How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Scuttlebutt was 5 years but to be honest, I dunno for sure.

[quote=ā€œilikecoffeeā€]Does anyone know the minimum period that you need after getting a PARC before you can apply for ROC ID?

I am thinking nowā€™s a good timeā€¦ but I only got my PARC in 2013. I couldnā€™t give up my citizenship then for family reasonsā€¦

Wondering
I like coffee[/quote]

According to the rules, to be eligible for an ROC ID, an individual must have lived in Taiwan legally (whilst holding a Legal ARC or APRC) for at least 5 years and during these 5 years, he/she must have stayed in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year. Since you already have the APRC, I believe you already fulfill the above requirementā€¦but just to be sure, hop over to your nearest HHR and inquire if you are eligible or not.

Received my Certificate of Naturalisation ā€¦Iā€™m a Taiwanese now!!! :discodance: Will go to the Immigration office on Monday to apply for my TARC.

Congratulations!

Yeah, congrads! Hereā€™s hoping the process continues to go smoothly!

Got my shiny new TARC today :discodance: ā€¦if everything goes right (assuming that I wonā€™t need to leave the country in the next 360 days), I shall be the proud owner of a Taiwan ID Card next year on June 5th :slight_smile:

Awesome

Dear Coolingtower,

I am interested in this process and/or curious about the documents could you please scan the documents for me for my reference
My e-mail willie8073@gmail.com

Great minds think alike, my friend. :howyoudoin:

BTW, that APRC change has been around a couple of years. Same with medical tests.[/quote]
Does anyone have an update as to whether the requirements for medical and police checks for citizenship are the same as for an aprc? I am trying to decide if I want to apply for the aprc or start the citizenship process. I know I donā€™t need the clearances for the aprc (the longest Iā€™ve been out of Taiwan is 3 weeks), but Iā€™m not sure about citizenship.

Nope. Citizenship is easier. Anyways, you do not need medical as a citizennof the 1st world who has not left the Island more than 3 months in the duration, same with police for APRC. That is why it is so easy now.

Check the list on what you really need.

Do you have a link to the most recent list? I could find what was listed 11 years ago on pg 1, but after more than 120 pages, I couldnā€™t find an updated list.

That other website still has a health check listed as one of the requirements at the stage before the Taiwan ID is given.

Do you have a link to the most recent list? I could find what was listed 11 years ago on pg 1, but after more than 120 pages, I couldnā€™t find an updated list.

That other website still has a health check listed as one of the requirements at the stage before the Taiwan ID is given.[/quote]

There was a newer one in the middle and I think there was a new thread on the requisites. Last time I was at the Household registry to get one, I realized it is even easier than the APRC because there is no tax paperwork required, for instance. Maybe you should stop by your local one too and get the forms, too.

You were trying to get the APRC, right? So you must have time requirements OK. The married folk with recent JFVC have been waived from presenting the police record, BTW.

EDIT:

From memory, for instance, my list differs from the one on page 118 in this thread like this:

1. An entry/exit document.
    2[strike]. A document from your employer(s) (Tzai Tze Tzen Ming).[/strike]
  2. Proof of residence (Ju Liu Tzen Ming).
  3. Local police report with ā€œno convictionsā€. (Jin Tsa Ju Tzeng Ming).
    [strike]5. A copy of your most recent tax report, if you are a legal worker.[/strike]
  4. Copies of your current ARC and passport.
  5. A copy of your police report from your original country. *

The proof of residence and exit/entry records (which I gotta check but think were also scrapped) you must get at NIA. For me it means a trek in New Taipei City but remember if you must wait, they can also sell you a self addressed envelope and send you the stuff later.

Local police is in Banquiao, 10 minutes tops.

Police report, as said, should be avoidable. If not, and you are from US, I am sorry, it is quite a hassle. Takes time. But it could be worse and it is not Mission Impossible -like us folk from not so developed nations.

No mention of medical as far as the eye can see.

That other website still has a health check listed as one of the requirements at the stage before the Taiwan ID is given.[/quote]

There was a newer one in the middle and I think there was a new thread on the requisites. Last time I was at the Household registry to get one, I realized it is even easier than the APRC because there is no tax paperwork required, for instance. Maybe you should stop by your local one too and get the forms, too.

