How to Get Started Working Online

If you are tired of the daily grind in Taiwan, you can get started working online. I lived in Taipei for four years. Here is a link to my article “How to Get Started Working Online” voices.yahoo.com/how-started-wor … tml?cat=31.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Does anyone work online?

What do you do?

I’ve hired online workers.

I think jimi works online.

Whenever I call him, he says he’s too busy to talk.

When I ask what he’s doing, he says, “Somethin’ online.”

Do you work online or are you just getting information yourself?

Working online’s one thing but how do you make a living?

How much does Yahoo pay you for writing the sort of bland informationless spam article at your link, a penny per click?

[quote=“zender”]I think jimi works online.

Whenever I call him, he says he’s too busy to talk.

When I ask what he’s doing, he says, “Somethin’ online.”[/quote]

Yea baby, getting the rust off the old, bent “pipe”.

I am surprised he even answers the bone…er phone!!

[quote=“steelersman”]Does anyone work online?

What do you do?[/quote]
Yes, I have a website that teaches Chinese online. It’s a self directed audio course, with lessons that can be downloaded and listened to on the go. Subscribers can test their understanding through online quizzes and other activities.

I also have several mobile apps that I’ve developed that are selling for iPhone users.

I work from home.

[quote=“Adam_CLO”][quote=“steelersman”]Does anyone work online?

What do you do?[/quote]
Yes, I have a website that teaches Chinese online. It’s a self directed audio course, with lessons that can be downloaded and listened to on the go. Subscribers can test their understanding through online quizzes and other activities.

I also have several mobile apps that I’ve developed that are selling for iPhone users.

I work from home.[/quote]

Adam, that is really interesting. Do you have another job or is that your full-time job?

I have worked on oDesk since July 2011.

[quote=“steelersman”]
Adam, that is really interesting. Do you have another job or is that your full-time job?[/quote]
Just this.

Haha! I was using Adam’s Chinese online course before I came to Taiwan or even knew anything about Taiwan ;p.
And here he is on this forum. The world is small : ).

I have worked on oDesk since July 2011.[/quote]

I’m researching on-line career recently, as I can’t take the Taiwanese work environment anymore (I love to live here, but not so work here). I’ve recently found oDesk, registered, but had no time to go deeper into their quizzes and all… so you just sit there and companies find you? :ponder: Can’t be that easy…

In Taiwan, how do you receive the money you earned working online?
I’ve got some Ad/App money in my Google account, but I’m not sure how to transfer it to my Taiwan bank account.
Do I need any specific precautions, or will the bank might withhold or rebound the money?

This thread might help out a little bit.

As far as banking goes: I opened a US-dollar international bank account to go with my “normal” bank-account, both with MegaBank.
Every time I transfer money from oDesk it will come in through my US account first, then use Megabank’s internet-banking to transfer it to TWD into my normal-account.
I lose 30 dollars this way because oDesk charges that amount for each wire transaction, but I think losing it once a month weighs up to the money I lose by using paypal and the like due to their currency-exchange rates.
I suggest you inquire with a bank that has good English service or bring a Chinese speaker if you are not yet fluent yourself.
Megabank’s internet-banking is not near as sophisticated as the banks in my country, but it gets the job done and their website is also in English.

Working on-line has been easier than I had expected. Just find a niche, do some tests to prove your skill in the beginning (although those become less relevant the more feedback you get from completed jobs) and start applying for simple jobs, asking relatively low wages.
As long as you have a niche to prevent you from having to compete with Indians and Philippino’s you’ll be fine after a while and can start making a decent salary.
It took me a few months to earn enough to be able to provide for myself and now found a stable job for 40 hours a week. Although I consider myself lucky to have found this, it goes to show opportunities are out there and even without one steady job, you could have multiple interesting project running simultaneously to comprise a relatively steady income while gaining experience and a good name for yourself while looking for the next job.
The fact that in Taiwan there is no income tax if you earn under a million a year makes it a great option for those who like to boast about going to work in your PJ’s :discodance:

Good luck!

Since when?

It might not be zero, but it’s pretty close to it. Income tax on 1m would be maybe 40K for a single person after standard deductions, which is a hell of a lot less than you’d pay elsewhere.

How much does Yahoo pay you for writing the sort of bland informationless spam article at your link, a penny per click?[/quote]

Is usually 30 cents per thousand views.

Is anybody into mining cryptocurrencies?