How To Make The Most Out Of Long Flight

Hi,

I’m headin’ back to Oz, which means I’ll soon be doing some long-distance flying. I’m hardly looking forward to being wedged into an economy-class seat; needless to say, a week-long side-effect of walking like Quasimodo is something I can do without. So, I thought I’d start a post to see what other people could recommend in terms of “ways of improving one’s flying experience”.

For the record, I’m flying Thai Air. I’ve asked for seating along the exit row, for a bit of extra leg room, and have ordered a “preferred meal”, which means I’ll be served 1st. I also plan to bring in a couple of bottles of drinking water, just to make sure I don’t get too dehydrated.

Does anyone have a surefire way to wangle a free upgrade to Business Class?

Cheers,

The Big Babou :wink:

Big B, I’m likewise heading back to Oz for chrissie.

My plan for long flights is to:

(a) Grab that emergency exit, or alternativley ask for the last row in the plane. They seem to fill planes front to back so if there’s any spares you’ve got a great spot to nab extra stretch out room as soon as the buckle light’s off;

(b) Take valium and more valium. Mild amounts of aclcohol and plenty of water. Loads of water; and

© Break the flight with a night’s sleep in transit. I can’t help myself. If I rock up somewhere in transit I’ll walk my legs off checking it out. By the time morning comes and its time to fly I’m ready to sleep.

Recently someone told me the best way to get an upgrade is to rock up to check in as early as you can. Be the first in line with smart clothes and a cool attitude. If there indeed are seats to balance warranting upgrading economy passengers they like to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Can’t say. I’ve been bumped once only in my life and I really don’t know why that happened. I refer you to the more valium comment.

Loads of tunes, be courteous to the flight folk.

HG

I usually don’t sleep the day before, not on purpuse thought, and then get to sleep most of the flight. That’s a big plus, if you don’t wanna start a boring conversation with your neighbours…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
© Break the flight with a night’s sleep in transit. I can’t help myself. If I rock up somewhere in transit I’ll walk my legs off checking it out. By the time morning comes and its time to fly I’m ready to sleep.

Recently someone told me the best way to get an upgrade is to rock up to check in as early as you can.
HG[/quote]

Sorry to be a curious pedant, but rock up is a new one for me. Meaning?

Rock up = turn up, arrive.

HG

Rock up = turn up, arrive.

HG[/quote]

Oh, I see. Is it a regional colloquialism? From where? I couldn’t find it in any dictionaries…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
(b) Take valium and more valium. Mild amounts of aclcohol and plenty of water. [/quote]

Yeah, always make sure you stop by Dr. Feelgood and pick up a little
put-me-down before long trips. :smiley:

I try to get some Chi excercises in during the flight. A little stretching works wonders.

Not sure. I was quite surprised you’d not heard it. I grew up in Western Australia but lived most of my adult life in Sydney and increasingly Taiwan. I’ve used this term for eons and not once had anyone express any uncertainty as to its meaning.

I’ve forgotten where you’re from . . . and I salute and respect your decision not to wag a flag in my face to inform me. I vaguely recall mention of England (?) I have quite a few English mates and I never weed out my regional speak for their benefit as I usually find they’ve heard it, and much else before.

Live and learn.

HG

I once got a comfy seat at the front with a nice view. Then the pilot came in and threw me out :expressionless:

this is what I do

I read, eat, and go to sleep, wake up, read, eat and go to sleep, bathroom, read, eat and I am at my destination.

Or I chat with my neigbor, if he is cute.

Don’t bother, just ask the flight attendants. Normally they will serve you extra on demand, including snacks (sandwiches, chocolate bars, fruits), even in economy class.
Also expect your drinks to be expected at the gate, liquids are now checked closer since they could pose a threat.

