How to get rid of a wasp nest?

I said to a friend the other day, “I’ve never been stung by a wasp”. Still haven’t and I’d like that to remain the case, but wasps have decided to build a next just above where my head would be if I stepped out the glass doors onto the balcony. I live here for the balcony and I don’t want to share it with stroppy guests. What to do?

I see what they say on other sites, but anyone have any experience, suggestions?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I said to a friend the other day, “I’ve never been stung by a wasp”. Still haven’t and I’d like that to remain the case, but wasps have decided to build a next just above where my head would be if I stepped out the glass doors onto the balcony. I live here for the balcony and I don’t want to share it with stroppy guests. What to do?

I see what they say on other sites, but anyone have any experience, suggestions?

HG[/quote]

Take out the Queen.

Hairspray and a lighter and roast the little bastards. Keep roastin them untill you have a small fireball hangin from the frame.

Wait until it’s dark when they are all home.

Cover yourself and face with thick clothing. You can cover your face by draping a piece of mosquito netting over a wide brimmed hat. Put plastic bands round any openings in clothes (sleeves, trouser legs). You’ll look pretty strange - great photo opportunity.

Spray with a proper wasp killer (not sure where you will buy this here, but I’m sure you can). Read directions on container.

In morning, repeat process.

In evening, get a scraper and chip away at base of nest until it falls directly (in one piece) into something like a big plastic bag. Secure bag well and throw out. When chipping away at nest, if there is any remaining sign of life, spray again and wait a few more hours.

Done it a few times back home. No probs.

Crikey, and so to battle.

Thanks.

HG

I agree. Raid, Raid, and more Raid. Fire will just leave you homeless.

Take a baseball bat and hit a homerun on the nest … be sure to hit it properly tho … than run as hell :smiling_imp:

All you need is to knock it off from distance. A sling shot, or a long stick will do. You also need an escape route and running shoes. Just in case. :wink:

Keep your distance. Best is the stick method. Aim well, knock the small nest off with a quick one time hit, drop the stick and take two steps back. Should be no problem. The stick should be at least 10 feet long. Then wait a couple hours and they’ll all be gone.

If the nest is bigger than say a tennis ball, I would not do the stick method. What I would do is before you do the stick method, get up there with a cloth soaked with lighter fluid. Use gloves… cover yourself… This method is just as risky as spraying but the result is faster. Probe the cloths thighlty to block the hole and light it up. Let it burn 20 seconds or so, then knock it off with a stick. I’ve seen it done quite a bit like that. The queen suffocates and problem solved.

Belgium Pie method works well. Best is to have a lake or a swimming pool right near. :laughing:

Back where I grew up, we have the ground wasps. They make their nests in the ground like ants. We once started a fire on one of them nests while doing some clearing for a golf course. By 4:30 pm, about 500 meters square around our fire, all you could see was the biggest cloud of wasps I had ever seen. From the ground up to about 8 feet high, all you could see was black. The old man I worked with fed the fire and he had it burning for 2 days. He would light up the coal the next day and burn all day. I’m talking a 10 feet wide type fire, not a campfire.

The following week, we spotted wasps crawling into a hole right in the middle of the ashes. :astonished:

Spraying is not necessary. Plus, though they’re less active at night they can still sting the dickens out o’ you, especially if they’re pissed off!

• Get a container big enough to accomodate the diameter of the nest and deep enough, plus some, for the height.
  • Put enough kerosene, gasoline, turpentine, paint thinner or any caustic substance in the container to completely cover the nest.
  • Wait until dark and quietly and carefully push the container up until it covers the nest.
  • Hold it there for a few minutes.
  • Slowly slide the container to break the connection point of the nest.
  • If the nest is out of reach, fasten the container to a long pole.

That’s it! I’ve done this successfully many times.
Good Luck!

MURDERERS!!!

Isn’t there a diplomatic way to solve this??

The thing started last night. Unfortunately it’s just 12 inches from the glass sliding door, which is the only way to the balcony. That doesn’t leave much room if it all goes badly.

Just looking at it now, it seems the wasps are having a smoko. None there and the nest is only half built. Is this a good pre-emptive opportunity?

If not, I’m going in with chemical weapons and zippo fuel later tonight.

Strangely, I’ve never had any dealings with wasps before.

HG

How big are your feet?

Remove shoe…you get the pitcha…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The thing started last night. Unfortunately it’s just 12 inches from the glass sliding door, which is the only way to the balcony. That doesn’t leave much room if it all goes badly.
[/quote]Think positive. :laughing: If it’s that close to the door, couldn’t you do the long stick method and shut the door immediately after you knock the nest off? Sounds like you could almost close the door on to the stick or just stick your arm out the door to handle your weapon, and you’d be well protected.

smoke makes them friendly,so,a good few puffs from a good quality reefer (i’m not aledging anything here…)will make them your buddies,you can teach them a few tricks after that,like,sending them to sting the shit out of an unfriendly neighbour

OK now we have a stone wasp whisperer. :laughing:

Well, I tried the shoe but they’ve come back and look pissed off. There now appears to be a bunch of Apache tank-killer helicopters flying cover while the sappers construct their base.

Offer them a puff you say?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, I tried the shoe but they’ve come back and look pissed off. There now appears to be a bunch of Apache tank-killer helicopters flying cover while the sappers construct their base.

HG[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :bravo:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, I tried the shoe but they’ve come back and look pissed off. There now appears to be a bunch of Apache tank-killer helicopters flying cover while the sappers construct their base.

HG[/quote]

Excuse my dumb question: are they HK wasps?

I’ve not seen their passports, but I am in HK . . . why? It’s bad, innit?

HG

Back home, out in the sticks, they used to use petrol. Inject petrol into the nest and It’s that simple. You don’t have to light it either.