How to freeze your sperm in Taiwan?

What are these called in Mandarin? Anyone know any reputable ones, preferably publicly funded and owned such as at a big hospital? What kind of pricing can one expect, and anyone gone through the process?

1 Like

I didn’t know freezing sperm long term was a common thing.

I guess maybe if have a vasectomy, health condition worried about having bad sperm in later years.

My mom brought it up. She saw it on some daytime drama show.

2 Likes

I found that they offer this at some of the public Taipei hospitals. Going to go in a few weeks to check prices.

Freezing sperm and getting a vasectomy should be standard practice for all smart single men.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Taipei veteran hospital refused me. They said infertility patients only.

It looks like I may have to go the private clinic route. It seems the public hospitals will only freeze sperm for cancer and infertility reasons. That’s a shame, because I trust public hospitals a lot more than for profit clinics that might go out of business or have not great storage standards.

Did they give a reason? Seems odd that they would exercise editorial control over reproductive choice.

Please note the posted forum rule: serious replies only to medical questions of any nature

Maybe since it is a public hospital, their policy is to only freeze sperm based on medical need. But the doc didn’t seem that educated on sperm quality - he said males do not have the same problem as females as they age, and that there’s no medical need to freeze sperm. But my internet sources say there’s a degradation after 40 in males.

That might be true. But males release millions of swimmers in one go and you only need one for fertilization. Technology is good enough to find the odd good one in the batch. So poor sperm quality is not an obstacle to fatherhood - it may be for natural conception, but not for IVF.

I checked with Nuwa lab Google Maps which has good reviews

Freezing sperm is 8k NT fee + 10k NT / year (after 1st year). You need to renew every 10 years per Taiwan law. They said the swimmers won’t expire even after 40 years.

1 Like