide to attack him?

I’m not doing anything of the kind.

Yes, you like to dismiss everything as denialist. We have seen that, but if you are not qualified enough to refute Linzen, then how do you know that this fits in with the denialist strategy? And does everything that you disagree with miraculously become “denialist?”

Yes, you appear to have read Merchants of Doubt. No doubt you have also seen the movie Syriana? Perhaps, you have seen all of Michael Moore’s films as well? Would that make you “qualified” to express these opinions and with a sweep of your priestly hand dismiss all of this discussion as taboo? haram? heresy?

Finally, you like to refer to Luntz like it means something and, in a way, it does, but not in the way you portray it, again, no doubt due to “denialism?”

1. Luntz DID make an effort to get Republicans to use “climate change” instead of “global warming.” Yet, it is the Democrats who, by far and away, now use “climate change,” while the Republicans, prefer to use “global warming.”
  2. You make other points about Luntz that I still struggle to follow. Given that his efforts with his support base were totally irrelevant, you seem to be suggesting that the mere “intent” to challenge global warming (SORRY!!! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!) and to do so in one’s official capacity as a speech writer, public relations professional, politician, scientist, business person, concerned citizen is tantamount to engaging in some kind of conspiracy.
  3. While we are at it, your pet sites may like to refer to this great corporate shenanigan in raising doubts about cigarettes and their affect on health but that is not really where the big debate was. Your pet site is engaging in the same kind of effort that you accuse Luntz of, namely, trying to cloud/confuse the issue. The real debate (and where your Democrat voting, climate concerned lawyers were active) was with regard to the effects of SECOND-HAND smoke. Following the successful looting of tobacco company coffers by trial lawyers like John Edwards, the same pack of Dobermans started salivating over the next big killing in the tort realm and that was by inflating the effects of second-hand smoke in an effort to sue hundreds of thousands of companies and airlines and hotels for providing unsafe working environments to their employees. At least, be truthful about that!

So, if you feel that you are not qualified to address his actual arguments, how do you know that you are qualified enough to trust in the sources that you provide to attack him? [/quote]

By the very kinds of heuristics I’ve discussed above. Because I don’t know enough about science and math, doesn’t mean I know nothing about logic, clear reasoning, well-sourced information, corroborating information, corroborating sources.

I’m not doing anything of the kind.[/quote]

You are, sort of. I’ve often heard you frame the whole debate as basically nothing but a he-said, she-said - which leads to exactly this result and where, I believe, you hope the whole discussion will head.

I’ve already addressed this lots of times, and I’m really more interested in getting back to your other posts about climate models - but spent much too much time on that answer to Mick.

Merchants of Doubt isn’t fiction, so what’s your point? It’s meticulously-referenced journalism.

My points on the matter couldn’t be clearer, though you seem determined to make it seem otherwise. Basically I’d say you’re just caricaturing me again, but in the interest of giving you the benefit of the doubt, I suggest you do a search under Luntz and my name if you want more clarification. Mick should remember, as he specifically asked me about it. Mick, do you think there was anything unclear about my position?

Regarding the smoking issue, oh, I’m pretty sure you’re wrong about that but we’ll have to leave it for another time. First on my plate is the stuff about the models, and who knows when I’ll be able to sneak that in.

Has someone been trying to play around with Wittgenstein? I merely ask because “heuristics” is a bit of a mouthful for self-learning, isn’t it?

Interesting! Let me see whether I have understood you correctly.

1. You admit that you are not qualified to understand Linzen. Correct?
  2. You admit that you “don’t know enough about the science and math,” correct?
  3. So, if you don’t have the qualifications and don’t have the requisite knowledge regarding the core sciences, er, how do you know that your “knowledge” of “clear reasoning/logic” is sufficient to enable you to determine which treatises on climate change are “well sourced?”
  4. So as you move forward to corroborate information/sources, what you really are saying is that you have a predisposed bias toward approving certain sources over others and that really you are taking these sources and their “knowledge” of math and science and, by extension, climate change science and their “qualifications” for the same “on faith.”

So, is my logic clear enough for you? or are you going to engage in further “heuristic” efforts to rise to the challenge?

