How to get rid of AVG Safe seach

I am using Chrome in my laptop. I was very happy, had a lot of add ons and these little boxes you click and send you where you wanna go, your most used websites. Well, I did some upgrade on the AVG anti virus and it asked me if I wanted Safe seach. Sure, I thought, what could go wrong? Everything. Now my Mafalda wallpaper is gone, the useful Chrome adds are gone, the little squares are gone and when I open the Internet, all I have is Google/AVG safe search as main page.

How do I get rid of it?! :fume:

You know there are other websites out there, good one is google https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&tok=cvdEmoQU2kQbEIxY-moaYw&cp=12&gs_id=15&xhr=t&q=disable+avg+secure+search&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=disable+avg+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.dGI&fp=69c52a4379233e06&ion=1&biw=1245&bih=683 :slight_smile:

Yes, but you guys explain it at a level even Icon can understand! I tried Google, got %$#@&*! tiabo, better head back here!

You need to get rid of AVG.

These days, the only anti-virus you need for windows is provided by Microsoft. It’s a free dl called Microsoft Security Essentials. You should download that. Then unplug/disconnect from the internet and uninstal AVG. Install Security Essentials and get back on with your life.

Your Chrome settings (e.g. homepage and wallpaper) may need to be manually reset, or you might want to do a fresh install. Targeted ads, etc, will come back with time.

You could try using Windows System Restore, restoring things to the latest date before when you made the change. That should do it I think.

Muchas gracias. I will try that and let you guys know how it went. Will backup content first in case of… well, Icon.

I use AVG Free, which I love. But I avoid its extra “services” like the plague.

that’s what I mean? Why would you do that just for getting rid of a virus scan? Better follow the official AVG forum instructions which you find as the first result in the google page. You follow Tempo Gain’s tip and you might fuck up your entire system…

I don’t think so. I’ve done it plenty of times without issues. It will simply restore things to that earlier state, in which things were not fucked up.

System Restore has saved my butt a few times.

I didn’t think of using System Restore, probably because I’ve never used it myself. That’d probably do it as was said above. I’d be tempted to get rid of AVG nonetheless. It’s just going to slow your system. It’s high maintenance compared to the Microsoft one, too.

Mmm, let’s try the removal first. Now if I can just find the AVG toolbar they say I have to disable before getting rid of the search…

Habemus Chrome. Muchas gracias, many thankyous again.

messed the Internet Explores a bit, but Chrome seems back to normal and it was not a trek. Weird when I did the Search it also recommended a full wipe out, but that AVG forum is now in my favorites list… in case of emergency. Thank you Milkalex.

[quote=“Icon”]Habemus Chrome. Muchas gracias, many thankyous again.

messed the Internet Explores a bit, but Chrome seems back to normal and it was not a trek. Weird when I did the Search it also recommended a full wipe out, but that AVG forum is now in my favorites list… in case of emergency. Thank you Milkalex.[/quote]

Icon, have you figured it out yet?
If not, I’d say that the easiest way would be to reinstall the anti-virus program.

I"m not at a Windows system at the moment, so I can’t guide you through the other settings.

You can simply d/l the install file, uninstall the curent version, and then re-install it.

Be sure to make note of your registration info like purchased serial numbers and such.
You’ll need them to activate the software after re-installation.

I would also disagree about AVG’s effectiveness. Windows Security Essentials doesn’t off heuristic scanning. Or anything else, for that matter…
Good luck to you if best of luck to you if Windows Security Essentials all you use though.

Just remember to remove the checkmarks from the AVG Gadget and Safe Search fields during the re-install process or you’ll be right back to where you started from.
Hope this helps and if it doesn’t feel free to give me a call when you’re at your computer.

I may be able to guide you through it. (Assuming I’m not working or my lads aren’t using my belly as a trampoline at the time. :doh:

Hi, Nam, long time no see. Which is your fault, no problems with the computer. Problems are in front of the keyboard… yep, just unchecked a couple of things, reboot, and I am good. My mistake was actually trying to follow the instructions for IE when I am working on Chrome…

OK :laughing:

Glad all’s well!

You’ve got my number in case you nee :smiley: d me.

I am sorry to inform that the thing woke up like a zombie from hell and I can’t erase it at all… because it has no files on my computer. Don’t know where it is getting its power from, but it is not on any menu I pull, all the instructions to erase it cannot be followed because technically speaking it is not there! Yet, every time I open my computer’s browsers, there it is, instead of the user friendly Chrome.

Rats and double rats. Naaaaaaammmm!!! Heeeeelllllpppp! :cry:

Go to chrome preferences and look for the add-ons. Try to look for the one that refuses to die and disable it if it’s present. I had a similar problem when I used chrome with Windows and this was the cause.

Now I’m using Linux and I don’t have to worry about many of these things…

AVG is malware

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]Go to chrome preferences and look for the add-ons. Try to look for the one that refuses to die and disable it if it’s present. I had a similar problem when I used chrome with Windows and this was the cause.

Now I’m using Linux and I don’t have to worry about many of these things…[/quote]

That is teh issue. Last time, I deleted it and eliminated it from the list. Lo and behold, a few weeks -WEEKS!- later, it crops up on its own. I look for it even in the Dustbin. Nope, it is not in Chrome nor IE nor anything else. It is simply not there! :astonished: