How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

[quote=“BaiChi”]Hello,

I would like to know how people who work outside of teaching got hired. I am interested in both people with 2 years experience after graduation, and those without (more interested in this though).

I know some people here have got jobs without having 2 years experience after graduation and had no problems. How was this accomplished? I have found a new job outside teaching and just found out about the rule, and so has my company. We both don’t know what to do.

I’m not really interested in committing fraud, but I guess that’s what people are doing? Is there a way around this rule? Experience before graduation have any affect? I’ve heard this rules are being changed, but I understand why they exist, and who they protect.

Thoughts?[/quote]

There is a way around this rule. Basically, each company can have one exception employee. You create a shell company for each employee and each employee will be the one exception. But that’s about all I know at this point. It does take quite a bit of time, money, and extra paperwork tho.

i don’t know if i posted in here already, but i got my job through adecco (headhunter). i have a 4 yr degree in math and comp sci w/3.5 years exp back home so getting the work permit was no problem (as far as i know…company took care of it for me). my chinese is pretty bad.

anyway, i recommend trying headhunters, you might get lucky like i did.

I’m ABT, college grad, flying to Tainan in 2 weeks, staying for close to a year. What can a foreigner with minimal Mandarin/Taiwanese skills do to earn money outside of teaching English at a buxiban? I have plenty of English copyediting/research/nonprofit experience on my resume, but no English teaching experience, so I don’t want to go that route unless I really need to…

If ABT implies that you don’t need a visa, you could always tutor until you find more suitable work.

Already
Been
Tickled
???

African
Born
Taiwanese
???

(American born Taiwanese-- I got a visa and only have an American passport)

Chief, close enough :wink:

You could try copy-editing for one of the three English-language papers here.

Don’t let not having teaching experience put you off looking for teaching jobs. Experience doesn’t make that much difference.

(Please note that the post below does not apply to every poster in this thread.)

Now, I know you’re all good guys, so I know that none of you guys could possibly mean to be saying, “Pull up the ladder, Jack, I’m inboard.” I know you don’t mean to be saying that at all, so it pains me to say this, but, you know, that’s kinda what it sounds like.

I see the ABT thing as a statement of fact, and I think that in Taiwan it might turn out to be a significant fact:

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/what-is-an-abc/60042/14

[quote]She got a job teaching English when we were in Taiwan but was fired because too many parents complained that a “Chinese person” was teaching their children English. Nevermind that my wife speaks English with a North American accent, speaks only basic Mandarin, knows very little about Chinese culture, and considers herself American. The ignorant parents wanted a white face, and she didn’t fit the mold.

And this was in Taipei. I question whether Taichung or any place in Taiwan at all is truly “friendly” to FBC English teachers.[/quote]

It’s not all gloom and doom:

There are other success stories, and not just in the English-teaching field. I certainly don’t want to discourage daoni from coming over here. There are potential advantages to being of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage. But do you guys honestly think that foreign-born Chinese status lacks significance–here?

Or is this maybe an esthetic thing? Is the term ABT unlovely, or something?

[quote=“Charlie Jack”](Please note that the post below does not apply to every poster in this thread.)

Now, I know you’re all good guys, so I know that none of you guys could possibly mean to be saying, “Pull up the ladder, Jack, I’m inboard.” I know you don’t mean to be saying that at all, so it pains me to say this, but, you know, that’s kinda what it sounds like.

I see the ABT thing as a statement of fact, and I think that in Taiwan it might turn out to be a significant fact:

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 4#p1191754](What is an ABC? - #3

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 44#p832744](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #4 by OKao

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 88#p837088](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #7 by mosa_krosa

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 10#p844610](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #12 by mosa_krosa

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 72#p749472](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #8 by ac_dropout

[quote]She got a job teaching English when we were in Taiwan but was fired because too many parents complained that a “Chinese person” was teaching their children English. Nevermind that my wife speaks English with a North American accent, speaks only basic Mandarin, knows very little about Chinese culture, and considers herself American. The ignorant parents wanted a white face, and she didn’t fit the mold.

And this was in Taipei. I question whether Taichung or any place in Taiwan at all is truly “friendly” to FBC English teachers.[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 27#p750527](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #9 by Gao_Bohan

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 95#p762495](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #11 by OKao

There are other success stories, and not just in the English-teaching field. I certainly don’t want to discourage daoni from coming over here. There are potential advantages to being of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage. But do you guys honestly think that foreign-born Chinese status lacks significance–here?

Or is this maybe an esthetic thing? Is the term ABT unlovely, or something?[/quote]

Thanks for this post, Charlie Jack. I’ve read some of these threads and it can be like a mess of discouragement… Still, it’s good to know what I’m getting myself into. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will you need an ARC through your job or will you get it through your family?

If it’s the later, there are many jobs open to you. If it’s the former, things will be more difficult.

[quote=“daoni”][quote=“Charlie Jack”](Please note that the post below does not apply to every poster in this thread.)

