How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

[quote=“Icon”]Question for those of you who had to leave the country to renounce to your nationality: how do you get back into Taiwan?

My travel agent just freaked out, because since I gotta go to Beijing, the way back means getting out of PRC, into HK and then out of HK …

From what I found in the thread, most of you just had one hop: like HK to Taiwan. Any ideas? Suggestions?[/quote]

I was stranded in Hong Kong, where I renounced, for about half a year while they figured out what to do with me. Then again, this was like 15 years ago, so I imagine things have changed a bit since.

In most cases you stay in Taiwan and renounce your citizenship here.

Cooling tower ( ex USA ) Gov Attache ( ex UK ) and myself ( Ex Aus ) were all able to do so.

Poagao’s situation was also unusual and a lot way back when too.

SO you need to ask your country of citizenship about the renunciation procedure.

It does take time to do so do plan on running around the word for awhile. :rainbow:

Icon,

After reading Poagao’s post, I finally understand what you meant. Yes, you can renounce IN Taiwan. Poagao’s situation was special because the government was thinking “Uh, what should we do now?”

I have heard that Poagao has written a book about this and and his military experience. I’m trying to find it now. If you want to search, I think Poagao’s real name is 林道明, but I’m not sure.

Poagao, what is the name or ISBN number?

Ray (coolingtower)

[quote=“coolingtower”]Icon,

After reading Poagao’s post, I finally understand what you meant. Yes, you can renounce IN Taiwan. Poagao’s situation was special because the government was thinking “Uh, what should we do now?”

I have heard that Poagao has written a book about this and and his military experience. I’m trying to find it now. If you want to search, I think Poagao’s real name is 林道明, but I’m not sure.

Poagao, what is the name or ISBN number?

Ray (coolingtower)[/quote]

臺灣饅頭美國兵 2003 Publisher/ISBN : Locus Publishing/9867975863 However, there’s not much about the actual immigration in the book.

The situation was different back then because AIT wasn’t allowed to do renunciations. This situation has, obviously, changed in recent years for Americans, but it could be different for other nationalities.

Thank you, Poagao,

I will try to buy it tomorrow at Caves.

Plus a big welcome to rct288 for joining Forumosa and being interested in this thread.

Ray (Coolingtower)

BTW, this thread seems to have been edited. TainanCowboy’s post and even the quote in my post were removed, and were not placed in the temp forum that I can see.

EDIT: It was all flamed, apparently. Carry on.

Thank you for your replies, Satellite and CT. I wish I could renounce here, but there is no official representative in Taiwan, none at all. Not even another country’s embassy appointed to handle business. Nada.

Paogao’s situation was “special” as he was the pioneer. However, his was the only case I found here about leaving the country. I had not paid attention to the six months in limbo abroad, though… I mean, if you are in Taiwan it is hard to live without ID, but abroad?!

I think I had read something about an European guy who had to leave, too, I’ll do some search. Anyone recalls that?

Oh, well, I still have time. When there is a will, there is a way.

Good for you, Icon,
The purpose of this thread is to help out people like you who are interested in becoming a citizen. If I don’t help you first, it seems that Satellite TV or Bu Lai En, or maybe even Poagao can help you out.

Poagao, a previous poster made a nasty and unnecessary comment and I squealed and it was deleted. I wanted to flame him, but I thought it was unnecessary.

Ray (coolingtower)

[quote=“Icon”]Thank you for your replies, Satellite and CT. I wish I could renounce here, but there is no official representative in Taiwan, none at all. Not even another country’s embassy appointed to handle business. Nada.

Poagao’s situation was “special” as he was the pioneer. However, his was the only case I found here about leaving the country. I had not paid attention to the six months in limbo abroad, though… I mean, if you are in Taiwan it is hard to live without ID, but abroad?!

I think I had read something about an European guy who had to leave, too, I’ll do some search. Anyone recalls that?

Oh, well, I still have time. When there is a will, there is a way.[/quote]

I don’t know if my situation was the first such case or even “special” as it was SOP at the time; the fact of the matter is that AIT’s jurisdiction didn’t include renunciations back then; they simply couldn’t offer that service. In more recent years, that has changed. In any case, I had no idea I would be stranded and effectively “stateless” in Hong Kong for so long; a short trip turned into half a year. I managed to find money to live on, but it was a close thing and pretty dodgy.