You were trying to get the APRC, right? So you must have time requirements OK. The married folk with recent JFVC have been waived from presenting the police record, BTW.

EDIT:

From memory, for instance, my list differs from the one on page 118 in this thread like this:

1. An entry/exit document.
    2[strike]. A document from your employer(s) (Tzai Tze Tzen Ming).[/strike]
  2. Proof of residence (Ju Liu Tzen Ming).
  3. Local police report with ā€œno convictionsā€. (Jin Tsa Ju Tzeng Ming).
    [strike]5. A copy of your most recent tax report, if you are a legal worker.[/strike]
  4. Copies of your current ARC and passport.
  5. A copy of your police report from your original country. *

The proof of residence and exit/entry records (which I gotta check but think were also scrapped) you must get at NIA. For me it means a trek in New Taipei City but remember if you must wait, they can also sell you a self addressed envelope and send you the stuff later.

Local police is in Banquiao, 10 minutes tops.

Police report, as said, should be avoidable. If not, and you are from US, I am sorry, it is quite a hassle. Takes time. But it could be worse and it is not Mission Impossible -like us folk from not so developed nations.

No mention of medical as far as the eye can see.[/quote]
I will go and check it out at the HHR office soon. The FBI check would be a deal breaker for me at this point. If I applied today for that check, I probably wouldnā€™t have it in time. The fees for renouncing US citizenship also gives me pause. Itā€™s US$2,350 now to do so :eh:

Mm, I think I saw somewhere you could expedite that FBI check, and anyways, check for some loophole so you wonā€™t have to do it at all. Furthermore, you still have one year to do your renunciation.

Good luck.

[quote=ā€œIconā€]Mm, I think I saw somewhere you could expedite that FBI check, and anyways, check for some loophole so you wonā€™t have to do it at all. Furthermore, you still have one year to do your renunciation.

Good luck.[/quote]
Yeah, you can hire third party vendors, but I would still need the appropriate finger print card, person to finger print correctly, etc. Vendors still take a while, especially this time of year. And if they want the check they would probably want it authenticated. Like I said, a deal breaker at this point.

My guess is that the price of renouncing will only go up from here, since there are still record numbers of 'mericans renouncing.

It would make sense (not that this is usually any standard in Taiwan) that theyā€™ve done away with these repeated health checks, especially when everyone qualified already has a health card here. Itā€™s repetitive, unnecessary, and from a public health standpoint, worthless.

You are preaching to the choir. As a member of the fourth world, I got prodded and X rayed and examined and then they got samples of not only my blood but other liquid and solid ex parts of my body.

Sorry to hear it is not suitable for you at this point. Next year perhaps?

[quote=ā€œIconā€]You are preaching to the choir. As a member of the fourth world, I got prodded and X rayed and examined and then they got samples of not only my blood but other liquid and solid ex parts of my body.

Sorry to hear it is not suitable for you at this point. Next year perhaps?[/quote]
If I go ahead with the aprc, Iā€™m in no rush for citizenship. Iā€™m still going to go to the hhr and see what they say, but I could hang out on my aprc for a couple of years and see if they donā€™t perhaps change the rules for renouncing in the near future. I just donā€™t see myself having the guts to go through a period of statelessness.

Stateless I can take. One year stuck in Taiwan -you cannot go out of the country or else you have to wait another year- is tough.

Great minds think alike, my friend. :howyoudoin:

BTW, that APRC change has been around a couple of years. Same with medical tests.[/quote]
Does anyone have an update as to whether the requirements for medical and police checks for citizenship are the same as for an aprc? I am trying to decide if I want to apply for the aprc or start the citizenship process. I know I donā€™t need the clearances for the aprc (the longest Iā€™ve been out of Taiwan is 3 weeks), but Iā€™m not sure about citizenship.[/quote]

For citizenship, you definitely need a Police Clearance Certificate if you are Single and/or Have an APRC ā€¦If you have been previously married to a Taiwanese Citizen and have never left the country after the divorce, then you do not need it ā€¦the medical check will be required after you have stayed in Taiwan for at least a year on a TARC and about to apply for the ID.

Still 10 more mths to go for me :slight_smile: ā€¦arggghhh, the wait is killing me.