How to make friends and start dating again

First of all I am new here, and as topic I am quite desperately so in need of making new friends. For a little background here is my wall of text.
Sorry for the horrible grammar, but I am currently not in the best set of mind.

I had been with my ex-girlfriend for about 6 years. However, recently, aka yesterday she removed all her items from my place without my knowledge. Hence, assuming I got dumped. Now, the fun thing was that I didn’t know she had keys to my apartment. So imagine the shock I had when I entered my apartment with a truck load of stuff gone.

Well, to make the matter worse, I was actually invited out to have dinner with our mutual friend, which I had also known for around 6 years or so. Now, that I have established a baseline, when I went to the police to file a police report, it turned out my ex-girlfriend had invited some of our mutual friends to break in to my apartment and claimed her belonging.

Tl:dr : the local friends I made since I came to Taiwan all backstabbed me. How do I move on and actually meet people? Also I am Asian that was born and raised in Canada.

This could be a good point to make a fresh start. If you can, move to a new place. Anything around you will remind you about your ex.
Otherwise get busy. Follow up on hobbies you had no time being with your ex. You will automatically make new friends this way.

2 Likes

Do whatever you want to do. Especially those thing you couldn’t in a relationship.

Thank you for all your inputs, but most of the hobbies are quite anti-social. I am guessing I will be forever alone.

don’t be depressed. it’s the weekend.
get out and about town. walk around. if hot, stop at convenience store.
you are NOT the first one to have this (gf issue) happen to you. 100s of others.

4 Likes

Whatever happened beforehand that’s a tough one. Don’t stay at home moping around…

1 Like

Improve yourself. Get to the gym, eat healthy, learn new skills, try new hobbies, go on a trip, go wild.

2 Likes

Start looking at new areas to move too, plan your new life. it’s a hard lesson but life moves on and so will you.

Edit: Corrected Spelling

1 Like

What hobbies are you interested in? I’m in similar boat. Taiwanese but raised in America. Not a fan of the outdoors. So hiking and camping doesn’t appeal to me, which is what I find most people like to do. So if you figure out how to find friends that prefer indoors than out doors. Please let me know. :grin:

welcome @Joebie
you two can meet up at a Family Mart,
buy 2 cans of Pilsner Urquell for NT$89, and swap war stories

6 Likes

Perhaps it’s time for reflection and soul searching?

Well, I am trying to expand my network by going to social events starting today. However, I am not entirely sure what else can be done. I guess finding a family mart and sharing stories doesn’t sound that bad.

Yeah

Go clean your room, bucko.

1 Like

Well said, but I think I am done cleaning up like 24 hours ago.

1 Like

Jail for these thugs.

Not to thread hijack or anything, but I was ecstatic when we were in Taiwan this spring and found that they had Pilsner Urquell in the fridge!!!

Relationships are tough. Look at all the books , novels, novellas, tv shows, movie scripts, etc written about it. It’s a mine field. And yet we do it. get into relationships. Because few people want to be alone all the time. You start to talk to yourself. Not good.

So brush the fluff off, and get to improving yourself, be your own best friend. Jumping right into another relationship is poisonous because you have to clean your mind up first on the first one.
It all takes time though so go easy on yourself.

Some relationships are much harder to forget than others.

It’s always hard to be the droppee and not the dropper. The dropper usually feels elation, relief, joy , even extreme happiness. The droppee feels like shit basically, usually.

It sucks to be dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3wJ1_1Zsg

There are people that murder their former partners when they want out, there are people that murder themselves. Both are horrible decisions. When the fact is …after you realize it, she/he is just a person. There really are other people out there and many are better people for you.

I’ve had some girls I had a very hard time to forget, but eventually I can manage without them and eventually i wonder what all the fuss was about with them? They were eventually forgettable. Everyone is eventually forgetable . Set them free. and set yourself Free.

Would swimming in an indoor pool count as an out door activity or indoor:grinning:

The only indoor swimming I do is on a table top with tiles. :smiley:

1 Like