How to plug a five-year old computer into an LCD TV?

Is there a relatively easy way to get my five-year-old computer to use an LCD TV as a monitor?

Thanks for any tips.

Well, it would help if you could enlight us with some connector details of you TV and your PC. If it has a VGA connector, you simply plug in the PC and select the most closest resolution. For DVI or HDMI, there are adapter on the market.
If your TV only has video-in, forget it, you won’t get happy.

If your LCD tv has a D-Sub connector, and assuming your computer does too (since you didn’t give us many details, I’ll have to guess), then yeah, you should be able to. (A D-Sub connector is three rows of 5 pins)

Edit: Sorry, I was a bit slow, as usual. D-Sub/VGA… same thing in this case.

[quote=“Shiner”]Well, it would help if you could enlight us with some connector details of you TV and your PC. If it has a VGA connector, you simply plug in the PC and select the most closest resolution. For DVI or HDMI, there are adapter on the market.
If your TV only has video-in, forget it, you won’t get happy.[/quote]The computer has one of those fairly flat connectors that used to be standard. Is that VGA?

The TV has a round socket for cable TV, plus a load of those sockets you get on the back of hi-fi systems.

The computer also has a TV out one of those sockets, but that’s never actually worked since I’ve had it.

Alternatively, does anyone have a crappy old monitor they don’t want, to give away or sell pretty cheaply?

A quick guide to indentification:

This is an analogue VGA socket:

These are digital VGA (DVI) sockets:

This is an S-Video socket:

These are composite video sockets:

You might have to exchange plugs for sockets while identifying, but hopefully these pics can help you tell us what sockets you have.

[quote=“irishstu”]If your LCD tv has a D-Sub connector, and assuming your computer does too (since you didn’t give us many details, I’ll have to guess), then yeah, you should be able to. (A D-Sub connector is three rows of 5 pins)

Edit: Sorry, I was a bit slow, as usual. D-Sub/VGA… same thing in this case.[/quote]Thanks. Didn’t see one of those on the TV. I’m not where the TV is at the moment so can’t check, either. Is there some kind of adapter box available?

Sorry Shiner, I forgot to thank you for your reply too.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]A quick guide to indentification…

You might have to exchange plugs for sockets while identifying, but hopefully these pics can help you tell us what sockets you have.[/quote]Cheers BFM. The computer socket is analogue VGA. I can’t check the TV right now but I think the sockets on that are composite video, apart from the round aerial socket which the cable TV line goes into.

There are video adapter boxes available, the cheapest should be around 1200NT. They can convert your graphic signal into an video signal. But you will not get happy with the picture quality. A second hand LCD monitor will do better in this case. Or get an old CRT monitor, you should get that really cheap…

[quote=“Shiner”]There are video adapter boxes available, the cheapest should be around 1200NT. They can convert your graphic signal into an video signal. But you will not get happy with the picture quality. A second hand LCD monitor will do better in this case. Or get an old CRT monitor, you should get that really cheap…[/quote]A CRT monitor would do alright. The only reason I don’t bring my old one up from Taichung is that I don’t have a box big enough to pack it in!

I have to go out now but thanks everyone for the replies. At least it seems that I’ll be able to get some kind of picture out of my computer one way or another.