How to change visa status?

Have read past post but could not find a definate answer to my question.

BACKGROUND:

My friend wants to move to Hualien, his wife’s hometown.

He currently has a job in Taipei. His ARC and work permit are through that job based on his status as being married to a Taiwanese lady.

QUESTION:

If my friend quits his job and moves to Hualien how does he go about changing his visa status from what it is now to being based on marriage?
What docuements would be required?

Thanks in advance.

[quote]His ARC and work permit are through that job based on his status as being married to a Taiwanese lady.
[/quote]

Well which is it? Is it through his job or based on his marriage to a Taiwanese lady?

If it’s based on his marriage, no worries, sweet. If it’s based on his job, then, he shoudl change to a JFRV as soon as possible.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]His ARC and work permit are through that job based on his status as being married to a Taiwanese lady.
[/quote]

Well which is it? Is it through his job or based on his marriage to a Taiwanese lady?

If it’s based on his marriage, no worries, sweet. If it’s based on his job, then, he shoudl change to a JFRV as soon as possible.
[/quote]

You missed my point all together.

What is needed to switch from an ARC through a company to an ARC open work permit based on marriage?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“geo”]

What is needed to switch from an ARC through a company to an ARC open work permit based on marriage?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You will definately need to get a notarized copy of a document certifying that you don’t have a criminal record. You have to get it back from your home country and notarized by a Taiwanese office in your home country.

You will also need a copy of your household registration, which is a simple matter. You also need a physical, complete with a stool sample.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“geo”]

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You will definately need to get a notarized copy of a document certifying that you don’t have a criminal record. You have to get it back from your home country and notarized by a Taiwanese office in your home country.

You will also need a copy of your household registration, which is a simple matter. You also need a physical, complete with a stool sample.[/quote]

But I have heard that in some cases the police do not require these documents as the way things are handled vary around the island, Taipei being the strictest.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Should it not just be simple as going from one visa status to another and registering a new visa? Why do I have to fill out all the extra forms and go through the hassle? I have already been in Taiwan for over 10 years with an ARC based on work.

I don’t get it. Why the extra hassle???

Thanks in advance.

[quote]I don’t get it. Why the extra hassle???
[/quote]
That’s the gubmint making your tax dollars work. :unamused:

I see, one of them, eh? well you fall under section 98983465-98346143=07=67 of the unwritten Immigration act and therefore . . . .

Seriously, can’t you get an APRC for having lived here more than 185 days a year for the past 7 or five (depending on how your marriage is interpreted). Loads of hoops and a fair bit of loot for that too unfortunately.

HG

Can’t I just go to the Police station and have my “status” changed from having working in an office to being married to a Taiwan local?

Yes of course you can. In order to do this, you need to show them a Joining Family Residence Visa, for which you need to provide a Clean Criminal Record Certificate, a valid medical examination from an approved hospital, and your wife’s Household Registration bearing your name in the “remarks” section.