How to Obtain a China (PRC) Visa in Hong Kong or Macau

My latest experiences obtaining a visa in Hong Kong. Single, double entry, multiple visas are available. Different visa types and processing times cost different prices. Check websites for specifics. I am from US with US passport but process will work in general for anyone.

• Obtained multiple entry visa via CTS in March 2013 for HK$2300 (~TW$8800/US$300), 30 days per stay, valid 6 months. Submit request before 1030am and it is available for pickup after 5pm next day. I requested the shortest processing time available.

• Obtained double entry visa via CTS in Aug 2012 for ~(US$250), 30 days per stay, valid 6 months. Submit request before 1030am and it is available for pickup after 5pm next day. I requested the shortest processing time available.

How to Obtain?

• Go to a China Travel Service (CTS) office in Hong Kong/Macau, website: enquiry@ctshk.com. (Note: This is not an advertisement for CTS, but they are by far the largest, most efficient and organized, company with the most offices easily locatable in Hong Kong, and they are especially quick and efficient with China visas. They have dozens of branches all over Hong Kong, Kowloon, and Macau. Be careful as there are companies that try to represent CTS and even use same name.)

• Fill out form for visa at CTS. I was concerned that perhaps I didn’t have enough information, but don’t worry. CTS just asked me a few questions, filled in the form. They didn’t even use all the information that I had available. It was surprisingly short and simple. Have 2 passport size photos available or make them onsite. I recommend downloading paperwork in advance from website or China embassy websites and fill as much information as possible. It will make it easier when you complete a new one at CTS.

Thanks for the info. - very useful!

Some other info. on the China visa prices, if anyone’s interested (via Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada):

VI. Fees and Payment

1. Regular Service

Single Entry: $50

Double Entry: $75

6-month Multiple Entry: $100

12-Month Multiple Entry: $150

Group Visa: $40 per visa

Note: US passport holders will be charged $140 if applied individually and $120 per visa if applied as a group.

1. Express service: an additional fee of $35 per visa will be charged.

2. Rush service: an additional fee of $50 per visa will be charged.

FYI: I tried to call them at the above number, to no avail (I want to see if I can arrange a China visa from Taiwan).

Call their customer service hotline: (852) 2998-7888, press “3” for English (“2” for Mandarin), then “8” for China visa enquiries, then “#” to speak to customer service rep.

So yeah… after waiting for ten minutes, I gave up.

Macau does not require a visa. They also stamp your passport the Cuban way, leaving no evidence of you ever being there. You know, so you can come gamble worry-free vis-a-vis taxes on your winnings.

According to this article (in German), China has tightened visa regulations. Especially worth mentioning: at the moment no express visas are issued in Hongkong to EU citizens

spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/chi … 19924.html

Can anybody confirm this?

I just came across this, the fact that China Travel Service (HK) has booths in the airport both for Taiwanese nationals and others, in order to get visa to China within a couple hours, or at least the next day: hongkongairport.com/eng/pass … rvice.html

Great threads and forum about getting China visas in HK:
tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 … _Kong.html

EDIT: I e-mailed Forever Bright Trading Ltd., which is mentioned as trusted in the Trip Advisor thread about possibly getting my China visa by mail, and although it is not possible by mail, this is the good news they e-mailed back (for a Canadian passport). I think I’ll be using them:

HI,CAN NOT GET BY MAIL.
HI,FROM 1ST/JUL,ONLY SINGLE OR DOUBLE WITH DURATION 30DAY VISA IS AVAILABLE FOR A MOMENT,MAYBE NEED 2 WORKING DAYS TO GET.
SINGLE IS $650HKD,DOUBLE IS $750HKD BY TWO WORKING DAYS FOR CAN PASSPORT.
IF HAVE 2 PEOPLE,CAN GET ONE MONTHS STAYING GROUP VISA BY SAME DAY.THE PRICE IS $500HKD FOR ONE PERSON.
come before 0945am,pick up 1200-1300pm by next day,come before 1330pm,pick up 1600pm by next day(mon-thu),fri,sat,sun is not available.
need documents:one photo and paspsort only(if you have no photo,we can make for you at our office by $30hkd).
Pay later on picking up your visa by cash,so,you have enough time to change your money.
Our office time:0800-1830(mon-fri).
宏略旅遊貿易有限公司
Forever bright trading ltd
九龍尖東科學館道14號新文華中心B座九樓916-7室
Rm 916-917,New Mandarin Plaza,Tower B, 14 Science Museum Rd T.S.T East Kowloon
tel:852-23693188 fax: 852-23122989
REGARDS
FROM LUK TAK

Right, but you can hang out in Macau while awaiting China visa.