Thanks for that Vay, I do in fact think there is a tendency to use fallacious reasoning. Not intentionally, and in some cases as you modestly admit, you are not the expert and given that it might end up as one person quoting one persons experts against another, you go with what seems the majority and less proven wrong. I would say that is normal.

I would like to discuss Freds comment “The datasets and climate models are not sufficiently accurate/robust.” A little further, and try not to make it technical and the more I think about it think the claim they can do accurately is indeed a Ludic fallacy.

Now you asked if I was an expert, and as it turns out when dealing with feedback, in fact I am. for a long time I worked in audio as an Engineer. Now just for audio we are already taking about something that is mathematically very complex. This is for something we can model with something like an impulse response (like a hand clap or gunshot), that gives us an initial value to work with. Then if you were modeling the sound of a room, or a church or something else, the details on how to correctly model become increasingly more difficult. For example at the basic level, you need to know how the sound bounces of walls (early reflections) and then how later sounds which may have bounced off two or three surfaces (late reflections) and lastly know how they all intermingle (diffusion) over time with a decay.

Most people who do this have PHd’s or a professors and it really is so difficult some will spend their whole lives studying just the reverb (fancy word for echo). Now consider what we are talking about for the earths climate. It is so complex, with so many different forms of feedbacks, it may be in fact quite impossible to accurately represent the system as a whole. At least for us today, with our limited knowledge and limited data to input and limited computing power.

Forget about all the internal variations they are just getting around to now, if they can ever do a good job with that. They need to factor in melting ice, which would have a positive feedback, maybe the water forms clouds, which could be negative or positive, the wind may blow it from once place to other, so you need to understand that, the clouds may deposit snow, causing a negative feedback. Oceans have shelf’s transporting water from one continent to another, so that has to be factored in. It goes on and on, the Amazon for example acts as pump drawing in clouds as evaporation of water rises back up. Some of these ideas we are only on the edge of discovery let alone being able to incorporate them into models.

Thats before we look at the problem computers will have actually dealing with all the numbers and how something like quantization errors perhaps compounded with propagation that get compounded so badly over a 100 year prediction, the result is virtually useless. Not to mention, the impulse response here would be the current state of the planet which (and I dont mean some crude global mean temperature which is fairy useless) you need the state of oceans deep, atmosphere, winds, everything. Which we don’t even come close to having.

Something you should entertain, and Im not saying CO2 doesnt cause a warming effect, or that there isn’t going to be forcing, both positive and negative associated with that. The idea we can accurately model the outcome, at least for now, may be a lie. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming the modelers, this may be one of the most complex problems of all time. But seriously, the more I think about it, the current models may be simplistic, very simplistic, perhaps too simplistic to properly do a good job of modeling the earths climate.

edit, I did see this and its well worth a read, Climate Models’ “Basic Physics” Falls Short of Real Science

Anyone else lost in this convoluted web of reason and argument?

Fred and Vay, lay out your best, most succinct argument for your side in one short paragraph or less

There is no consensus behind climate change alarmism.
There is no urgent need to do anything.
Continued research is wise.
The proposed measures about “doing something” involve vast sums of money that will go to wasteful projects and government bureaucracies.
Wasting billions and losing trillions in economic development for 35 years is no reason to double down and waste the same for the next 35.
The NGO side of the equation has been mostly about “raising awareness” in nice vacation destinations: Paris? Cancun? Bali? Durban?

Conclusion: Identify a small number of research institutes and then fund them and only them. When and if they arrive at a plan, look at it from a policy perspective. Until then, mellow the F*** out, calm the f*** down.

Anyone see Donald Trump fielding questions after the big debate?

After the big “Obama is a Muslim” questioner, someone asked about Global Warming. The Donald asked everyone, “Anyone here believe in Global Warming? Anyone? Not too many . . . One over there . . .” You couldn’t see how many in front of him raised their hands, but behind him, only one person out of a few dozen did.

[quote]Anyone see Donald Trump fielding questions after the big debate?

After the big “Obama is a Muslim” questioner, someone asked about Global Warming. The Donald asked everyone, “Anyone here believe in Global Warming? Anyone? Not too many . . . One over there . . .” You couldn’t see how many in front of him raised their hands, but behind him, only one person out of a few dozen did.[/quote]

I understand that this “Santa Claus isn’t real” moment must have been a difficult one for you. How about we get a few pieces of brightly colored paper and some crayons? You can explore how you feel about this disappointing revelation by expressing yourself through art.

I’m guessing more would have raised their hands if he had asked if they thought Santa was real.

Isn’t he? ISN’T HE? :laughing:

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]Anyone else lost in this convoluted web of reason and argument?

Fred and Vay, lay out your best, most succinct argument for your side in one short paragraph or less[/quote]

Something tells me Fred can do this in far less than one paragraph, as his “argument” would mostly be comprised of :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :hand: :hand: :hand: GLOBAL WARMING !!! :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

Vay’s on the other hand is based on a massive amount of real data and peer reviewed work that couldn’t possibly be summed up in anything close to one paragraph

[quote=“fred smith”]1. You admit that you are not qualified to understand Linzen. Correct?
2. You admit that you “don’t know enough about the science and math,” correct?[/quote]

Yeeeeah, I think I made that pretty clear…

“Well-sourced” means they link to up-to-date, un-retracted, peer-reviewed research, published in respectable journals (yes, I’m able to find out what is and isn’t a respected journal) - and that the research actually says what they claim it says. This part, I’m mostly capable of checking - I’m able to read English fairly well, as long as what I’m reading isn’t too technical. Sometimes, I’m too busy/lazy to read the original research, or it’s inaccessible behind a paywall - but it’s okay, because there are usually people around who will be very happy to point out if something gets misrepresented… usually it comes up right in the comments sections. That’s another way you can tell if a source is good - incidentally… the quality of the comments sections. Now again you’ll direct me to your original question, but it isn’t that hard to tell. If people are spouting a lot of conspiracy nonsense, or parroting canards, or their logic just doesn’t follow, that’s low quality (basically what one sees at WUWT, mostly). Oh, and another thing about “well-sourced”; good sources will have the academic credentials of contributors posted. This isn’t a guarantee, but if they aren’t posted - or they don’t check out under scrutiny, that’s a big red flag.

Fred, I already said it to Mick - everyone does that. If you think you don’t, you are deluding yourself. The question is not whether or not you take a leap of faith, but just how big that leap is. The whole point of skepticism, is intellectual humility. Our memories are shit. Are brains aren’t built for abstract reasoning. Our entire grasp of reality is just a simulation in brains. It goes on and on.

Let’s put it this way: I put up a bit of pop-science about research from a climatologist - any climatologist. Heck, I can’t even get you to open a link, let alone read the article. But let’s say you actually do, and that you disagree with the article. So then what? Do you actually go to the research, challenge it, refute it using your extensive knowledge of physics, chemistry, statistics and what-have-you? Course not. You wave your hands at it. Maybe if you’re feeling really motivated, you look it up on WUWT.

So where’s the difference between you and me? I, at least, actually care what the truth is. We differ in that you want the science to be wrong, because it rubs up against your ideology. I want it to be wrong, too, because I’m fearful for my daughter’s future. But I try to at least check my bias about that and the door and make a best effort that don’t just tell me what I want to hear and find sources that give a good sense of what the best current knowledge actually says, and I put my bet there. But everyone’s got their strengths and weaknesses: you are definitely way way funnier, and can really turn on the charm when you try.

Mick, thanks for that post - it was very interesting and food for thought. I’ll have to chew on it a bit, but if we assume it’s true, the best we can conclude from it is that we’re flying blind here. There is a presumption though that I find worrying - Fred’s Economist article is full of it - that uncertainty necessarily works in our favor. My own sense, from the fact that ice melt levels are ahead of projections, heat waves rates have at least tripled since the seventies, massive animal and seasonal migrations are under way, not to mention ocean acidification and a number of other factors, is that uncertainty is more like a Sword of Damocles dangling over our beds.

Anyway I’m going to take a break from these arguments and do some reading; I want to at least take a whack at some of the stuff you linked to earlier - and can never do that while the discussion keeps moving forward. One thing I did want to show you, since it goes nicely with what I posted earlier… did you read the bit I wrote about the “blind test” where statisticians were presented by journalists with temperature data? Here’s another such test that was just done:

[quote]The authors asked a group of economists (each with a Masters or PhD degree in economics or an allied discipline) to evaluate the trend in global temperatures without awareness of the source of the data.

The experts were told that the data referred to agricultural output and were asked questions about whether the agricultural output had “stopped”. In fact, the authors took exact statements from a climate contrarian, except they replaced words associated with global warming with statements associated with agricultural productivity.

In this blind test, the experts strongly rejected the agricultural “pause” conclusion. In fact, they found mention of a pause “to be misleading and ill-informed”. The experts were divided about whether the “pause” statement was also fraudulent. What is particularly convincing is that a blind test like this, which removes the effects of personal biases or preconceived opinions, is the gold standard for many research areas.[/quote]

In a blind test, economists reject the notion of a global warming pause

I’ll try to read the paper over the next couple of days and also see what some of the nay-sayers are saying about it. Peace.

[quote=“BrentGolf”][quote=“BlownWideOpen”]Anyone else lost in this convoluted web of reason and argument?

Fred and Vay, lay out your best, most succinct argument for your side in one short paragraph or less[/quote]

Something tells me Fred can do this in far less than one paragraph, as his “argument” would mostly be comprised of :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :hand: :hand: :hand: GLOBAL WARMING !!! :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

Vay’s on the other hand is based on a massive amount of real data and peer reviewed work that couldn’t possibly be summed up in anything close to one paragraph[/quote]

Brent, I actually liked Fred’s summary. If not for premise one and premise two, I probably would’ve agreed with it! But I find nothing wrong with the fact that he is able to sum it up so succinctly… in fact I think it’s a good thing.

Ps however, Brent, as always, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]Anyone else lost in this convoluted web of reason and argument?

Great question BWO and Fred’s answer was masterful (edit: though, IMO, the falseness of the first two premises renders it invalid), but I’ll do my best in these few minutes before hitting the hay.

1. even setting aside climate models which have are still basically on track, the paleo record shows past doublings of CO2 led to between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees temperature rise. At our current rate of emission, we will accomplish that twice by 2100. Thus we can pretty safely expect temperatures to increase by at least 3 degrees in this century.
  2. scientists mainly agree, even 2 degrees is not a guaranteed safe limit for our civilization.
  3. given these two facts, we are probably facing a clear and present danger as a civilization
  4. in the past, this kind of crisis wasn’t resolved by assuming a techno-fix or “development”. Large-scale, decisive action was taken. If my earlier examples like leaded gas or CFC’s don’t impress, think “Manhattan Project”. Think “impending meteor strike”.
  5. the means already exist to deal with the problem; and being honest with ourselves about the severity of the problem will produce even better developments. Conversely, lying to ourselves about it will impede progress in the right direction.
  6. every big analysis that’s been done has said the costs of inaction outweigh those of action- and there are benefits of action to consider too, like ending deaths from particulate pollution, cleaner air, etc
  7. the biggest barrier is thus not ability or incentive but the collective action problem
  8. ever heard of the Prisoners’ Dilemma? When the prisoners focus on their own selfish interests and wont work together to beat the rap, they both lose.

Oh yes - and conducting a one-off, uncontrolled chemistry experiment on our planet’s on and only atmosphere and oceans is frackin STUPID. Of COURSE we should do everything we can as a society to stop it. Luckily, for all our faults, when people put their minds together, we can accomplish kick-ass things.

While we are at it. Here is my question to Fred and Vay. This discussion has been going on for quite some time (years?). Have any of the other’s arguments had any (even a little) impact on your thoughts regarding global climate change, and if, what were they and how did they change your thoughts?

[quote=“fred smith”]There is no consensus behind climate change alarmism.
There is no urgent need to do anything.
Continued research is wise.
The proposed measures about “doing something” involve vast sums of money that will go to wasteful projects and government bureaucracies.
Wasting billions and losing trillions in economic development for 35 years is no reason to double down and waste the same for the next 35.
The NGO side of the equation has been mostly about “raising awareness” in nice vacation destinations: Paris? Cancun? Bali? Durban?

