How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

My journey towards Citizenship is finally over!!! :laughing: With the “定居證” in hand, I went to the HHR at 9:30AM in the morning…took a number and waited for my number to be called…handed everything to the lady (定居證+台灣地區入出境許可證(Exit & Entry Permit)+Original Household Registration(戶口名簿)+Photograph)…she took about 20 minutes to verify everything (Address, Parent’s name, my name etc) …made me sign at a lot of places and then gave me a docket number to go pick up my ID Card from a different counter. I also applied for 2 copies of the “戶籍謄本” which will be needed later when I go update my License & Registration at the DMV.

Total Cost: Taiwan ID–> NT$50, New Household Registration Booklet(戶口名簿)–> NT$30, 2 Copies of 戶籍謄本@NT$15/Each–> NT$30 = NT$110.
After a wait of 10 mins, I finally received my shiny new Taiwan ID!!!.. :discodance:

So, in retrospect, it ain’t that hard to apply for Taiwan Citizenship once you have everything in order…if you’re willing to give up your Original Citizenship and decide to make Taiwan your home, I’d say go for it!

Start of Journey: Jan 14th 2015
End of Journey: June 27th 2016
Total Amount Spent: $100(居留證明書)+$50(Shida’s record of Study)+$200(Postal Order for Candidature Cert.)+$4880(Renunciation Fee)+$400(Authentication Fee)+$750(Notarization Fee)+$1000(Postal Order for Naturalization Cert.)+$1000(TARC Fee)+$1470(Health Check Fee)+$600(定居證)+$50(ID Fee)+$30(New Household Registration Booklet) = $10980 (Not inclusive of all other miscellaneous expenses)

I hope my posts will help other Forumosans in the near future who wishes to apply for Taiwan ID. Cheers and good luck!

1 Like