How to get over culture shock?

[quote=“pubba”]I lived here in Taiwan during 2007 and didn’t know that I had culture shock until it was all over and I was headed home. Looking back, there was a period of time where I hated everything about Taiwan and saw the bad side in every situation.

A good indication is when you say ‘these f*cking people…!’ internally when confronting any situation or problem :laughing:

Anyhow, this time around I have been here for 6 rocky months. I just came back from a 3 week holiday at the end of July and was fired and had to find a new job ASAP.

Luckily I managed to find a job and get settled in a new apartment, but the old signs are there. I’m grumpy all the time, my fuse is about 2 millimeters long and I’m seeing the worst in every situation.

Last time I can’t remember how I shook off the culture shock blues. Hopefully it will pass soon because I’m a miserable bastard and it’s not a nice way to be.

So - to the experienced forumosii here - any advice or tips?[/quote]

you aren’t happy here. I’d look into moving elsewhere.

Why is everybody down on Miaoli? It’s a nice town, close to the mountains and plenty of other scenic areas. It’s got enough infrastructure to be a proper city while still maintaining a small town feel, has a nice, tight knit Hakka culture, and if you have a car is less than 90minutes to Taipei. You are also reasonably close to Taichung.

Pubba, you’ve swapped a few jobs and homes here now? How do you like Maioli compared to the other places you’ve lived, and how do you think the new environment is affecting your current mood?

Do you have transportation?

[quote=“MJB”]

Do you have transportation?[/quote]

Getting out and about is important (I never had any transportation, and it had an effect, I’m sure). However nice the place where you live is, just jumping on a train can make a huge difference.

[quote=“pubba”] I love the fact that I am lulled to sleep by flashing neon lights leaking through my cheap shitty curtains. It all feels so metropolitan!

[/quote]

I’ll hazard a guess you come from a rural background. Have you been able to get up into the hills much? Even for us city slickers a breath of fresh air now and then can do a world of good.

[quote=“MJB”]Why is everybody down on Miaoli? It’s a nice town, close to the mountains and plenty of other scenic areas. It’s got enough infrastructure to be a proper city while still maintaining a small town feel, has a nice, tight knit Hakka culture, and if you have a car is less than 90minutes to Taipei. You are also reasonably close to Taichung.

[/quote]

I agree although I’ve never lived in Taipei however I have lived in Taichung. The city proper is much nicer than Zhunan. I tried to get a job in Miaoli a few years back. Anywhere in Taiwan with a train station isn’t really that far from any major centre.

I really like Miaoli. It’s a great little city/town. There are bars here, 2 libraries, a university, Carrefour supermarket, train station, hell - even a really excellent subway style sandwich place. It’s funny how much a sandwich can turn your day around :slight_smile:

The local people are friendly, too. I’ve started learning some Hakka phrases to try out here and there and response is great.

Last week I dropped in to the local Uni and walked around. It was open day and I signed up for a bunch of leisure classes including ‘Street Magic’ and ‘Manga otaku’ which will be fun. They didn’t mind that I wasn’t a student at the Uni either.

Every Friday night there is a huge night market that begins just outside my front door. I’m still in the ‘night markets are great’ phase and this is a favorite part of my week.

Luckily I have a reliable scooter and the train station is minutes away, so it’s easy for me to get out and about. Today I went to Taichung, had lunch with a friend and went and checked out a (terrible) job at Sun japanese/english school.

I need to stop myself before starting threads and just walk away. I only tend to post when I’m at rock bottom and it makes me sound like a whiney little sad sack.

In reality I’m goofy, laid-back and pretty down to earth - just ask the lucky (?) folks that have met me.

I’m really having a hard time at my new job, which I didn’t go into much detail about in the OP. It’s a mixture of the usual BS that goes on at buxibans here, plus a personality conflict with my new boss.

Basically, I was promised 60k a month which has now been changed to 600 an hour (which is great) but I’m only getting about 19 hours a week. The boss farms me out to other schools and 1 on 1 sessions in private homes, often with little notice.

There is zero curriculum or lesson plan structure, the boss basically said ‘you can have total freedom - do what you want’ and pointed at a stack of sample books from a publisher. This is on the first day of the semester :laughing:

She had a deal with a landlord friend and had me move into a filthy apartment. The last tenant chain smoked and had birds and dogs. The place was overrun with huge roaches that used to wake me up at night by trying to eat my face. I moved out after 2 days and paid deposit on a new place that I found.

She admitted that the English part of her school is a pain in her ass. When I asked kids to hurry up and head to class (they were 10 minutes late), she rolled her eyes and said ‘It’s only ENGLISH class’.

