How to deal with GF chewing with her mouth open

Ok, so i’ve been dating this great girl for the past two months or so. She’s cute, smart, and funny and things are going really well between us…love to spend time with her. However, she has this nasty habit of eating with her mouth open, which causes her to make loud wet smacking noises while she chews her food. I know this is a stupid small thing, but it’s one of my biggest pet peeves. Ive been trying to ignore it but it’s really a big turn off for me. Anyone have any constructive ideas about how to broach a subject like this?

Dump her, find another one.

You can take the girl out of the farm, but not the farm out of the girl.

No such thing as a stupid small thing, man. I’d wait until she did it again and just stop eating and look at her. When she questions your glance, say “in the west, we close our mouth, it’s strange to hear someone chew with their mouth open” and let it develop from there. Or go passive aggressive and right after sex one time, when you’re laughing and joking, ask her what is the one thing about you that bothers her more than anything, because you know, you want her to be happy (HA! sorry)…

:loco: why bring up the west? I’ve never been to the west and I chew with my mouth closed. Chewing with your mouth open is a bad habit, is all.

:loco: why bring up the west? I’ve never been to the west and I chew with my mouth closed. Chewing with your mouth open is a bad habit, is all.[/quote]
Presumably Fester’s from the West, so in that context, it makes it a cultural thing, and not a personal preference from Fester

:loco: why bring up the west? I’ve never been to the west and I chew with my mouth closed. Chewing with your mouth open is a bad habit, is all.[/quote]
Presumably Fester’s from the West, so in that context, it makes it a cultural thing, and not a personal preference from Fester[/quote]
Nah sounds patronizing. I wouldn’t bring up more ‘differences’ when trying to resolve an issue. I think he should say like it is. It’s not a pleasant thing, he doesn’t like it and he would appreciate it a lot if she would try and change it. Honesty being the bestest policy and all that.

1 Like

Hahahahahaha right I’ll remember that when I do stand-up. You have obviously never dated a 23 year old Taiwanese girl… recently. Seriously, more proof that a women’s forum and a men’s forum are appropriate.

These kind of habits are very difficult to change. Imagine trying to deliberately eat with your mouth open while eating. It would be very difficult, no?

I like people around me to be relaxed, so I wouldn’t ask her to change her eating habits. I’d just dump her.

This particular habit bothered me a bit as well. We ended up sharing our minor irritations with each other and it worked out well for both of us. But I’m sure we were quite established in our relationship by that point in time. It could of course be fun to find out what you do that bugs her. It could also be the end of the relationship. But mutual sharing of peeves is one option if you both care about each other enough. You’ll need to learn to be open with each other sometime, anyway.

“GF chewing with her mouth open”?! :roflmao: It seems like a lot of people do that nowadays. Makes them look cool and nouveau-chic.

“GF chattering with food in her mouth”. Now that’s considerably more serious. :no-no:

Stick a light bulb in her mouth. If she’s the right girl for you, it will light up. :2cents:

My wife advises to bring this up when you’re not eating, but when you’re talking about food or restaurants. Bring up the subject of table manners in a roundabout manner and ask what proper table manners are in Taiwan, and find a way to say what the important ones are in your culture. If she gets the hint, then fine. If not, on to a more elaborate ruse:

Have dinner with your gf and another two friends. Make sure Friend B is eating with his or her mouth open, and then have Friend A bitch at him or her for doing so. You can chime in with a “Yeah, Friend B, it IS disgusting, but Friend A, you don’t have to be an asshole about it.” Friend A can say, “Look, I can’t eat watching the food going around and around like that, and I certainly don’t need to hear all the sound effects. It’s like watching a dog eat oatmeal. Anyway, it’s not like Friend B was raised in the zoo or anything - he should know better.”

Your gf will probably think this friend is a jerk, but she won’t feel personally offended, but she will also be getting the idea that this is a grave social faux pas in other countries. If your girlfriend ever chews with her mouth open after that, you can say “Oh, man, have you been hanging out with Friend B behind my back? Why, you’re almost as noisy as he is!” It will be a little less confrontational if you can put the brunt of the insult on your Friend B.

Years ago, I once sat right next to a young (Taiwanese) woman on an airplane who ate very noisily, until I couldn’t bear it any longer. I asked her to please eat more quietly as she was putting me off of my own meal. She looked mortified, and I felt bad, but only briefly, because she then finished chewing the rest of her food with her mouth closed. I was able to unclench my jaws and relax.

It’s not considered a bad habit in Taiwan. It’s normal.

Grab little hot chile peppers and when you see her chewing with her mouth open, try to toss one in. She’ll learn. :2cents:

It’s not considered a bad habit in Taiwan. It’s normal.[/quote]

Nonsense. It’s low class and educated and well mannered Taiwanese don’t do it either.

Whenever I am uncertain how to handle a delicate social situation, I ask myself, “What would Jesus do?”

That is what Jesus would do.

You are new to each other. A comment of such a personal nature could be taken lightly or (more likely) taken very seriously. She may start to introspect on herself and you and whether you are suitable for each other. And start to look for ways where you wont match her or she not match you. It could possibly be the beginning to the end of your relationship.

If this relatively small thing bothers you, right at the beginning, shes most likely not the one.

Id probably say nothing as girls with their mouths open turn me on, but thats just me. I just “hate” (read love) it when a pretty girl yawns, like on the mrt. :slight_smile:

I’m telling my in-laws that a Man in Mucha said they’re low class and uneducated and poorly mannered. I’ll emphasize that I don’t agree at all, of course. Lord no. But I’ll tell them so they can see how wrong that Man in Mucha is.

What bout in Japan where its proper to slurp your noodles loudly?

It’s not considered a bad habit in Taiwan. It’s normal.[/quote]
Nonsense. It’s low class and educated and well mannered Taiwanese don’t do it either.[/quote]
Muzha Man’s right.