How to get a driver’s license

I can drive and already have a CA license. I would like to get a Taiwan driver license so I can rent a car. However, the road exam at DMV is pretty difficult and I failed a coupled time.

I’m thinking about taking a class but they don’t seems to have something for just the road test. Also its a really big time commitment, 35 days with class every weekday.

A few questions

1. Can I rent a car with US license or do I need a TW license?
  2. My US international license expired. I got it from AAA in US. Is there a way to get a new one while I’m in Taiwan?
  3. Are there any other way to get a drive license in Taiwan fast if I already know how to drive?

Do the test, I did and it was a f…ng nightmare. I was using an international for years. For the local test there is compulsorary attendance to classes , online compulsorary video watching too.
However if you have to keep having to get that international license stamped here is a long term pain, bite that bullet and do that test. If not take your international drivers license and get it stamped if staying for longer than 30 days or something like that.
I did my heavy motorcycle license here and it was easier than the car test.

What stamp are you referring to?

I was using one of this. Is there another way?

I had a Brutish one it needs to be stamped at the Taiwan Department of Transportation if staying over 30 days (or there abouts).

Not sure about California, but Taiwan has reciprocity with many states. If you get it authenticated (AIT), and CA recognized as reciprocity, then you just go to DMV here with paperwork and get Taiwan license without test.

Depending on your state or province, you might have to give up your original licence.

What’s the arrangement for getting that?
I already have TW car and scooter licences

1 Like

First you need to have had your scooter license for at least one year. You do need to sign up for lessons but in reality do not need to go to them. I went to 4 to practice on their heavy bikes, around the track. I then took and passed the test on their heavy bikes. There was no road test, it was a few years back, so they may have decided to change that now. The test I took was mainly a test of balance and emergency breaking.

1 Like

May have some useful links and such:

Currently Taiwan does not have reciprocity with California driver’s licenses.

You can get your AAA issued IDP (International Driving Permit) from Taiwan. Follow the instructions at this site (I have a CA driver’s license and I do this every year, but it takes 6-8 weeks):

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Note that technically you need to register your IDP at Taiwan’s DMV at some point (so I’ve heard). My own experience is that rental companies (both car and blue truck!) have accepted my IDP even though I’ve never registered it at the DMV. I am a permanent resident with functional Chinese ability so I don’t know if that influenced anything or not.

Thanks @crusher
Do you - or anyone else here - have a recommendation of this kind of bike driving school, preferably north Taipei. Any good/bad comments?

1 Like

Yeah, but sorry they just went under due to reduced business during the pandemic. And I am.in south Taipei, New Taipei city. The test was easy for me , but the bikes were badly maintained so they stalled on some people’s tests. About 20 people take the test in one batch one after another. They will stand around watching you do yours. :joy:

1 Like