How to handle racism

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Being a minority woman sure is tough as hell in the corporate world.

I learned very early on that hard work doesn’t equal success career-wise. Perhaps switching companies to the path of least resistance/c#ckblockers (lol) is a good strategy.

If there are more suggestions on how to handle racism, cultures (?) and such, please keep them coming.

This…

I had quite a few jobs where I was one of the most efficient in the office in their benchmarks but then management then figured, why promote him, he’s a useful grunt.
A girl fresh out of uni with a MBA and no work experience became my manager. I quit shortly after.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that, Dan. Externals with no experience are the worst. Do you mind me asking which city/town or country it happened in?

1 Like

I like this, but also I am very surprised.
In my time 21 years in Europe, I have always considered the Italians as the most racists people out there, excluding the Eastern European block of course.

I am glad to hear a different side of the story!

3 Likes

In our global org we actively promote Indians and Chinese as a strategy to help understand and develop talent for those markets. On the other hand, other Asians like me , my Taiwanese colleagues , folks in South East Asia are not given those opportunities. :neutral_face:

It’s ridiculous to think there is generic discriminathin for and against Asian and Asian looking people. It varies tremendously even in Asia.

They also heavily discriminate by age in terms of putting you on a leadership career path.

There is a wide variation in corporate cultures, so if not happy in one there is a good chance you can prosper in another as some are actively pushing hiring of women , Asians, minorities, gays and lesbians and next I guess black Americans and Latinos. Anybody but the white middle aged man these days.

My best boss has been a Japanese woman. Tough but fair.

2 Likes

I experience this all the time in Taiwan! (I mean substitute “Taiwanese” for “Caucasian” in your sentences…) So maybe don’t think that coming back to Taiwan will be a paradise full of non-racist people. :wink: (Though I guess you would then be in the majority and free to oppress others… )

Anyway I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these things, racism does suck wherever you experience it. I’m guessing there are other people besides white people where you are? One way of “handling racism” can be sharing your experiences with other people who have experienced it & try to support and empower each other. Also maybe learn from your experiences so that when you are in a position of privilege you use it to help others and not oppress them.

4 Likes

Ignoring it will help your sanity!

1 Like

This is the Asia century!

I’m sure it can be difficult in some situations. At my company, women are promoted much faster than men, and that is especially true of minority women. I haven’t had any issue with that because they’ve all seemed incredibly capable and I don’t want a promotion as I’m currently paid to sit at home, think about issues at my own pace, and then tell people what I think.

Also, my wife has been incredibly fortunate to be a minority woman. She has seen opportunities that she’d never have had as a man. Her current company hired her in part because they were too male and Indian and people were unhappy. She also is hounded by headhunters regularly. It doesn’t hurt that she is culturally very comfortable in a western company and that she is excellent at her job.

Anyway, like most things in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to every situation. Use your advantages and acknowledge and overcome your disadvantages.

1 Like

I agree with the gist of what you’re saying, but you’re also looking at it pretty narrowly (just the women who already happen to be a part of these organizations).

In my organization (as in yours), the women with the experience and skills do get promoted faster than men. In fact, we have a CEO-driven target to get to 35% female senior management. In our industry this should actually be quite easy. One thing that does make it harder is a lot of female leaders get poached away.

I think the question is not: can women succeed in a company that has prioritized fast-tracking female leaders? Yes, they certainly can. The question instead is why are there not more women coming into the company at lower levels and developing their careers in the first place? Why are women (especially minority women) dramatically over-represented in low paid, menial work such as housecleaning, elder care, and food service, and dramatically underrepresented in high-paid corporate management jobs? There are plenty of reasons, but it’s a whole other discussion, and it’s clearly too much for one company to solve.

Maybe what I should have said is its tough as hell to get into the corporate world as a minority woman. Once you’re in, in many companies, the opportunities will definitely be there.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, but let me push back a bit on your premise. I don’t know that it’s harder for minority women to get into the corporate world; the prevalence of women at colleges indicates there certainly isn’t a lack of opportunity. But men and women, despite what certain orthodoxies would teach us, are different. On average they have different priorities, differed preferences, and different ways of approaching problem solving. The different outcomes are more likely a result of this than anything else.