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/what-is-an-abc/60042/14

Or is this maybe an esthetic thing? Is the term ABT unlovely, or something?[/quote]

Thanks for this post, Charlie Jack. I’ve read some of these threads and it can be like a mess of discouragement… Still, it’s good to know what I’m getting myself into. :p[/quote]

You’re welcome, but now I’m kind of sorry I posted it. I only meant to show that there are challenges, but I overshot the mark. :blush: Please wipe my post from your memory. I’m just a negative old buzzard. :laughing:

There really are success stories on the board, and elsewhere of course. I encountered some of them earlier today when I was searching the board for posts about the experiences of foreign-born Chinese/Taiwanese, but I didn’t use them because I was trying to make the point that it’s often challenging. Additionally, I’m pretty sure there are long-term posters on this board who are of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage and are successful at what they do. I think a lot of foreign-born Chinese/Taiwanese come over here and do quite well for themselves, and there’s every reason to believe you will, too.

Just in case you do become interested in teaching English, I’ve read on this board that some of the big school chains don’t discriminate. And of course there are other things to do besides teaching English.

Also, I ought to point out that a lot of people on this board know each other, and they’re a good crew, so I think you can get a lot of guidance and moral/emotional support from them.

All the best!

Singing? This dude has made a niche for himself. I think a lot of teachers could easily move into this area.

brianfunshine.com/

[quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote=“bismarck”]Anyway, it was OT banter and I don’t think any of us who mentioned the ABT vs Taiwanese American terms meant anything wrt to how being non-white (and therefore fitting into the local stereotype of what an American and therefore an English speaker is) applicant would affect or not affect your chances of getting gainful employment.

Unless I missed a post or something where someone said that… :idunno:[/quote]

Yeah, I guess I was taking my cold out on you guys. :laughing: Sorry.[/quote]
No worries, I think you posted some useful links there. :thumbsup:

Hope you get over the cold soon. :wink:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Singing? This dude has made a niche for himself. I think a lot of teachers could easily move into this area.

brianfunshine.com/[/quote]

Good find, Chewy. And if somebody’s not into singing, voice work looks like a possibility (from the same website):

[quote]I have been doing voice over work in Taiwan for over 6 years! In Taiwan, there is a small market for voice talent for educational materials, such as listening tests, vocabulary books, children’s educational materials (with lots of characters, stories, and songs), adult English education materials, etc.

I provide voices and music for cartoons, video games, toys, movie trailers, web sites, narrations, company videos, commercials, audio books, and songs![/quote]

I’m coming on to my second year teaching in Taiwan and I just signed a year-long contract with a great school. However, I find that I’m already burning out from teaching.

While I enjoy it, I’m exhausted at the end of the day and it leaves me no time to do other things, like learn Chinese. My Chinese skills are still at beginner level and this is partially because I’m exhausted after working all day. Also partially my own fault for not applying myself more.

My question is (and I’m aware it may be silly) what other jobs could I get here aside from teaching? I’m an English major and I love to write. I’d love to fix all those grammatical errors I see on signs and other things.

Any advice?

If you are looking for relaxing work that provides time to do other things, maybe you should be looking for a different school rather than a different career. In Taiwan, most other jobs require you to work Taiwanese or near Taiwanese hours. In my case, I taught about 25-30 hours (afternoons and evenings) a week in the beginning and went to TaiDa to study Chinese in the mornings. After a couple of years when I got to the level where I could use my Chinese in my job (presentations, phone calls etc.) I moved to account manager. But, I work far more hours now than I did as a teacher, with the benefit being room to move up as well as a position that actually carries some weight on a resume.

Teaching really is the best job if you are looking to study at the same time. You’ll just need to organize your hours to allow for the other things you want.

I know there are a lot of random posts about the topic of this post, but most of them are getting a little dated, so I wanted to start a new one.

I moved to Taiwan about a year ago and have been working as a copywriter. It has been good, albeit entirely boring, and I am trying to figure out what else is available for a guy like me.

I’m not terribly interested in teaching, though I’m considering a stint to make some cash, but I am wondering what other sorts of work are available.

I have 5 years of media / marketing experience, a bachelor’s degree and that’s about it.

I’m planning on transitioning to finance when I head back to Canada, so I’ve been looking around for entry level jobs here, but my Chinese isn’t good enough for any of them I don’t think.

So the questions for discussion:

What types of jobs are available to foreigners other than teaching?

Do any of these jobs pay decent cash? (>60,000NT / month)

Any finance or banking jobs / internships around for English speakers?

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“frika”]
What types of jobs are available to foreigners other than teaching?[/quote]

Copywriting (sorry).
Technical/marketing writing/editing, which isn’t much different.

Practically none, especially for someone with no or limited experience.

Occassionally some of the analyst firms may seek a part time editor for financials, but this happens more and more rarely, since the economic crisis, and the pay, well, see your #2.
Internships?
Fuggetabout it.

No, thank YOU.