How to make a folder password-protected on my computer?

I have some word files that are confidential and I’d like to have them password-protected. All of them are saved in the same folder, so ideally, I’d like to have the whole folder password-protected. I’m sure it can be done since my 5 years old Casio organizer can do it. I just don’t know how. Can anyone help with some instructions?

Thank you,

marboulette

word can password protect files
not sure how to do it on a Chinese OS though :frowning:

Word --> Tools --> Options --> Security, then type and confirm a password to open the file. That’s just for individual files.

I don’t use this feature so I’m not sure of the details, but for folders I think you first set up users on the computer and require a login for each; you would make yourself admin, I think. Then you go to a folder, right click on its icon, go to Properties, then the Sharing tab, then click ‘make this folder private’ (for that particular user’s eyes only). That’s XP. Someone else can probably fill you in more on this, better than I can.

besides what db says, i don’t think you can make an ordinary folder password protected directly, though you can password protect a zipped folder (without setting up any different users.)

support.microsoft.com/kb/306531

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]besides what db says, I don’t think you can make an ordinary folder password protected directly, though you can password protect a zipped folder (without setting up any different users.)

support.microsoft.com/kb/306531[/quote]

I followed the instructions in the link above and it worked. Sort of. I managed to get the folder zipped, and I added a password. The problem is I can still open the folder and see the names/titles of each Word document. It’s when I try to open the files that I am prompted for a password. So I scrapped the zipped folder and did what DB suggested above which does the same job. One can open the folder, but each Word document is individually password-protected. Not exactly what I wanted, but good enough.

Thanks, all!

marboulette

Just don’t give your docs kinky titles and it shouldn’t be a problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I should rename them all… :laughing:

marboulette

Try Cryptainer. The free version creates a 25 Mb encrypted ‘folder’ to store files. It can only be accessed using a password. I used to use it and never had any problems.

NeonNoodle,

YOU ARE A GENIUS! That is my ticket. It was easy to install, easy to use, and it only took me about 5 minutes, installation included, to set up the said folder password-protected. The free version allows for 25mb of storage, and I am currently using only 1.39mb. That’s more space than I will ever need.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

marboulette