How to complain about a bad ambassador

So while in Italy, I drove the new Taiwanese ambassador around to show him Tuscany. He was a guest to my gf’s family’s annual party. He was just an awful and rude man. He was late both times I picked him up out of my own time during my vacation by an hour. He didn’t say thanks for being nice and driving him instead of having him just take a car. He dressed horribly and was not a attractive man. Also smelled like moldy clothes… He did not dress like an ambassador at all. He doesn’t even speak italian…I don’t know how you can be an ambassador to a country and not speak the language.

And he even complained that I was rude to him to my gf’s dad when I’m really just trying to focus on driving in a place I never drove before. And the town we are in all hates him. They were excited the ambassador was coming but he was so rude and acted like a snob. He was so picky at restaurant, saying he didn’t eat this and that that they got annoyed. The whole town heard about him.

Is there someone I can contact to tell them that he is just an awful ambassador. Seeing we have only like what? 14 countries or something? How can you find one that doesn’t even speak Italian. Even The Italian ambassador speaks chinese here…

I didn’t know Taiwan even had an ambassador to Italy. The two countries have no official diplomatic ties.

The holy sea recognized Taiwan…for now. Not with this asshole around i’m sure.

Call 1999

Was he on official business or personal time?

Did you spend time with someone personally and you want to complain to their place of employment because they were rude and annoying? If he is that bad then his office and colleagues and Taiwan already know it.

What’s his name? 侯清山 Javier? Hou Qingshan? He is not an ambassador. He is the Taiwan representative i.e. pseudo ambassador.

His Italy office: http://www.roc-taiwan.org/it/

1 Like

Sounds like a real winner!

FWIW, Ambassadors are rarely expected to speak the language of the country they’re representing, although it does happen. And of course, they almost all make some attempt to learn it while they’re there. A few words and phrases in the local language go a long way to maintaining friendly relations…

Where in Tuscany are you? What a great time of year to be there!

It’s actually really hot. There’s like forest fires because it hasn’t rained in a while. It like 45 degrees

this is asshole in the picture. I want him sent to one of those countries no ones heard of in africa

:rofl:

He will be very grateful. Those are very coveted posts as he gets a lot of extra money to compensate his suffering.

Oh and some of the heads of representative offices do insist on being called ambassadors, as technically speaking they have the same functions even though ROC has to diplomatic relations with the target country.

I am sorry you encountered a very rude official. You can complain but also technically speaking they just can’t fire him. In the government you have plenty of people certified mentality unfit, among other non qualifications. Once they get on the hog they can’t be fired. He might get a bad review but career wise, he’s on top of the hill.

The man was a guest of your gf’s family. Just because you didn’t like him, you want to be vindictive because of your own personal issues. Look, you must give your personal info to report someone. Also, you need valid reasons to start a report. What are you gonna say? You will say he was rude to you, so he doesn’t deserve an ambassador’s position. With your info, he might contact your gf’s family and tell them what you did. What would happen if he is a friend of your gf’s parents? You will mess up everything, and your in-laws may cut their relationship with you. You might lose your gf as well. Is it worth? He may not speak Italian, but you don’t know what kind of job he does. Maybe the Italian government considers him qualified to work there. They still can communicate in English. Don’t let the personal issues to affect your future relationship with anyone. You never know when you need someone. It is not smart to have enemies with your in-laws’ friends. You don’t need to like this person, but just avoid him in the future.

2 Likes

I think he is using a personal issue to revenge someone. I don’t understand how some people can take little things to life. Maybe they have never been in hard times. He is angry because the guy was wearing crappy clothing, smelly and complaining about the food. I know some people may be unconvenient mostly. But, I learned to avoid them and wish for their happiness as well. We need to live peacefully than live with a bitter heart.

1 Like

Call Apple news.

I did an internship at the foreign ministry like last year. I don’t know too much about the “ambassador” per se but the staff are actually very often fluent in local languages. For example one of the guys in my office had stationed in Greece and Honduras before and he speaks both Greek and Spanish, and my boss there had stationed in Haiti and Belgium so he is fluent in French, though ironically he barely speaks English. The younger employees would be sent to different countries to learn the languages in preparation of future delegations. One of the … junior associates (?) in my office was sent to Spain for intensive Spanish courses, for example.

Idk about the higher-ranked officials, though it would not surprise me if they were stationed as representatives because they have more connections.

P.s. Speaking of Italy. While I was “working” there I heard that the Italian representative in Taiwan is almost always drunk. It’s kinda hilarious.

I forgot people here take things really seriously and can’t have a little fun. Obviously I don’t have the power to send someone to one of those African villages. But I would like to write that he was doing a piss poor job and making a bad impression to people. I left out many personal details for obvious reasons of other people. Zero sense of humor here. It’s a democratic country last I check no? I don’t like the guy representing me, I’d like to file that he didn’t do a good job if possible. It’s not revenge, I think he was doing a poor job representing taiwan. Don’t need to get all technical.

lol I might lose my gf. You really thought deeply about this. He isn’t their friend. This was a huge 3 day party where people more important than him fly from all parts of the world annually to come to. I just drove him because I’m Taiwanese and I speak Chinese and helped him translate. He was just so rude to me and others in Italy. So yeah, I’d like to say something. No I’m not going to write a paper about how he hurt my feelings.

2 Likes

Yes, this is true. I knew the last representative as well before this new guy came in. He did enjoy having a good time and was always invited to the party.

Look, I don’t know about your expectations but let’s say it takes a special kind of folk to work as a civil servant anywhere in the world. I could say more but I need my job. And Taiwan is not that bad.

For example, the other day as I was leaving the office, I realized that if I wanted to have a similar position in the old country, that would be impossible without a godfather. No patronage, no work in this particular field, no matter your accomplishments or ability. Of course ROC also has that as well as the occasional sex for promotion exchanges and others, but it is not rampant. I’ll take a rude but honest ambassador over a lazy thief any day of the week. Moreover, they may not be model fine nor courtly refined but most Taiwanese know that they can count on MOFA workers to get them out of a pickle. I can’t trust my own country of origin foreign service workers for routine stuff: to this date, they have lied to my face, snickered and I must grind my teeth and shut my piehole when they launch double entendres my way about why I live abroad and basically, I know they will screw me up for fun just because they can. Makes you feel quite helpless and angry and appreciate Taiwan’s civil servants. Imagine if all NIA officials were out to extort money for renewing your ARC or told you to come pick up your stuff on Friday but you must leave your passport…then “lost” your passport…Or other fun stuff. Sigh.

1 Like

Well, did you tell him you were uncomfortable? You were giving him a ride, so you were doing him a favor. If he complains, you were supposed to tell him to leave your car. This is what I would have done. I did this before. I would take him to a ghetto area and ask him to leave. I want to see if he dares to be rude in my car. But, you accepted everything he did to you during the day. Now, you want to report him to see if he will be fired. Just do it. Do you have any afluent family still living in Italy or Taiwan? In most cases, people will just ask him to apologize. According to Taiwanese culture, if you don’t accept his apologies for a human mistake. Then, you will be considered as a vile human being. About Italian people, my best friend is an Italian. They are easy to be angry with someone, but they still forgive when people apologize. If you don’t have any afluent people in your family, then I believe your report will be ignored. It sucks, but you must know how the society is.

I also heard that he liked it a lot in Taiwan so he’s been the Italian representative in Taiwan since like forever ago.

But apparently a post in Taiwan is very sought-after in the field of diplomacy, according to some sources, so it’s probably not a something worth reporting. :no_mouth:

There is a limit at how long they can stay abroad. They can’t be that happy forever.