How to get Permanent Residence as a NWOHR passport holder?

Don’t PRC citizens who move to Taiwan get TARCs too? I believe it takes 6 years for them.

Yup. How long does it take ARC holders to get APRC?

5 years.

1 Like

Simply enrolling in mandarin classes certainly won’t be enough to get a TARC and ID. Check again the website of the NIA article 2 (see link below), it lists who is applicable to get permanent residency as NWOHR.

1 Like

Ok I read through the website that the previous post provided, and here is the part that is relevant to you:

  1. Having entered the State with an R.O.C. (Taiwan) passport, has legally and continuously resided in the Taiwan Area for at least seven years, staying for at least 183 days each year.

This is the requirement to get an ID if you don’t have any relatives with IDs. (There are other ways that probably aren’t relevant to you.)

So the first step is to find a university that will sponsor you, once you are enrolled they will help you apply for the relevant residency documents. Then you just need to live in Taiwan for 7 years to get your ID.

Obviously you’re not going to be in school for 7 years, so once you graduate you might need to get your employer to sponsor you.

Seven years… seems like a long time.

You might as well just get a job right away rather than go to school. Or just become a permanent resident as a foreigner. It only takes them 5 years.

1 Like

Very bizarre that it takes NWHOR longer to get HRR than foreigners.

Extremely. Is this one of those rare instances where foreigners are actually treated better than locals? :open_mouth:

I went to Inmigration Agency and they told me chinese courses are not an option to apply residence card, only studying a career in an University for 4 years. But that´s a huge investment knowing how expensive is TW education.


It’s actually quite reasonably priced considering the GDP per capita. On your second year studying you could start working and pay for it easy.

1 Like

I suppose you could arrive as a student, and just take one semester of Chinese classes (or whatever you are interested in) at a university while looking for a job. And then once you get hired, you can just quit school, and ask your company to help switch your student “visa” status to work status.

But why not just skip school and find a job in the first place? You have 90 days to do that after you arrive. If it takes longer than that, just go to Hong Kong for a day and come back, and then you’ll have another 90 days to look for a job.

If your goal is not to work for a company in Taiwan, you can just quit that job as soon as you get your TARC. It will still be valid until the expiration date (I’m pretty sure).

Except he’s allowed to keep his old citizenship at the end if he comes in as a national.

I never recommend coming in as a foreigner.

And if they find he has nationality, he could be stripped of his PR.


Wait, explain why Hong Kong?

I just meant leave the country for a day. Hong Kong is close, but I suppose you could go to Manila, but what’s in Manila?

But you know my Tw passport has a entry permit, right? My entry permit expires on 2025. I dont know how mnay times can I enter Tw with this entry permit.

Unless it explicitly states “single entry” on your permit, it should be multi-entry as many times as you want until 2025.

I have to explain to you this TW passport works the same as TW visa. It doesn´t allow to travel other countries free-visa.

How much can cost a flight to Hon Kong? A couple of U$100?

Yeah I know. I have the same passport. It actually allows travel to a few counties visa-free. Maybe like 30 countries in the world. I only got my ID last month so I haven’t gotten a proper passport yet.

But you wouldn’t enter Hong Kong (or the Philippines or Japan or whatever you choose) on that passport. You would enter on your other passport from your home country.

Yeah that seems about right. Hong Kong is usually the cheapest international destination if you fly out of Taipei.

Maybe South korea free visa. But I heard life is expensive there