[quote=“shawn_c”]I just came across this, the fact that China Travel Service (HK) has booths in the airport both for Taiwanese nationals and others, in order to get visa to China within a couple hours, or at least the next day: hongkongairport.com/eng/pass … rvice.html
[/quote]

Taiwanese don’t use the CTS service. There is a unique separate PRC office provided specifically for Taiwanese to get China pass. It is located inside before departing immigration.

Visa processing (for Americans for sure and perhaps others) takes at least one day. CTS stopped providing same day service a couple years ago.

If you want a visa by mail then no reason to got to Hong Kong first. Visa by mail can be done via travel agents in Taiwan who will send the passport off by mail.

[quote=“tango42”][quote=“shawn_c”]I just came across this, the fact that China Travel Service (HK) has booths in the airport both for Taiwanese nationals and others, in order to get visa to China within a couple hours, or at least the next day: hongkongairport.com/eng/pass … rvice.html
[/quote]

Taiwanese don’t use the CTS service. There is a unique separate PRC office provided specifically for Taiwanese to get China pass. It is located inside before departing immigration.

You can use the CTS at airport, but still have to wait overnight in HK, so it can be more convenient to use service in town, especially if catching a train out to China from Kowloon.

Visa processing (for Americans for sure and perhaps others) takes at least one day. CTS stopped providing same day service a couple years ago.

If you want a visa by mail then no reason to got to Hong Kong first. Visa by mail can be done via travel agents in Taiwan who will send the passport off by mail.[/quote]

[quote=“shawn_c”]I just came across this, the fact that China Travel Service (HK) has booths in the airport both for Taiwanese nationals and others, in order to get visa to China within a couple hours, or at least the next day: hongkongairport.com/eng/pass … rvice.html

Great threads and forum about getting China visas in HK:

EDIT: I e-mailed Forever Bright Trading Ltd., which is mentioned as trusted in the Trip Advisor thread about possibly getting my China visa by mail, and although it is not possible by mail, this is the good news they e-mailed back (for a Canadian passport). I think I’ll be using them:

HI,CAN NOT GET BY MAIL.
HI,FROM 1ST/JUL,ONLY SINGLE OR DOUBLE WITH DURATION 30DAY VISA IS AVAILABLE FOR A MOMENT,MAYBE NEED 2 WORKING DAYS TO GET.
SINGLE IS $650HKD,DOUBLE IS $750HKD BY TWO WORKING DAYS FOR CAN PASSPORT.
IF HAVE 2 PEOPLE,CAN GET ONE MONTHS STAYING GROUP VISA BY SAME DAY.THE PRICE IS $500HKD FOR ONE PERSON.
come before 0945am,pick up 1200-1300pm by next day,come before 1330pm,pick up 1600pm by next day(mon-thu),fri,sat,sun is not available.
need documents:one photo and paspsort only(if you have no photo,we can make for you at our office by $30hkd).
Pay later on picking up your visa by cash,so,you have enough time to change your money.
Our office time:0800-1830(mon-fri).
宏略旅遊貿易有限公司
Forever bright trading ltd
九龍尖東科學館道14號新文華中心B座九樓916-7室
Rm 916-917,New Mandarin Plaza,Tower B, 14 Science Museum Rd T.S.T East Kowloon
tel:852-23693188 fax: 852-23122989
REGARDS
FROM LUK TAK[/quote]

I am happy to report that I went to Hong Kong and went to Forever Bright Trading Ltd. and successfully got my single-entry China visitor visa for HK$650.

It was extremely easy to find the office of Forever Bright; bus or subway in front of Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hung Hom Station), or you could take another bus or subway station and walk just a few more minutes. The building, New Mandarin Plaza, was easy to find as well and is surrounded by many restaurants and shopping.

I went on a Thursday morning (before 09:45) and went back the next day, Friday, around noon to get back my passport and visa.

I only had to fill out two sections of a four-page form (because it was a visitor visa) and submit my photo.

Also, the photo I gave was a 2"x 2" photo that I took at home and printed out at Family Mart on glossy paper (white background, pretty close to professional) - I also saw another dude giving a photo of a different size, even though the Chinese embassy says it should be a 2"x 2" photo (he seemed to have used China visas in his passport). There was no need for any date stamp or signature at the back of the photo. Pretty lax, so I’m thinking you could use any good headshot photo that is at least different from your passport photo (unless your passport is within 6 months new).

