How to find a High-Level Professional Job

Starting the process.

Not interested in some crappy, run-of-the-mill, common, just one of the guys in the dept type job. Hoping to land a high level Senior Manager/Director/Dept Head/General Counsel type job, preferably in the US, but will consider staying in this part of the world for Asia Regional Counsel, etc. Shooting high.

Obviously, step one is get the resume in top shape. I’ve worked on mine so many times over the years that I feel pretty skillful at that. But, can anyone suggest a really top-notch service that will review and help skillfully revise professional, executive type resumes?

Next, I’ve always done it myself, typing a resume, scouring job Websites such as monster.com and the Martindale Hubbell directory of law firms and sending out dozens of inquiries on my own. I’m sure I’ll do that this time. Any must-see job Websites?

But I’m also thinking of using an executive headhunter. Has anyone had good experiences with one? Do they really have better capabilities than diligent self-efforts? Who do you recommend (for US and/or Asia)? How are they generally compensated?

Thanks.

Headhunters and friends in the inhouse biz (ie referrals) are your best bet. I really can’t see things like monster.com helping you find that hi-powered GC job. but don’t quote me.

I thought u were enjoying your current job? or is it the location you want to change?

No idea for law, but Executive Search are used in finance. Definitely get yourself broked by a head hunter and don’t send your CV out by yourself.I think head hunters get like thre months of your starting slary - nothing out of your pay, mind you. Still big corps seem to prefer this, and if they don’t, they probably can’t afford you.

HG

It’s been a great job. Fantastic experience. Never could’ve gotten such big experience back in the states. But it’s been 3 years and I’ve been carrying all the weight in the dept forever, my boss does absolutely nothing, none of my colleagues is truly competent, all come to me for assistance, so I’m exhausted, ready to work in a company with competent people around me who will share in the work and can be relied upon to do a halfway decent job, and I can take time off occasionally.

Also looking forward to a house in the states, with cooler weather, a yard, deck, barbecue, garage, real kitchen with real appliances, quick access to nice mountains/beach without hordes of people, etc.

It’s been a great job. Fantastic experience. Never could’ve gotten such big experience back in the states. But it’s been 3 years and I’ve been carrying all the weight in the dept forever, my boss does absolutely nothing, none of my colleagues is truly competent, all come to me for assistance, so I’m exhausted, ready to work in a company with competent people around me who will share in the work and can be relied upon to do a halfway decent job, and I can take time off occasionally.

Also looking forward to a house in the states, with cooler weather, a yard, deck, barbecue, garage, real kitchen with real appliances, quick access to nice mountains/beach without hordes of people, etc.[/quote]

I hear that x2.

I can’t tell you how many times my colleagues don’t bother to read my emails (after carefully laying out all options, etc.) where I ask for a decision (a, b, or c) only to end up with a “yes, sounds fine”. Or people coming to me last-minute with problems they’ve known for months. It’s amazing how lazy and incompetent people can be… and these guys have 1-2 projects at the most while I’m juggling double-digit cases. /rant

MT my only experience with this is that I don’t really have any. Never mind. This is what I want to say:

I know that the world’s largest retailer, Wal-Mart, has many different hireing practices at different levels. They only hire exects and top level guys throught specific agents or referrals (not that you’d want to work for Wal-Mart). I’d immagine that candidacy for any top level position would warrent some sort of representation agency. Well, I know that agencys specializing in placing executives exist, so they must be there for a reason.

Good luck! And don’t forget us little people. From the top you have to really squint to see us.

In my experience, success with a headhunter is pretty random, but you never know. If they have something on their desks at the moment your resume comes in, you may get an interview. I got a decent “filler” job through a headhunter several years ago, back in the US. I think it doesn’t hurt to sent your resume out to a number of them, and they are so common nowadays, a growing industry. Just do a google search and you’ll find zillions in any city you’re interested in.

As for resume services, I have a friend who is a career coach who can possibly help you. Just PM me if you’re interested and I’ll put you in touch, but know that he’s in demand and not cheap.

