How to get surgical masks (no ARC, on visa-waiver)

Is there a way for someone without ARC (on tourist/visa-waiver) to get surgical masks? (sorry if this has already been discussed) :mask:

I got two boxes in the mail from HK about a month ago. Crazy price, but at least I can have one when going shopping and more importantly my GF who are required by her company to use one at work can have a new mask every day.

I alos think they’re available in Japan if you have friends there. I wouldn’t buy mask online only via friends. Think there’s also some expensive mask in the pharmacy’s here like 100NTD for 3.

1 Like

I think OP means in-country via pharmacies. I think you just need to produce your passport. Anyone?

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I mean. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, you can just show your passport. That’s how I’ve been getting mine as I also have a visitor visa. Just a warning, not all pharmacies know how to enter it in their system though… so you might get refused at a few. That’s been my experience so far.

3 Likes

I see people lining up for masks sometimes. Are those the lines I should go to? Or just start going to pharmacies and start asking? thanks

If there is no line, the place most probably sold out masks, or it is not yet the starting time.

Some places distribute tickets before they actually sell masks.

I’ve been told by the pharmacy I can’t buy mask without health card… Is that wrong information?

Here is a website to check which pharmacies in your area are selling masks. If it’s red, it means it’s sold out. Some pharmacies only sell during a certain time of the day. But ya, usually if there’s a line up, then it means they are selling masks.
https://kiang.github.io/pharmacies/

2 Likes

I was told the same thing by some pharmacies but it’s not true. They can enter your passport info into their system, but many are not used to it because it’s not a common thing. I’ve gone to different pharmacies to buy masks and I’d say about half of them have no clue how to enter my passport info into the system and ask for help from their supervisors.

3 Likes

Story of my life in Taiwan. Nobody has any idea how to run their own system.

2 Likes