How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

okay now i am clear…

hey what is freaking crazy!!! man i really need to load up on patience!!! have to take inspiration from SatTv, Cooling Tower, you and all other other guys who have traveled this path…

ok now this raises another question… suppose you get your ID card in July so next year when you pay your taxes what will they do?? treat you as a foreigner for 6 months because you did not have an ID card and then treat you as a local for the next 6 months because you have an ID card?? i guess to truly get treated as a local you need about 2 - 3 yrs !!!

noted you got your TARC…so how many months are left on your sentence??

I have that sorted with my employer. As long as I don’t need a work permit after I get my Certificate of ROC Naturalization Candidature and later, my Certificate of ROC Naturalization, then I’m as happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t.

Of course, it’ll all be that much better once I finally have my ID Card in hand. :neutral:

as of today, i still need to wait 355 days :discodance:

[quote=“speed_maniac”]icon you can get back your deposit even now…I had got it back about 2 yrs ago…

SatTv guess you must be very popular with all your friends in Shanghai!!! they must be just waiting for you to come so that they can get free drinks!!

okay that’s my point…if the TARC does not have an ID number then what no do you give to the banks for renewing your credit cards?? how about the health insurance card?? right now it shows my PRC no but after I get the TARC then what no will it show? Will it show the no on the TARC?? if that’s the case then it means when you do get your ID card you have to again apply for a new NHi card…ah questions questions questions !!! i just want to know what happens during that one year jail sentence??

Okay I had read in the posts about the medical test before getting the ID card but what’s this about the police check?? what check do you have to do??

oooohhh 2010 seems so far away and this screwed up economy is multiplying the pain…[/quote]

Well, the phone maybe, but I was thinking more in terms of the credit card -secured type, got it years ago. Imagine, the wide world of Taiwanese credit cards will be open to me and no one will stop me from getting one “because I am a foreigner”… :nyah:

as of today, i still need to wait 355 days :discodance:[/quote]

ohs that’s great at least you know when your sentence will end…my case is still in the courts and i am waiting for my sentence to be handed down…

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“speed_maniac”]icon you can get back your deposit even now…I had got it back about 2 yrs ago…

SatTv guess you must be very popular with all your friends in Shanghai!!! they must be just waiting for you to come so that they can get free drinks!!

okay that’s my point…if the TARC does not have an ID number then what no do you give to the banks for renewing your credit cards?? how about the health insurance card?? right now it shows my PRC no but after I get the TARC then what no will it show? Will it show the no on the TARC?? if that’s the case then it means when you do get your ID card you have to again apply for a new NHi card…ah questions questions questions !!! i just want to know what happens during that one year jail sentence??

Okay I had read in the posts about the medical test before getting the ID card but what’s this about the police check?? what check do you have to do??

oooohhh 2010 seems so far away and this screwed up economy is multiplying the pain…[/quote]

Well, the phone maybe, but I was thinking more in terms of the credit card -secured type, got it years ago. Imagine, the wide world of Taiwanese credit cards will be open to me and no one will stop me from getting one “because I am a foreigner”… :nyah:[/quote]

sorry but did you have to pay a security deposit for your credit cards? yeah I get really bugged when they make that statement…just waiting to wag the ID card in front of them and get whichever credit card i want !!! guess like me you too have faced a lot of headaches in this particular " area " !!!

Puff!! Haven’t we all! :smiley:

Actually, it was my first credit card here, gotten as explained here: Credit Cards for foreigners in Taiwan

It has its advantages, even though I already have other cards, I like it because of its small limit I can confortably use it on the Internet. But if I was Taiwanese, I could get the ones specifically to be used on the Net. With my credit history, it wouldn’t be such a hassle.

And don’t get me started on guarantors. Why do we need a guarantor for a bank safety box? Am I going to take it with me? :loco:

checked the topic and hey it is really crazy !! lucky for me i did not have to face something like that…i got my gf to give me guarantee :smiley:

oh boy just when i thought i had heard and seen everything…Guarantor for a Safety box !!! crazy…

[quote=“speed_maniac”]checked the topic and hey it is really crazy !! lucky for me i did not have to face something like that…i got my gf to give me guarantee :smiley:

oh boy just when i thought I had heard and seen everything…Guarantor for a Safety box !!! crazy…[/quote]
You are actually very lucky. I don’t even get offered the “guarantor” bit. They just make me fill in the forms and then decline me, each and every time! :fume:

that really sucks but something similar did happen to me once…a lady called and said sir we can upgrade you so we will send you the forms and you fill them up that’s all…okay fine i get the forms fill them and then forget about it…after 1 month i get a call saying sir we cannot accept your case because you are a foreigner and we can only give you the basic card etc etc…huh?? i said hey u guys called me and asked me to fill in the forms…she said no not possible…i got flaming mad…i told her lady i am cutting your card and sending it back to you…thank you very much!!!