HK$650 = NT$2,470, which beats the pants off the NT$4,500 Taiwanese travel agents were quoting to get me the single-entry China visa (double entry is NT$6,500).

If you plan to enter China from HK, then just buy a single-entry visa at the Lo Wu border.
Usually takes just 10 minutes processing. Fee around RMB180 if you carry a western world passport.

[quote=“It is me again”]If you plan to enter China from HK, then just buy a single-entry visa at the Lo Wu border.
Usually takes just 10 minutes processing. Fee around RMB180 if you carry a western world passport.[/quote]

Many countries with “western world passport” are not authorized visa on arrival so this is not an option. If it was an option, then people from these countries would not need to do visa in advance.

[quote=“tango42”][quote=“It is me again”]If you plan to enter China from HK, then just buy a single-entry visa at the Lo Wu border.
Usually takes just 10 minutes processing. Fee around RMB180 if you carry a western world passport.[/quote]

Many countries with “western world passport” are not authorized visa on arrival so this is not an option. If it was an option, then people from these countries would not need to do visa in advance.[/quote]

That’s right… I hold a Canadian passport.

[quote=“shawn_c”]

HK$650 = NT$2,470, which beats the pants off the NT$4,500 Taiwanese travel agents were quoting to get me the single-entry China visa (double entry is NT$6,500).[/quote]

But you had to spend one night in HK … hotel, food, transportation which counts as an additional cost to your visa.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

[quote=“It is me again”]If you plan to enter China from HK, then just buy a single-entry visa at the Lo Wu border.
That used to be a 5days Shenzhen only permit, you could not cross the checkpoint of the special zone and enter China proper … you could at risk, but on returning there was a passport check and if caught trouble awaited you.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

Been reading through this and a little worried. I have to be in Shanghai this Friday or at the latest early Saturday morning for an important meeting that I have just found out about. I have an ARC and British Passport but no time to arrange a China visa from Taiwan.
Having read the posts, it appears that I have to get a Visa from HK BUT I can’t leave Taiwan until Thursday PM and my understanding is that the “express” service in HK is not available on Fridays ?
Not sure there is a solution for me in time…anyone with experience on a quicker way ? I don’t mind going via Macau/HK or anywhere close if there is an instant Visa service available. Thanks in advance…
Edit: It looks like CTS still have the express service counter at the Airport for Taiwanese Residents. Million dollar question…Is an ARC holder seen as a "Taiwanese "resident by the PRC? :ponder:

[quote=“shiadoa”]Been reading through this and a little worried. I have to be in Shanghai this Friday or at the latest early Saturday morning for an important meeting that I have just found out about. I have an ARC and British Passport but no time to arrange a China visa from Taiwan.
Having read the posts, it appears that I have to get a Visa from HK BUT I can’t leave Taiwan until Thursday PM and my understanding is that the “express” service in HK is not available on Fridays ?
Not sure there is a solution for me in time…anyone with experience on a quicker way ? I don’t mind going via Macau/HK or anywhere close if there is an instant Visa service available. Thanks in advance…
Edit: It looks like CTS still have the express service counter at the Airport for Taiwanese Residents. Million dollar question…Is an ARC holder seen as a "Taiwanese "resident by the PRC? :ponder:[/quote]

I’m not getting the question. ARC has nothing to.do with getting a visa to china in a british passport. Taiwanese don’t use CTS like services. Taiwanese can pick up a visa at a special counter just for them inside the aiport before exiting immigration.

Recently discovered that you can drop at CTS airport counter before 4pm and pick up next day after 7pm;

yes, I thought that but it excludes Saturdays ? So not possible on Friday to collect Saturday. I thought maybe they perhaps include ARC holders as the same status as Taiwanese Passport holders for the purpose of PRC visa as it states “Taiwanese Residents” in the CTS info. Will call them and check tomorrow. Thanks anyway cheers.

Rule changes are making this trip interesting.
According to several people , I have 2 choices.
1/ Fly to Korea/Japan etc from TPE, then to Shanghai. I can get a 72 Hour Transit Visa for PRC and return from Shanghai to TPE.
2/ Fly to Hong Kong then go directly to the Ferry (to the Mainland) and get a Visa on arrival. I can then go to the airport (Shenzhen) , fly to Shanghai and on Monday fly Shanghai to TPE.
Worried about some of the comments about the 2nd option maybe having been changed recently?