How to get rid of a wasp nest?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I’ve not seen their passports, but I am in HK . . . why? It’s bad, innit?

HG[/quote]

Oh man, you don’t know how bad … they probably immigrated from china … blast!
Try to get hold of Mao’s red book, and swat it with that … :wink:

I’ve only had one close encounter with wasps in my life and damn do they hurt…
Anyhow, we had a neighbour who brought around some kind of foam spray, which you spray on the nest opening and they all die. The it’s just a matter of getting rid of the nest the next day.

I tried readings from the little Red Book, but they didn’t seem to give a toss, youngsters of today, eh? What can the world hope for?

I got wickedly plastered trying to win them over the hippie way, but that just made them lazy and me more paranoid.

Finally I resorted to the techniques of the Somme. I dropped some leaflets warning the non-nasty wasps to stay clear and when their numbers dropped, let them have it. One fatality but the nest is soaked in spray and the others won’t have a bar of it.

Victory, for now.

HG

You’re so vicious. :wink:

Careful now.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I’ve only had one close encounter with wasps in my life and damn do they hurt…
[/quote]Only one? You’re lucky. I got 17 at once. I also got stung by a bumble bee the one time. Bumble bees hurt even more. I got stung coutless other time too by bees and wasps. It’s not pleasant. Usually, you don’t see then coming either. It’s like “OUCH!” and then “OUCH!” and then “RUN!” :smiley:

Well, call me lucky :-p
But I got stung in the ass though… couldn’t sit for the rest of the day…
And yes bumble bees hurt badly, got stung on my thumb of all places once…

I’ve seen Northwood’s method used successfully.

Wasps are good eatin!
Smoke them out, stun ‘em, then pop em in the deep fryer.
Lil’ bit o’ salt-n-peppa.
Nice-n-crunchy.
Chock full o’protein too!

Best way to drive out wasps is to spraypaint their tennis courts and crank some Public Enemy on your boombox. They’ll be hightailing it back to Connecticut faster than you can say “Buffy, darling, you look marvelous.”

I hope all worked out for you … and I lied … never take a baseball bat :smiley: … I got rid of several nests when I lived in the mountains of Sanxia … did the night trick withe the Raid spray can … spray and run as hell, go back a while later (a day or so) and do it again … I had also one just outside the bedroom window and at night openen it a little and sprayed half a can, next day one more time and than just sit and wait … :wink: :slight_smile:

When I was a young boy I used to go and collect wasp nests to sell to the local fishing gear store to be used as bait … made some nice money off it … but you can not make mistakes as some of my friends did because than your all over covered in wasps :laughing: I was the master … some wasps make a nest under the ground so you have to dig them out but I had a little trick under the sleave … brown sugar mixed with insecticide (DDT), put some on their front door, wait a night and next day every last bitch is dead and their offspring is still as healthy as … to be used as fish bait … :discodance:

Well, I realise now it was all an irrational fear. I thought wasps had some special “I’m forever pissed off” thing happening, wherereby you bulldoze their houses and the survivors hang around waiting for whoever comes along to pay them back.

I hit the suckers with Raid, one was caught in the crossfire and went down surprisingly fast and his mates fled. I soaked the nest in Raid and watched as the others returned to realise it was no longer a viable project. They’ve all gone.

Thanks all.

HG

If you’re in Taiwan, you can just call 119 or your local fire department for help. It’s their job, too.

By the way, make sure they are not like these nortorious “Tiger Head Wasps” 虎頭蜂 in Taiwan.

“Tiger Head Wasps” 虎頭蜂 in Taiwan are lethal.

I got a wasp nest neutralized earlier today by using a vacuum cleaner.

Sitting there with a beer and keeping the nozzle next to the nest.

All the wasps got that there was something untoward going on and flew right out of the nest - right into the vacuum cleaner nozzle. I sat there, they never got the connection between me and the cleaner, so not a single sting to me.

Those were Danish wasps though. Not lethal, been stung a few times.

[quote=“Mr He”]I got a wasp nest neutralized earlier today by using a vacuum cleaner.

Sitting there with a beer and keeping the nozzle next to the nest.

All the wasps got that there was something untoward going on and flew right out of the nest - right into the vacuum cleaner nozzle. I sat there, they never got the connection between me and the cleaner, so not a single sting to me.

Those were Danish wasps though. Not lethal, been stung a few times.[/quote]

Ha! … Danish wasps … they are a joke … childsplay … just point at them and they are running … Taiwan has the serious stuff :laughing:

would guess that their aggressiveness is on par with the local ones.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Wasps are good eatin!
Smoke them out, stun ‘em, then pop em in the deep fryer.
Lil’ bit o’ salt-n-peppa.
Nice-n-crunchy.
Chock full o’protein too![/quote]

I’m not going camping with you again now I know what’s in your Crunchy Breakfast Special.

About a month ago I noticed a wasp nest the size of a golf ball on our rooftop. I looked for wasp spray at a number of stores in the following weeks and couldn’t find it. Meanwhile the nest grew till it looked something like this.

Finally, this was on my checklist of things to do before I leave on vacation, so yesterday I bought the most expensive Raid spray that says it kills lots of different insects (but doesn’t mention wasps). Last night, when the wasps were all in the nest, I dressed head to toe, mask, swim goggles, scarf, gloves, jacket, pants, etc., went out to inspect the nest, and cleared a path to the door inside.

The nest was covered with a solid mass of wasps. I blasted them heartily with the Raid and was extremely pleased that some fell to the ground dead, instantly, and the whole nest quickly became a wet mass of poison. I put the can down, raised a plastic bag over the nest and broke it off into the bag, tied the top and put that in a second plastic bag, and hurried back inside. Huge success. Not a single stray wasp flew out and attacked me. I’m fairly certain they’re all 100% dead and gone, though I’ll check again today.

I felt badly about doing that, because wasps are purportedly much less hostile than hornets and yellow jackets, and won’t bother you unless you mess with their nest, and some gardeners apparently like them since they eat insects. But, like most people, I was a little nervous having that mass of stinging beasts so close to our family. Anyway, it’s apparently no longer an issue. :slight_smile: