How to keep my bicycle safe

Hello!

So I bought a new bicycle for a ride around Taiwan. I just left my apartment this morning. I am currently in some hostel, my bike is waiting outside, only locked to its own rear wheel, and I am worried it won’t be there anymore when I’ll get back. Anybody could just take it, put it into their car, and cut the lock home. The bike racks I have seen are rare and are so small I could not even lock the frame. I have even seen a sign “No bicycle. Will get towed” (or something). Now I even worry I will leave my bike somewhere it is not supposed to be and the the city will legally towed it.

Any tips? And where am I allowed to leave my bike ?

Edit:
So this is my bike: https://www.giantcyclingworld.com/bike.php?id=20406877 (Giant, Ineed Cheer model, grey/brown version)

How long before it gets stolen?
Please vote! :upside_down_face:

• 3 days
  • 1 week
  • 2 weeks
  • 3 weeks
  • 4 weeks
  • 5 weeks or more
  • never

0 voters

I’ll tell you whether or not it as been stolen at the end of the trip.

You will quickly learn that this is Taiwan. People here are very respectful and will not just take your things. I usually use my iPhone and wallet to save my seat while I go to the bathroom in restaurants. Just put a lock on the bike and that lets people know not to mess with it. No worries here!

2 Likes

Usually I will just put my bike with the other bikes in the area, be careful of the tow sign. It happens, but not often , where they will tow that entire spot. Theft of bicycles is far and few between.

1 Like

If your bike looks old and grungy most likely you can just leave it outside and nobody will take it.

If you spent big money on the bike and it looks expensive, take it inside, don’t even lock it. Very good bike locks may provide good protection but a determined thief will find ways to quickly defeat it.

You can sometimes distress your nice shiny bike so it’s not nice and shiny anymore and it will blend in nicely. But in general you won’t see many bike thieves.

1 Like

If it’s new and nice looking…really you should take it in. Those will disappear, even if locked down to something. Understand many places won’t allow this which is why I call and ask beforehand to make sure I can bring it into my room, or there is a secure place within the building I can keep it.

1 Like

Ha! Nobody’s going to steal your iPhone or wallet but if you think that bikes won’t walk off you’re either new to Taiwan or have a pile of bikes that you want to sell to people who have had their stolen.

I don’t even try to lock my bikes up - they come inside when I do. If I need to stop in a convenience store or something of that nature, they are parked in a place that I can keep my eyes on them throughout the visit.

6 Likes

Many people do that and even forget they had a bike somewhere, but can’t remember where, hence all the bike carcasses at MRT stations bike racks.

Many foreigners have the ‘they-will-steal-my-bike’ syndrome and keep an eye on it when sipping a coffee somewhere.

1 Like

Taiwanese will tell you the same.

Find a fairly decent bike simply left outside overnight and not stolen and post it here.

If your bike looks old and grungy @Taiwan_Luthiers will have his way with it. :laughing:
Jokes tho :wink:

1 Like

Just popping in to let OP know I absolutely would steal his bike. And I’d steal this guy’s iPhone and wallet.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Remove seat/saddle.

See you on the front of Apple Daily.
Don’t tell them you’re on Forumosa or you will be there for a week.
:wink:

lol? :rofl:

bikes and scooters get stolen, its quite routine. have you seen those scooters that have polka dots spray painted on them ? they are made up to look like piles of shit so people won’t steal them!

I’ve had one bike stolen, It was locked but it wasn’t pinned down to anything. it was also in a somewhat crowded area for bikes. if you are going to be gone for a while, lock the bike to something, and the area can make a difference. the current area i put my bike is right under security cameras at an MRT exit.
for riding around the block use a crappy bike. if you have a nice bike keep it at home.

1 Like

Or steal/borrow one?

If it’s something you value, you should keep it within sight or lock it. Always ask your hostel, hotel or what have you if you can bring in your bike. Most of the time, they’re very ok with it as they probably get a lot of cyclists on their round the island tour.

Bike theft isnt common, but it does happen. However, if expensive shiny bikes get stolen and it’s parts end up on Shopee or second hand FB groups, someone will notice it. If one of your mates who can barely afford a 20-30k bike all of a sudden shows up in a 6 figure beauty, youll know he’s going to lose face and get shamed.

Not to scare OP, but bikes that do get stolen are mostly touring bikes and those granny ones. Those you can resell easily to make a quick buck and/or use yourself without anyone knowing you stole it.

1 Like

You live on the edge. What do you read in the can then? :ponder:

1 Like

I’ve got a bike i’m fairly emotionally attached to, and I had the anxiety of it being taken from me for quite a while. Bought special keyed axles and security bolts for the seat post and everything, then I let go of the anxiety.

For me, the best security device I have is a second bank account with enough money stored in it to buy a replacement. Special bike insurance is a ripoff, don’t bother.

I’ve had the bike eight years and it’s been locked up for days on end in bike crime hotspots in the UK and I still have it. One time I forgot I left my work laptop in a pannier strapped to it unlocked at a major train station. It was fine.

2 Likes

My bike was stolen in Beijing the 2nd day I got it lol. Never had a bike stolen in Taiwan.

People told me to make your bike look crappier in Beijing to prevent it from being stolen.

1 Like

@urodacus would say, if your bike lock isnt heavier than your bike, it’s not worth buying.

2 Likes

All you need is one of these:

Fitted with a carbide blade it will cut through hardened steel. Quietly too if ran at a slow speed.

1 Like