How to get Permanent Residence as a NWOHR passport holder?

My situation is I´m NWOHR. Hold a passport without ID. Neither of my relatives have Household registration or TW ID. We all were born outside Taiwan.

Anyway, how can I apply for full residence. I read people can ask a friend to be added to his HHR.

Adding a friend to your household registration only tells the government that your friend is living with you. It has no effect on your friend’s citizenship status.

Besides, you can’t add foreigners or NWOHR passport holders to your household registration. They are not part of the system to begin with.

All NWOHR passport holders don’t have ID, so that’s redundant. But it’s important that you make it clear that you don’t have a TARC.

NWOHR passport holders without TARC are essentially tourists in the eyes of the Taiwanese government.

1 Like

It seems to me that you can’t apply for residence through your family. The only other option is to find a job in Taiwan and have your employer sponsor a TARC and work permit for you.

I thought that as well

How difficult is it to issue a TARC for a NWOHR (National without household registration)?

I doubt anyone here ever had to issue a TARC. So if you wonder about difficulties issuing a TARC, you might want to get in touch with the government body issuing it.

1 Like

I heard is pretty simple to get an ID as national no matter if you are a NWOHR. I don´t know if it´s true.

If I enroll in mandarin classes, can I apply through study?

Yes you can get a student “visa” I believe. I put “visa” in quotes because it’s not actually a visa. A visa is for foreigners. I don’t know what it’s called.

Enrolling in mandarin classes can secure my stay in TW, correct?

Yeah I believe so. Although I’m not sure if it needs to be from an accredited university. The foreign students on Forumosa might know.

1 Like

You need to call NIA (National Immigration Agency) and ask this exact question:

If a NWHOR (without a TARC) studies Mandarin at a Taiwan University for 1 year, will the Immigration Agency give that person a TARC?

If the answer is yes, then maybe all you need to do is get the TARC, and stay in Taiwan for a full year, then you can get your household registration and Taiwan ID card.

Something tells me that’s not how it works.

1 Like

I have my doubts too. OP needs to call NIA and just ask

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the one-year rule to get an ID only applies to TARC holders who actually have parents or siblings with IDs. For all other types of TARC holders (student, employment, etc.) I believe it takes the same number of years as it takes for a foreigner to get their permanent residency.

Don’t PRC citizens who move to Taiwan get TARCs too? I believe it takes 6 years for them.

Yup. How long does it take ARC holders to get APRC?

5 years.

1 Like

Simply enrolling in mandarin classes certainly won’t be enough to get a TARC and ID. Check again the website of the NIA article 2 (see link below), it lists who is applicable to get permanent residency as NWOHR.

1 Like