This is not to say that there isn’t sexism or racism at work at all, though I expect the latter is largely absent from most American companies and the former is more likely to take the form of a work culture more suited to men than actual sexism.

Again, everyone is born with advantages and disadvantages. If you’re a minority woman and you want to be in the corporate world in America and you’re moderately capable, you’ll have more advantages than disadvantages on average.

Some people will never accept others. Many people will if you adapt to their communication style. Stand tall, look people in the eye, and speak confidently.
Make friends with the locals.
My best friends in Taiwan are Taiwanese. We share our dreams and pick each other up when bad things happen.
Just today, I picked up my car from the repair shop and the receptionist was afraid to speak to me, but I rrally wanted to understand my 15k repair bill. Once she realized that I speak Chinese, she helped me. Racism seems to be a combination of fear and ignorance. By being extra approachable, you can break through.
I also accept that I’ll always be an outsider here.

6 Likes

Canada has seemed to turned ULTRA hypocritical in many areas after the ccp virus.

Kne thing I cant stop pointing out to my.family there is how they talked about trump when.be wanted to shut the border to china during the virus and how racist they thought he was. Now canadians want to shut the border to Americans, and the irony kills me!

Canada is a good place, like taiwan. But hypocrites run amok. At least, like taiwan, they arent often violent.

I think this might not work well if you are a 6ft3 German with a beard lol.
The average Taiwanese will crap themselves.
'hallo can I be your friend ’

3 Likes

In America, if you don’t look people in the eye, we assume you’re hiding something. Eyes are the windows to the soul. In Taiwan, I adjust to what is culturally appropriate. Standing tall here looks confrontational.

2 Likes

Yes!!! After living in Canada for a long time - Toronto in particular, you realize there are so many hypocrites. They say one thing and do another. But actions speak louder than words. Hypocrite is an euphemism for “fake”.

Just google Jessica Mulroney’s latest racial scandal. There are so many fake Jessica Mulroneys here. They just don’t admit they’re secretly racist and don’t leave proof. I live in a mid-town neighborhood like Jessica’s and they’re rampant. Ugh.

I just woke up to the various comments people left. I’m assuming most live in Taiwan and it’s evening there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and let’s keep the discussion going.

Yes. And my kids from the Congo were always getting yelled at in class for not making eye contact…until I told my colleagues that in their country, making eye contact with a teacher, doctor…was disrespectful.

3 Likes

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/nativist-riots-of-1844/

Anti-Irish Catholics

Anti-Italians (think of all the meme on mobs in the U.S.). Anti-Italian immigrant went on for decades or more.

Anti-German immigrants.

Do I need to go on?
Each inflow of immigrants has come up against hate and bigotry.
Then they assimilated.
Does it make it right? NO, NO, of course not. I’m not making any apology for any of these actions. All those things were/are wrong.
It just does not make your case any more special from other immigrant class.
Jeesh. People were killed in the 1800s, because they came from a European country that was the “new” immigrant inflow.

Sorry to hear of your plight @TWLivesMatter. I truly am. However, in many tv shows now in the U.S. there are Asian characters, whether main roles or supporting, and they are now just being taken on like any other immigrant group.

That is true. However, unlike in the past, we absolutely should push back against it instantly. as per your example, nearly all (or maybe actually all) got accepted after a fight in the US. Why would one not expect the same from the asians. Of course it would be easier if assholes just shut the fu*k up and learned to mind their own business, but everyone seems to be into everyone elses lives these days…which is beyond logic.

Accept it is a problem and never accept it as standard. At the same time, never escalate it to hate. Pitty them like you would the poor cricket without hind legs. Racists suffer from mental retardation (literally), luckily most are suffering from environmental retardation rather than genetic issues. Or at least I hope!