I had to ask for an advance on my first pay because I’m broke after paying 10k for my apartment deposit. Asked for 2 days pay which I could stretch out till the 10th of October. After an hour of waiting on Friday night, she handed me 2,000 NT and said I can’t have any more because I would waste it and she doesn’t want to keep handing out money like she was my mother. :fume:

This was in front of a gaggle of her friends that meet at the school on Friday nights for ‘bible study’. Cue: laughter and me slinking out biting my tongue. Every cell in my body wanted to tell her to shove the job right there and then - but then where would I be?

So my apartment and the town are fantastic. I’m very happy with my living situation. I just need to find a new job ASAP.

pubba: Oh man, that’s rough. I personally think the worst part is her farming you out to other buxibans and privates. That brings tears to my eyes because it probably wouldn’t be too hard for you to do that yourself and pocket the difference that she’s currently getting. I bet she’s charging those privates a fair bit. If you look at all those sites where people post ads for tutors or their profiles as tutors, there are literally tons for Taipei, and to a lesser extent Taoyuan, Taizhong and Gaoxiong. Living in Miaoli, if you put such an ad up, you’d probably get a pretty good response precisely because comparatively few foreigners live in Miaoli, yet I’m sure there are still people there who want to learn English. Ditch this scam she’s running on you.

I find without a doubt, the single biggest thing that contributes to my culture shock here (and between a job that is increasingly doing my head in – I’m just riding out the last three months or so of my contract now – and planning a wedding, I’ve been in more of it this year than I’ve been in a state of non-culture shock) is a sense of lack of control. Feeling like you’re somebody’s bitch sucks. For me, I don’t have the added issue of money (well, I did right before my wedding) because I’m pretty good on that side, but being somebody’s bitch because you live from pay to pay would compound it. I know quite a few people who are very stressed from their jobs, so they blow big money every weekend to unwind. They end up working to pay for their weekends which they need to escape from their jobs. It’s a vicious cycle, and I think this can really be worse in Taipei because it’s even harder to save money there due to the higher cost of living. In many ways, it might not actually be a better thing for you to move to Taipei or Taizhong if that could potentially be a problem for you.

Anyway, at the end of this year, I’ll have close to a year’s living expenses as a buffer, meaning I can execute my plan of being a gun for hire (I won’t need an ARC because I am married and should have my ARC through my wife by then, though I have friends who either do visa runs or who just have a basic ARC job and then freelance the rest) and largely telling any fools to shove it. After this year, I’ll never sign another contract because when you put all your eggs in one basket, you do make yourself somebody’s bitch. It’s worth considering really paring down your cost of living (temporarily if it hurts too much) and getting the slackest ARC job you can that will cover your living costs. For a single guy living outside of a major city, 25,000NT/month shouldn’t even be painful – I’m sure you could do 20,000NT/month at a stretch. At 650NT/hour, 25,000NT/month is under ten hours per week (I know that’s technically not the minimum for an ARC, but it’s still possible to get an ARC this way – everything is a grey area here – and a couple of my friends have one on six hours per week). That shouldn’t be too hard. Then, you build everything else up on your terms. If you don’t appear desperate when looking for work, you lay down the law from the outset, and you’re willing to walk if they try to change the rules, you can make it work for you. Spreading an additional fifteen hours per week over five employers means they each only have 20% of the power over you that one would have over you if you had all of your fifteen hours with him/her, so if you do have to walk, it’s only a small hit to your income. This will make you a more ballsy bastard, and in the world of laoban/dog psychology, that makes all the difference because they’ll no longer smell fear. This is what some of my friends do and it works for them. In fact, if as a foreigner, you’re comparatively rare in Miaoli (as opposed to Taipei where, despite there being more buxibans, there are also a lot more foreigners as a ratio between the two), you can actually hold the power over the laoban.

People say money can’t buy happiness, but that’s not entirely true. It, or the need for it, is often the difference between feeling free/empowered and not feeling that way, which is a large part of happiness. One of my friends who freelances and lives frugally is enamoured with something Benjamin Franklin said about if you’re financially free, you’re free to stick to your principles (or at least not get fucked over). A frequent topic of complaint at this site is how we get fucked over by our employers, when in reality, we let them fuck us over. Sure, it’s not nice to get eaten by a wolf, but if we start from the position that they’re wolves, then we can’t blame them if they eat us. That’s central to who they are. Our job is to control them, not be eaten.

It sounds like you might be making some connections and finding your groove in Miaoli. Why not stay there a while? You might find some interesting people to hang around with, and possibly even a girlfriend. Also, as everyone has mentioned, hopping on a train, or getting out to the hills could really help. I try to get out of Taoyuan every weekend if I can. I usually go surfing two or three weekends a month. Otherwise (like this weekend), I’ll go hiking and/or to see cheap movies in Zhongyuan.

