How to, or not to teach reading

Come to think of it this is workplace bullying :ponder:.

Have you got your APRC yet?

Good God, dude. This woman is seriously off her chops.

Although your millage may vary per class, I found that the finger following the word method worked well with the kids who have been studying (not learning) English for less than two years. One tactic that I used at all levels was to interrupt a reading student and call a random name of another student who had to pick up where the other student was stopped. Now we see who is paying attention and who is not. At higher levels (third to sixth grade), I would purposely make them keep their hands under their desks while reading, again, using the aforementioned stop and pick up tactic, but only on occasion.

I actually found that to have a negative effect on reading. It has often lead to “reading the words” rather than “reading the story.”

Just my experience.

Have you got your APRC yet?[/quote]
Should be here in two weeks.
As soon as I get it I am out of that place faster than Burt Ward and Adam West out of the Batcave.

Have you got your APRC yet?[/quote]
Should be here in two weeks.
As soon as I get it I am out of that place faster than Burt Ward and Adam West out of the Batcave.

I actually found that to have a negative effect on reading. It has often lead to “reading the words” rather than “reading the story.”

Just my experience.[/quote]
Puppet, that is my original point and the problem some people have with teaching phonics. It is teaching them to read like robots and not like people. I also think it hinders speed, something that will be important later on. Ramblin Rube’s tactic of interrupting and calling on other kids sounds interesting though. I think it would work under the right circumstances.

I won’t debate you on the phonics thing. I agree with phonics, but not how it is normally done. A better solution to the having someone read next is to read and mess up…have them correct you. A lot more interactive that way. They also hear more “natural” reading and inflection that they do repeat over time.

I also think this is effective. It makes the students listen and pay attention. Unfortunately, I am stuck with a CT who would not know that I am making the mistakes on purpose or the whole point of the exercise for that matter. She would have the students read it aloud and I woul have to listen for every single mistake and have the students say things correctly five times. BORING. I think making mistakes on purpose and having the students catch you is great, if you set it up right.

Perhaps I should clarify and say that some people have a problem with teaching phonics. I don’t have a problem with phonics per-se, but with the way it is done by some people. Done properly, it can be helpful.

What if we just all write a personal reply to her and you give it to her as a greeting card once you leave?

I would not read and mess up, at least not if you mean mispronouncing things. There’s no benefit to having them hear yet more incorrect English. Reading and changing certain details and having them spot the changes, yes. But always using the best English available.

I would not read and mess up, at least not if you mean mispronouncing things. There’s no benefit to having them hear yet more incorrect English. Reading and changing certain details and having them spot the changes, yes. But always using the best English available.[/quote]
That’s what I is sayin’

Whole Lotta Lotta: It must be tantalising that your APRC is almost in your hand. That’s fantastic news. You will have a lot more power over your own life.

It is a tantalizing thought. I can’t wait for it.

I hope she pointed out that they were escaping to a place where the people also look like Teacher Whole Lotta Lotta - the northern USA and Canada (I’m assuming the story was about the Underground Railway).

I hope she pointed out that they were escaping to a place where the people also look like Teacher Whole Lotta Lotta - the northern USA and Canada (I’m assuming the story was about the Underground Railway).[/quote]
The story was not about the underground railway, but she does have a story about the underground railway were people with my skin color helped slaves run up north. It is tempting to point out that relationships between Asians and Black people can get frosty at times.

Whole Lotta Lotta: That would be a waste of time. She sounds like a fuckwit.