How to make friends?

Like seriously, how do you make friends her in taiwan? I have been here for almostt 10 onths an dalmot no friends

Are you sauced again doin lonely posts on the forumosa?

5 Likes

I have some heavy sauce and my posts are always lonely
but in all serious I have started a job 1.5 years ago and I dont know how to start a friendship with the otherwieple there

1 Like

Language exchange. Join a club or gym. Attend events that interest you. Just put yourself out there!

Actually, my number one best tip for making more friends if you are the introverted type is to just make the one Key Friend who is super social and knows tons of people and will introduce you to everyone. That’s what i’ve always done, ride the coattails of the popular one.

2 Likes

More specifically, I started a job about 6 weeks ago. I am friendly with the people here when it comes to discussing the work, but nothing else. How dow I talkto them?

Get them talking about themselves and just listen until something you can talk about comes up.

2 Likes

You could also just ask what they would suggest that you do for fun after work or on the weekends, if you’re still new to the island. Even if you aren’t that new, just act like you still don’t really know where to schmooze. Sometimes that leads to an invitation to come along if they’re doing something.

I assume you wanna make local friends? Get yourself a qt gf? It might be easier to just befriend some other, more sociable expats first and let them lead you to the locals they know.

1 Like

One year in Taiwan, and I confirm it is really difficult to make any friend

Lots of workplaces aren’t conducive to making friends.
It’s just the way it is. Also Taiwan really isn’t the easiest place in the world to strike up friendships. It’s true.
Maybe you can join some group activities or clubs…Hiking , martial arts, football, running…More foreigner oriented is better for foreigners.

1 Like

Depending on the nature of the work, I might not choose to be friends with people outside of work.

There are lots of group activities if you look on the internet and Facebook. You said you like fishing, there’s probably a group for that. You’re the not first person feeling lonely and many before you have made Organizations and groups. I’ve played basketball with groups that have been around like 40 years, golf, boxing. There’s a lot out there.

Maybe you and @dashu should hang out

Wild Bird Society of Taipei. They are good people and very friendly, and there are branches all over the island.

In Hsinchu area, but open to move to Taipei /Taichung too, indeed

Meetup.com has a lot of activities geared towards many different hobbies and interests.

I’m wary of this, to a degree. When I get my move in in about 8 months, I want to be able to stretch out of work, but I’m not against having just work friends.

Friends are hard to come by anywhere anyway lol.

I’ve been here 16 years and I don’t have any friends I see more than a couple times a month in passing. That’s about all the friendship I can handle.

Definitely do some volunteering. I was there for a month and made so many friends through volunteering its insane.

Be careful of the 'I just want to have a foreign friend to learn English or say I have a foreign friend ’ types…

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:@“I have a foreign friend types”. Yeah I’ve met a few of them over the years , that is a wise quote above, ignore it at your peril

Actually to be more specific, I have trouble even talking to people at work. I mean I’m the just put my head down and work type, and no one ever really starts any conversations with me. So it is kinda lonely