Conclusion: Identify a small number of research institutes and then fund them and only them. When and if they arrive at a plan, look at it from a policy perspective. Until then, mellow the F*** out, calm the f*** down.[/quote]

1. “There is no consensus behind climate change alarmism.” There is definitely a consensus on the most important points, but this has been one of your go to logical fallacies throughout this thread. You try to pick apart certain smaller segments of the overall science, and you feel if you can prove there is no consensus or maybe still a lot of work to be done there, than you have suddenly disproved all the other major areas that absolutely do have a consensus.

2. “There is no urgent need to do anything.” Akin to saying yes you have cancer, yes it’s spreading, and yes you will die if you don’t do anything about it. But meh, no urgent need to do anything. :loco:

3. “Continued research is wise.” It is wise, because people who actually care if their beliefs are true will use the research to form actions. You however shouldn’t be saying research is wise because you don’t acknowledge it when you see it anyway. It’s hard to see how continued research will do anything to sway you given the swaths of current research already available that you have summarily ignored. It’s the same thing as all these crusty Republicans always saying we need to do more research. Why even say that? It’s classic kick the can. You’re not going to acknowledge it anyway so what’s the point in saying it?

4. “The proposed measures about “doing something” involve vast sums of money that will go to wasteful projects and government bureaucracies.” First off, I can’t imagine a better use of money than to literally save the lives of the people inhabiting the planet so turning this into an economic argument is already on shaky ground. Secondly just because projects have a tendency to be wasteful and expensive does not mean you just throw your hands in the air and say fuck it. I hope it’s done efficiently and cost effectively and there is definitely a path to accomplish that. However even if it isn’t that doesn’t for a second mean it shouldn’t be done. There is a laundry list of inefficient wasteful government programs and projects that none the less are a net positive.

5. “Wasting billions and losing trillions in economic development for 35 years is no reason to double down and waste the same for the next 35.” First of all, you’ve done nothing at all in this thread to prove your point that trillions have been wasted. That’s just a random statement you pulled out of your ass. On balance, I could just as easily say that a great many positives have come from the money spent and it was a smashing success. Just declaring that X dollars were spent and wasted doesn’t actually make it true. Secondly, same as the last one. Small price to pay for being alive Fred. You seem to be having trouble grasping this concept. It’s not live well vs live poorly. It’s actually quite a bit more finite than that.

Which ones are to be funded, name them please. If the President decides which ones are to be funded, will you accept that? Something tells me this conclusion of yours is a non conclusion in disguise because I don’t imagine you’ll support the ones that the current administration would.

You’ve been saying for 56 pages that hasn’t worked so it’s odd that is your final conclusion. Secondly, WHO looks at it? All the brilliant men in Congress? The ones who hold up snowballs on the Senate floor and say Global warming is a myth? The government you don’t trust? The bureaucracy that you said is wasteful and inefficient? Your conclusion seems to be more circular logic.

You sound like Trump. Oh we’re going to be looking at that, we’ll look at a lot of things, it needs to be addressed and we’re going to be looking into it. We, who, what, huh? :doh:

Challenge: You say you don’t have the “qualifications” or the “knowledge” but you do claim to be able to determine well sourced. Has Judith Curry never been peer-reviewed? Has Linzen never been peer-reviewed? Has Ball never been peer-reviewed? Has their work never appeared in “respectable” journals? It has and it has so you are back to square one. YOU don’t have the ability to determine and your method for determining which scientist’s work you follow is clearly biased. Again, you have made up your mind about the subject and the rest is merely “faith.”

But are those comments peer-reviewed? and now you add lazy and not capable of anything that is “too technical.” So what you are really saying is this: You rely upon others to summarize what you don’t understand. You rely upon others to take the “too technical” language and reduce it to something that you can digest. Okay, but how do you know that those who are summarizing this data are doing so correctly and, more important, fairly? when you don’t have the “qualifications” or “knowledge” to understand what is “too technical?”

And with that, you have my complete agreement. It IS a big red flag.