How to get an International Driving Permit/License here?

So I will be taking a trip to the US. My license is expired. I’m going to dallas and my expired one is from florida and I believe you need proof of residency to get a new one. So my only option is to get one here? All i can find is from AIT about having an international license and using it in Taiwan. Not how to obtain one to go to other countries.

If you have a local DL, just go to the Motor Vehicles Inspection centre in Bade lu with your license, go downstairs (or perhaps it’s the ground floor?), and get your IDL done in within an hour. You will need to pay some money of course.

1 Like

jesus80 is right, you need a local license to apply for an international license that can be used abroad.

However, I believe you can mail in to renew your US license though? Have you looked into that? It should vary state by state, but worth a try?

It’s on the second floor now, grab a ticket from the machine at the top of the stairs and take a seat.

You need to have a license to get an international license, which isn’t really a license anyway. In Taiwan, like most places, it’s just a certified translation of your current license into other languages.

Florida lets you renew by mail but not after a certain period of expiration. Better check the Florida laws.

AIT doesn’t provide any assistance related to US State driver license but they might be able to certify the information that you need to provide to Florida to renew by mail.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as an international driver’s license. There is the international driver’s permit, issued by AAA at their offices in the US or via mail, but you need a valid license to get it. If your US license has expired, you need to either renew that license in the US, or just get a Taiwanese driver’s license.

I know several Americans who have Taiwanese driver’s licenses. You can take the test in English. I know some who say the test is easy, but I know others who haven’t been able to pass it-- all are intelligent people who also possess common sense, so I’m not sure why some pass it and some don’t.

Anyone know how long it takes for the license to come? I’m leaving for the US on the 10th with Chinese New Year idk if that’s enough time

What kind of license? And from where? You’ve read the responses stating that you can’t get an international permit without a valid license, right?

I guess it’s a 2 part question. Taiwanese license and the international one after

Well, since your US license is expired you can’t look into reciprocity of Florida DL and a Taiwan DL.

In order to get obtain a Taiwanese license, you’ll need to take classes (or in the states, we like to call it, do your 24 hours behind the wheel), which normally has a wait list and also takes time.

It isn’t quite, show up at the DMV, take the written exam, road test and you’re well on your way.

Bump.

Have any of you guys successfully applied for a IDP with an almost expired US license?

My US license expires this October, but my IDP expired 20 days ago. I’m applying for a 1 year IDP, but I’m afraid AAA might deny the app because my US license isn’t valid for a full year of the IDP issue date.

I have applied with AAA for an IDP with less than one year remaining on my license. I had the IDP start date be 11 months before the expiration date of my US license.

Would also suggest that renew your US license online if your state allows it.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have to change the IDP start date.

Yes, I have to change it from an NJ to FL license before the NJ license expires. I heard that as long as my NJ license isn’t expired, the process is very simple, but it seems like I need to go in person with original docs. Florida DMV doesn’t say much about an online app.

Technically speaking, your driver’s license is supposed to be valid with the IDP,. But one place I rented a car didn’t even look at my real driver’s license. Though that might not be the case in every country.

Last time I had a run in with Taiwan cops, they looked at my IDP and just…gave up. I bet that they wouldn’t even notice that it is expired.

Question: for those of us with a valid, unexpired (Taiwanese) driver’s license, how do we get an international license in Taiwan (for use in, say, Spain)?

(I have valid licenses for Taiwan and the US, just so you know.)

Go to any traffic office with your TDL and one other form of picture ID and two passport size photos. Costs a few hundred NT and takes ten minutes. The IDL you’ll receive is the "Convention on International Road Traffic of 8 November 1968. Not all countries recognize this convention though. Japan, for instance. I never had any issues using it in the U.S. though. Not sure about Espana.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as an international driver’s license. There is the international driver’s permit, issued by AAA at their offices in the US or via mail, but you need a valid license to get it. If your US license has expired, you need to either renew that license in the US, or just get a Taiwanese driver’s license.

[quote=“Winston_Smith, post:17, topic:157836, full:true”] Not all countries recognize this convention though. Japan, for instance.
[/quote]

For Japan, they gave me a special “translation” or similar thing instead after telling me that the international thingy won’t work there. It’s an A4 paper which together with the Taiwan license was accepted at least for renting a car on Ishigaki island a few years ago…

1 Like

The International Driving Permit (some call a license) is merely a certified translation in multiple languages of your current license from whatever country that you hold a license.

It is not a license without an accompanying current license from somewhere.

If you have Taiwan license, go to license branch in Taiwan. A couple hundred NT and some pictures from the machine.

If you have license from home country, get at home, at AAA in USA.

Taiwan issues IDP to accompany the Taiwan driver license.

1 Like