One more thought–have you considered hanging out your own shingle? With your background, I’m sure you could do some specialized consulting work. Just a thought.

Which is why I wondered if anyone had any good experiences with one upon which they’d be willing to make a recommendation.

Thanks. I don’t like the “not cheap” part, but I’ll definitely consider that. I’ll work on it further myself, first, though to see if I still feel it needs help. And maybe run it past my bro first.

Yea, thought about that. I was self employed in the mid 90’s and enjoyed that, but was living in a fantastic setting and doing a lot of bicycling back then, so I had trouble staying at my desk every sunny afternoon and it didn’t work all that well. Now I am certain I’d be much more successful at that. And, I believe it could be quite lucrative ($300/hour x 20 hrs/week - low overhead = wow!) and allow one to live in a nice setting.

But, in a way that feels like a retreat from the serious working world, a step back/aside into lackadaisical premature semi-retirement again. I’ve worked very hard here in Taiwan building up my experience and resume, so I feel I’ve got to do the big corporate thing while I can and do that flaky stuff later.

Yeah, it’s best to set aside time in the final quarter to run and play when one’s body can barley manage a girl’s bike with a basket.

Which brings to mind an image of a friend in just that position. :raspberry:

How is his resume?

Which is why I wondered if anyone had any good experiences with one upon which they’d be willing to make a recommendation.

Thanks. I don’t like the “not cheap” part, but I’ll definitely consider that. I’ll work on it further myself, first, though to see if I still feel it needs help. And maybe run it past my bro first.

Yea, thought about that. I was self employed in the mid 90’s and enjoyed that, but was living in a fantastic setting and doing a lot of bicycling back then, so I had trouble staying at my desk every sunny afternoon and it didn’t work all that well. Now I am certain I’d be much more successful at that. And, I believe it could be quite lucrative ($300/hour x 20 hrs/week - low overhead = wow!) and allow one to live in a nice setting.

But, in a way that feels like a retreat from the serious working world, a step back/aside into lackadaisical premature semi-retirement again. I’ve worked very hard here in Taiwan building up my experience and resume, so I feel I’ve got to do the big corporate thing while I can and do that flaky stuff later.[/quote]

If you’ll tell us what region(s) you’re interested in, perhaps we can recommend headhunters who cover that area. Some headhunters are global, but most have a regional focus.

I have a gut feeling that at some point in the future, you’re going to view going independent in a much more favorable light.

Mostly California, Colorado, Taiwan. Know any good headhunters in any of those regions?

I do view it in a favorable light. Very favorable. I’ve seriously considered it many times. But after building up a corporate track record over the past few years, going out on ones own seems to be a major step off of that ladder and, I would think, could seriously damage any prospects of getting back on the ladder. (Like teaching in Taiwan :smiley: ). It might be more satisfying going solo, might provide very good compensation, might allow time for family and fun, but if I ever want to try being at the top of the heap in a big corporation (Ok, at the top of one of the heaps, at the feet of the big guys) then I should try now while it still may (or may not) be possible, cuz if I step off the ladder again it won’t be possible.

But I appreciate the suggestion; maybe I’ll give it more thought.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]But I’m also thinking of using an executive headhunter. Has anyone had good experiences with one? Do they really have better capabilities than diligent self-efforts? Who do you recommend (for US and/or Asia)? How are they generally compensated?

Thanks.[/quote]
Bingo. But…headhunters find YOU, not the other way around. Never, never, EVER pay for their services. Get your resume in top shape and post it to a handful of whatever online job sites you lawyer types use. HGC is correct, your future employer will pay the hh out of his pocket, not yours. Tomas is correct, they tend to serve a slice of geography in your market. If your services are in demand, believe me, they’ll call you asap.

It’s like fishing, bro. The more flexible you are with the geography, the more bites you’ll get.

Sorry for the lack of specifics, but that’s the way to go.

Best of luck!

So he should just dress up real nice and stand on the corner and wait?