How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Just took the plunge myself and started the process last Thursday to get my Candidature certificate…I’m going via the APRC route (自願歸化) so I didn’t need the Police Clearance Certificate from home country ([color=#FF0000]Edit: The Police Clearance Certificate from your Home Country is required so make sure you get it before renouncing…I found it the hard way [/color]) or financial records ([color=#FF0000]This is definitely not required for APRC holders[/color])…Documents I provided were:

1. Certificate of Residence in ROC (居留證明書) - 2 days to process
  2. Proof of Chinese Language ability. I used my Shida’s record of study - Paid NT$50 at the vending machine in Shida and got it immediately.
  3. APRC
  4. Passport
  5. NT$200 Postal Order to be made out in the Ministry of the Interior’s name (內政部)

Submitted everything on Tuesday at my local HHR. While typing out the application for the Candidature certificate (準歸化證明書), my processing officer asked if I needed the Certificate in both English and Chinese, to which of course, I replied “Yes”, seeing as this will save me the trouble of translating and notarizing it myself. He then said I will receive a notification letter from the MOI in a few days time acknowledging receipt of my application and he will call me in a month’s time to pick up my certificate. So for now, I wait …