How to import stuff?

What’s the process for importing stuff legally ? Let’s say I need a permit and have to pay import duty or something, how do I go about it ? If the stuff is sent to me by Fed-Ex, will they do it all for me and charge me the import duty ? Or do I have to get a permit myself ? If so, where from ? And how would Fed-Ex handle it then ?

BFM, as long as the goods are not on the restricted list then DHL / Fedex can handle everything for you and will charge any applicable import duty upon arrival.

If it is a large quantity of items, then would suggest that you think about other alternatives to DHL / Fedex, they get very expensive.

I don’t think they’re restricted, they’re not guns or anything like that, but they are for resale to earn a bit of extra pocket money. The boxes will be small in the whole scheme of things, Kgs (if that) as apposed to tonnes.
Good to know Fed-Ex/DHL will do the paper work for me, just have to try it and see, as long as I don’t arrested for attempted doughnut smuggling.

If it says “GIFT” on the package, they might not charge you import duties.

[quote=“twocs”]If it says “GIFT” on the package, they might not charge you import duties.[/quote]It won’t say gift, it wouldn’t be honest if it did, and it might all be sent by FedEx/UPS with no option of normal post.
I found this list of import rates: eweb.customs.gov.tw/public/Attac … 105071.txt (don’t know what column III and column I are, anyone ?)
Find the item code here: eweb.customs.gov.tw/public/Attac … 014771.txt
And look up any restrictions here: fbfh.trade.gov.tw/rich/test/indexfhE.asp , There are no restrictions on Estonian novelty thimbles.
9301200000 is a fun code to look up, just hope I don’t get my door knocked down a SWAT team for trying that one :s

Just something from experience, if you are going to sell your imports, reporting to an accountant and so on, make sure the courier you use gives you all the appropriate documentation needed to claim your import as an expense. And if for any reason you need to exchange products sent, remember to get all the documentation for that or you will have to pay sales tax twice (you pay 5% sales tax upon importation).

I recently imported some products myself, and I used a customs agent to handle it, I am glad I did cos it didn’t cost much but he saved me from paying 12% import duty by being able to find a better item code for me.

[quote=“asiababy”]
I recently imported some products myself, and I used a customs agent to handle it, I am glad I did cos it didn’t cost much but he saved me from paying 12% import duty by being able to find a better item code for me.[/quote]

Could you tell us which agent you used?

Great Site. Apec Tariff Database. You have to sign up, but it’s a great resource.
http://www.apectariff.org/

I used to work at the Pacific Highway Truck crossing in South Surrey, BC. The basic nuts & bolts:

1. Have correct and ALL applicable documentation included with shipment. Proof of (or at least declaration of )Country of origin is very important in getting deferential tariff rates.
  2. try and avoid Big Name Carriers, who often tend to hit you with improper tariff classification and/or “storage” fees. UPS are notorious for this, especially in Taiwan. If you can, use the domestic postal route. Many things will slip thru customs’ perusal, especially with some crafty use of the Harmonized Tariff System.
  3. when dealing with any and all customs officials, break out your biggest shit-eating grin. :smiley:

Here is the contact info for one forwarder. They have English-speaking staff in Taipei and they are happy to help small businesses and individuals. They can help you with the entire importing process from the export country to Taiwan. My contact is Mr. Leo Shao. His telephone no. is 2394-9009 extn 100. Mr Shao is sending me some more company info, I will post it here when I receive it.

1 Like

Hi

I am new to importing and hope someone could help me out. I wish to import marmalade and nut -based spreads from Taiwan to China. A supplier I contacted was not very friendly and ask me to check out the import tariff.

Most exporters will have a MOQ,right ? Say, as a trial basis, I wish to buy in small qty , how do I do it ? And how do I work out the exact costing ?

Appreciate any comments