Long flights are a problem for me, never can sleep and economy class is just a pain for me. When I returned to Taiwan a few weeks back (from a holiday) I requested for an aisle seat and was happy to get one - but only on the shuttle flight, on the long haul flight they squezzed me in the middle row. :x
Anyhow, normally I try to kill time by watching all the movies available and reading a book or magazines. Drinking alc (wine) didn’t help me when I tried it, instead it made me sick and the whole experience worst.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Not sure. I was quite surprised you’d not heard it. I grew up in Western Australia but lived most of my adult life in Sydney and increasingly Taiwan. I’ve used this term for eons and not once had anyone express any uncertainty as to its meaning.
HG[/quote]

Oh dear, nowI feel dumb! Perhaps it’s Australian then cos I’m from Britiain and I don’t recall encountering it. Sorry to harp on so, but I’ve got a thing for words. Maybe I need to to find an Ozzie English Dictionary.

once the stewardess took 3 kids into the cockpit to speak with the captain (i was one of these kids). the captain gave us a geography test with some prizes to give out. i was the only one who could name afghanistan, and kabul, and ukraine. pilot looked all pissed off at me. he kept wanting the little kid on my right to say something. ended up giving that kid the better prize. jerk.

that airline was later bought out by Air Canada or Canadian (the airline was WardAir)

i don’t like to drink on airplane, makes me feel worse. i just make myself sleep, wake up watch a movie, eat, goto toilet, sleep, another movie, more sleep.
but one time i couldnt sleep. so i got all antsy and claustrophobic, i had to work up and down the aisle… up and down.
and then sometimes i would dream that the perfect lady would sit beside me and strike up a conversation. needless to say, still an unrealized dream.

So where do you get valium in Taiwan?
and whats the best dosage?

and where do you get those blown up neck braces that also function as a pillow… I have seen them before…
My neck always ends up badly twisted on a flight

Closet Q. Looks like it is indeed Australian slang. The definition provided is uncannily similar to the on I gave.

Rock up : to turn up, to arrive - “we rocked up at their house at 8pm”

Yours in wordsmithery.

HG

Ok guys, thanks for the drug advice… usually I stay up all night the night before and have a coupla drinks before I board. The last time I flew, I fell asleep before takeoff and woke up as we were landing. So, I seem to have that one worked out, but because this flight will take a little longer, I’m a little worried about waking up and not being able to get back to sleep.

I will definitely gety one of those inflatable pillows that wrap around your neck; I’ve seen the look of rapture on the people who use them…

What about luggage… I have about 200kg of stuff that I want to return with. Although I may freight/post some of it back, I’d like some tips on how to send as much as possible through the airline (at no extra cost)…

Cheers,

The Big Babou

Big B, are you returning to Oz for a period of time?

Box it back. It’s very cheap (or was last time I did it). Different airlines react differently to overweight baggage. I think my best has been around 40kg. That time as I was checking in the woman made some comment and I grabbed one of the bags and muttered that I’d take it on as hand luggage. She let it go. You could be lucky or . . if you have to pay. Ouch!

Actually I think Thai cut me some slack once too. Don’t know that they usually do.

HG

Oh my god, this is going to cost you a fortune. A friend of mine works at a check in, here’s the rule: If your flying economy class, 20kg is officially allowed, as stated on your ticket, but where he works, they turn a blind eye on it until 29kg. Starting from 30kg, you have to pay every kg, include the 9kg, they turn a blind eye on. I don’t remember the price per kg, but it’s huge!!! If I were you, I would try every other possibility, but checking it in…

Just a little advice from a former poor student with usually lots of luggage… :smiley:

Fly First Class. :wink:

But seriously, this is going to cost you. I did a flight once with 52kg, shuttle on economy and long haul on business so they started counting from 30kg. First the rounded down to 50kg and then charged me only for 15 additional kg, very kind actually.
It still cost me around USD40/kg though from Malaysia to Germany - for clothes I could have bought new (but then you don’t start throwing them away if you are already at the airport …).
You can ask the airline about the charges, it might differ between them and of course depends on the actual distance.

IMHO air freight is the same charges if you drag the stuff to the counter, else you would need to pay for pick up and delivery services (e.g. if you use a moving company). They do take care of the paper work for you though.