How to download a RealPlayer file instead of playing it?

I can watch the presidential debate using realplayer… can’t seem to get it to download though. When I right-click and choose Save Target As… it tells me the server is unavailable.

Seems strange that I can watch the file but I can’t save it, any tricks that can help me?

try downloading from here:

download.com/RealPlayer/3000 … 55189.html

or do you mean you can’t download the debate?

ok then wait a while til their servers ready (ie tech fixed the problem)

Yeah, there’s a simple little trick. Vote for Bush and I’ll tell you.

[quote=“jplowman”]I can watch the presidential debate using realplayer… can’t seem to get it to download though. When I right-click and choose Save Target As… it tells me the server is unavailable.

Seems strange that I can watch the file but I can’t save it, any tricks that can help me?[/quote]

Since I don’t know anything about Windex, I couldn’t tell you how to do this in IE, but on Linux most browsers (Mozilla, Konqueror, etc) will go into download mode if you left-mouse-click on the icon/file-name while holding down the left shift key.

However, I never use RealPlayer either. It would no doubt be useful for watching both p0rn and the presidential debates - I’ll leave it to the reader to decide which of the two is dirtier.

best regards,
Robert

“We of the Church of Linux believe that use of Windows is
not a sin, but rather penance.”

Check this out

I seem to remember some of the older pay versions of real media player let you record streams. It looks like the new one doesn’t.

There is a lovely program called “Hidownload” that will allow you to download streaming media. I had it set up on my notebook this spring and it was wonderful, but now that I’ve changed computers it doesn’t always work reliably, don’t know why.

Just google for ‘Hidownload’ and you’ll find it.

you can probably look at the html source code for the page and find the real url. could be something like

website.com/whatever/folder/file.ram

and use some program to download it.

Try to get a program called “Net Transport”.

I tried Hidownload but I couldn’t download the NHL games on nhl.com but it was a breeze with Net Transport.