Poagao, your situation can be best described in Spanish as “le toco bailar con la mas fea”, meaning literally: you had to dance with the ugliest girl in the hall. Tough, really tough.

Eh, I was in my early 20’s so it wasn’t that big a deal. Doing it now, in my late 30’s, would be a bit different, I’d think.

I highly commend Poagao for the crap he had to endure to become a citizen. Now, at least the AIT can accept renunciations. Poagao and I were originally from the same country (USA).

It is a pretty painless process, Icon, if you’re considering it. If you love Taiwan enough.

Just for your information I made my renunciation by posting my documents to the Australian Immigration (DIMA) office in Canberra Australia. One the renunciation was completed my sister took the docs to the Taiwan office in Canber to be duly notarized.

I did not do it through our local ACIO office here in Taiwan as they cannot do that as also they are not the “official” government officails as you might have it.

Not as hard as it seems. :smiley:

Well not long ago this year a furriner chap I knew had overstayed for 12 years with no docs at all.
So it can be done.

I made a trip down to our local Taoyuan Household Registration Office this morning to go and get the required information from the horse’s mouth, so to speak. All I can say is that it is quite difficult not to get despondent about what lies ahead. The requirements and procedures were revised by the MOI in February 2008 and it seems that some of them are different from when you did it Coolingtower.

My friend and I had a look at the “Basic Language Ability and Common Sense of National Rights and Duties Test” (I kid you not!) and all I can say is, it has nothing to do with “basic language ability” at all. Quite the opposite, actually. The alternative is to go for classes at the local Elementary School. A minimum of 200 hours are required. It works out to about 34 weeks at 6 hours a week. I suppose I can do that.

What worries me is that the woman at the HHRO was convinced that the age of conscription is 40 years and not 35/36. She also said that I would have to do my military service within a year after I have attained citizenship. Does anyone know more about this? I’m 37 now and not quite that keen on going. She said that if you are married to a citizen, you don’t have to do it. Mmmm… :unamused:

There was an interesting article in the China Times today about two foreigners who had developed mental illnesses while serving in the military after becoming citizens. The military released one for treatment although he may have to go back. There was also a picture of a young (formerly)German guy who had become Taiwanese doing alternative service in the Tainan fire department. I though it was revealing that they referred to him as being of ‘German nationality’ (deji) even though he has presumably already obtained Taiwanese nationality.

The follow up piece quoted officials from the Ministry of National Defense saying that the cut-off age was 36 and recommending that foreigners who were close to that age delay for a couple of years so that they do not have to go into the service. Practical advice, but very Taiwan.

Thank you Feiren. I suppose she wasn’t the correct person to ask about that.

A-ha,

I became a citizen in September of 2005. A month later, the HRO where I got my ID asked me to attend a meeting in 高雄 about how they will administer the test. Most of the attendees (over 100) were HRO staff from 台南/高雄/屏東. The questions (some goofy) were selected from HRO all around the ROC. You would be given X number of questions out of a pool of 200. The questions are automatically selected by their system. Once you pass, it should be good forever–once you become a citizen, of course you won’t need to take it again. Some people have highlighted the more obscure questions like “How old must a child be to legally raise a pet.” Actually many of the questions are damn easy. “Which is faster? 自強號或電車?” I would recommend just taking the test. I seriously doubt you would fail. If you do decide not to take the test, PLEASE send us a picture of you sitting at the elementary school chairs/tables. You can probably get a hold of the questions in order to study for it.

For the military, I would suggest that you go to the 兵役科, to ask any questions about the military. I was 35 + 1 month when I got my first ID card. I was 36 + 1 month when they contacted me about doing my health exam. I was 36.5 when they called me to tell me I didn’t have to do it. 兵役科is the “horse’s mouth” for military issues. You can’t trust HRO for military details.

Let us know more about what you found out today.

Small island thinking. It will take years for us to shake that. Most people I meet can accept me as being Taiwanese, but there are always a few…