We are all pretty much bitches when we are working for somebody. Some of us are HO’s and we are just trying to better ourselves best way we can. Yes build up a reserve of cash, that will buy you some freedom and more options.

Great post - guy. Thanks :thumbsup:

I really do like Miaoli. I met some great Filipino people today and had a fantastic morning eating, talking and shooting the breeze. It was a real mood lifter and I’m very happy have some new friends to call up and share a meal with etc…

Re: money, I’m pretty frugal usually but then buy stupid shit on a whim (usually as retail therapy to cheer myself up). Stuff like xbox 360, LCD TV, new laptop. I’m pretty boring by most expats standards. I don’t drink, smoke or have drug blowouts on weekends. My main expense is my net account and food. I do like nice food, and this is another thing that I indulge in to cheer myself up :doh:

The problem with you idea re: getting a very basic contract and ARC and then adding to my income with privates, is that there just aren’t that many buxibans here in Miaoli. I’m going to go and drop in to Global Village tomorrow and see if they need anyone. The other buxibans that I know of already have teachers, and some of those teachers have been there long term (5+ years).

I’m very frustrated because up till July I had a very nice savings ‘buffer’ in place, which I had to use on legal fees and a trip home to Oz. Having to hire a solicitor was a real eye opener for me. You want HOW MUCH for doing THAT?? :fume:

Congrats on the marriage. It would be great to get a marriage visa and just work where you want to. I’m sure that my boss is charging much more than 600NT per hour for the privates that I’m doing. Hell, one of the students lives in a huge mansion. I’ve never seen such an amazing house in Taiwan… Huge chandeliers, 4 car garage etc.

I’m just going to put up and shut up, do the bare minimum and save as much as I can. In the meantime, I’m currently looking for a new job. I love Miaoli but will move if I have to. I’m paid up in my apartment until the 5th of October.

It seems your actual problem isn’t culture shock it’s Buxiban Laoban Shock.

I have a similar problem. Long term Buxiban shock.

“What the fuck you looking at kid? I’m not your bleedin’ teacher!”
I love everything about being here, except that. Once I have myself sorted in terms of residency, I’m making big changes. I’m counting the months. Soon I’ll be counting the weeks. Then the days. And, finally, the hours.

I also find it helps to have future goals and plans. Something to work towards. Just trudging to work and home day after day gets old anywhere.

Still, it could be worse. I could be a man whore in Mombasa. Or an Ozzie rugby player…

[quote=“bismarck”]

Still, it could be worse. I could be a man whore in Mombasa. Or an Ozzie rugby player…[/quote]Or an ESL teacher in Cambodia.

leinadmoolb.tripod.com/TokyoBoar … rails.html

[quote=“bismarck”]It seems your actual problem isn’t culture shock it’s Buxiban Laoban Shock.

I have a similar problem. Long term Buxiban shock.

“What the fuck you looking at kid? I’m not your bleedin’ teacher!”
I love everything about being here, except that. Once I have myself sorted in terms of residency, I’m making big changes. I’m counting the months. Soon I’ll be counting the weeks. Then the days. And, finally, the hours.

I also find it helps to have future goals and plans. Something to work towards. Just trudging to work and home day after day gets old anywhere.

Still, it could be worse. I could be a man whore in Mombasa. Or an Ozzie rugby player…[/quote]

Bismark: Yeah, but unfortunately, a bad job is a large part of many people’s Taiwan experience, both in terms of the time involved and the limited interactions with other non-cuntish Taiwanese as a result. I have a friend who has been here a couple of years and he literally knows no Chinese. It’s not because he’s lazy. It’s because he has 40 teaching hours (plus all the other crap they squeeze out of him at his major chain kindy/buxiban), including Saturdays. During his limited free time, he just wants to chill out a lot of the time. So, for him, probably 95% or more of the Taiwanese people he knows are at work. Amazingly, he still has the energy to get out and do stuff like the Sun Moon Lake swim, but by the time he leaves Taiwan, his interactions and experiences of Taiwan outside of work will have been largely superficial and almost all of the Taiwanese culture he will have encountered will have been Taiwanese buxiban working culture (which may not even be a true reflection of the broader working culture, I don’t know).

My job still shits me immensely, but it doesn’t take up an enormous amount of my time like it does with some people. As such, I have time to do other things and have other interactions. I have Taiwanese friends, I do language exchange, I’m a member of two sporting clubs where I’m the only non-local (or one of only two foreigners), and I’m also married to a local. My Taiwanese experience isn’t solely focussed on work (thankfully). If I could sort out the work thing, I wouldn’t have culture shock probably. If my base stress levels were super low, then even the insane traffic might not worry me.