what drives me nuts is that these same banks will cry and say they have lots of credit card holders who have not paid and it is a problem etc etc…guys stop dishing out credit cards like they were candy to every tom, dick and harry on the street…stop giving credit cards to kids who don’t have a job…they run up the credit and them mom and dad are screwed…

i think the reason they refuse to give credit cards to us foreigners is not that we will run away w/o paying…with us they cannot catch mom / dad to pay for us…if you tell them sorry sir i am broke i dont have money then there is not much they can do…

i dont use the cards a lot but i do make it a point to pay the full amount…no part / min payment…i know of people who are still settling payments for items they bought in jan / feb 2008…the interest is killing !!!

A-ha do you have anyone who can give you guarantee?? if yes then next time u fill the form ask your guarantor to fill in their details too and think you will not get declined…if they do u have some basis for arguing with them !! give it a try if u have a guarantor!! :thumbsup:

Speed, I hear you. I suppose I actually do have friends I can ask, but as a 38 year old person with a good job and a good salary, I find it a bit demeaning to go and ask someone to co-sign a bank form, like I was a bloody minor. Same goes for rental agreements for my apartment. I won’t do it. I guess my only option is to wait for citizenship.

I feel your pain, brother. These sort of things formed the main impetus behind my initial decsion to go fully local.

A-ha I know what you mean and I too feel the same…it is only because of my gf that i could get the credit cards…i find it extremely demeaning !!! frankly speaking i too am waiting for my citizenship so that i will not have to face such situations any more…

sorry i was under the impression that you did not have anyone to co-sign for you…

I know Bismark and me are already on the " citizenship " road!! how about you??

have a great weekend !!!

I’m still busy with my Chinese studies (for the required 200 hours), so my process will start a bit later than you guys. I will apply for an APRC in the meantime though. That process will start in April.

I know plenty of people who have not needed a co signer.

Since when did you need a co signer for a rental contract?

Since when did you need a co signer for a rental contract?[/quote]
Some laoban’s require a co-signer for a rental agreement, not everyone is willing to let a foreigner sign a lease for a year on his own. Also, in most cases foreigners opay 3 months deposit, whereas Taiwanese are only asked for 2 (and in some cases, one) months deposit. Regardless of wghat you may have experienced etc… Being a foreigner here is a lot more hassle than most other hospitable places.

okay A-ha if tha is the case why don’t you just apply for citizenship once you complete the required 200 hours?? most of the paper work that you do for getting the PRC will be the same as that for getting your “preparation for ROC naturalization.” (Zun Gui Hua Zhong Hua Min Guo Guo Ji Zheng Ming).

of course the good thing about having the PRC is that will not be at the mercy of your employer and can change jobs as and when u like…

also like in my case ( because I had the PRC ) the paperwork ( aka headache ) required is much less when you apply for your “preparation for ROC naturalization.”

Since when did you need a co signer for a rental contract?[/quote]
Some laoban’s require a co-signer for a rental agreement, not everyone is willing to let a foreigner sign a lease for a year on his own. Also, in most cases foreigners opay 3 months deposit, whereas Taiwanese are only asked for 2 (and in some cases, one) months deposit. Regardless of wghat you may have experienced etc… Being a foreigner here is a lot more hassle than most other hospitable places.[/quote]

hear!! hear !!!

Not to mention the ones who will NOT rent to a furiner. I remember the irony of the time I used the college’s services to find an apartment. They have this list of places and when I called the landlords, 4 out of 6 told me straight up “we do not rent to foreigners”. Someone previously at college must have pissed them off real bad.

okay A-ha if tha is the case why don’t you just apply for citizenship once you complete the required 200 hours?? most of the paper work that you do for getting the PRC will be the same as that for getting your “preparation for ROC naturalization.” (Zun Gui Hua Zhong Hua Min Guo Guo Ji Zheng Ming).

of course the good thing about having the PRC is that will not be at the mercy of your employer and can change jobs as and when u like…

also like in my case ( because I had the PRC ) the paperwork ( aka headache ) required is much less when you apply for your “preparation for ROC naturalization.”[/quote]

And you will have to wait at least two more years to get citizenship after you get your APRC. the upside is you get it done faster.