How to polietly ask, say "excuse me/?/" in everyday life?

This MUST have been covered before.

I have searched on using the search bar, but had to give up because it ignores speech marks as isolators [","], so a search for " “excuse me” " ignored the “me”. Even then it turns up ten pages of a recent thread with “excuse me” in the title. Didn’t we used to be able to search by post content as well as title or either/or? Is it just me or is ‘advanced search’ missing?
I also tried google and got the answer I already knew is reserved only for special occasions when you really can’t show your face, i.e. have offended someone, (Dui bu chi) - when you really are “sorry”.

Situation A. I was in the supermarket, (my local ‘Welcome’). Today, unusually, the whole neighbourhood seemed to be in attendance and the cashier said something I didn’t quite hear, so I said, “Shen me?” in my best Taiwanese-style slurry s pronunciation, and a polite smile, of course. I gathered by her reaction that this was a little too rustic for the situation (neighbours in attendace :unamused: ). I suppose I could have said, “Zai yi ci” - but is that a little curt?

Situation B. I’m going down the road (perhaps walking rather quickly) and I want to get past someone or just let them know someone else is nearby using the pavement, too. I usually say, “Bu hao yi si” but this is supposed to convey embarrassment. Sometimes I say, “Xaio xing,” but that is perhaps a little dramatic, although it is appropriate on occasion.

So, what do THEY say??? I haven’t picked it up/noticed/accepted that they don’t say anything. Do I just push/cough/wait (for situation a) or grunt “eh?” (for situation b)? Do I grovel and blush?

I guess it’s a tricky part of social life in any culture… One has to learn to read the situation, and then say something. Does anyone have experience/clues/insights/LANGUAGE to help negotiate this cultural/linguistic/ethical minefield?

Learn how to purchase a cattle prod (in Chinese).

“OYE!”

[quote=“trubadour”]
Situation A. I was in the supermarket, (my local ‘Welcome’). Today, unusually, the whole neighbourhood seemed to be in attendance and the cashier said something I didn’t quite hear, so I said, “Shen me?” in my best Taiwanese-style slurry s pronunciation, and a polite smile, of course. I gathered by her reaction that this was a little too rustic for the situation (neighbours in attendace :unamused: ). I suppose I could have said, “Zai yi ci” - but is that a little curt? [/quote]

I would say “Duì Bù qǐ, máfán nǐ Zài SHŪO, hǎo Bù hǎo?” 對不起,麻煩你再說,好不好? (I’m not a native speaker, though.)

I would say, “JIĒ Guò yÍ Xìa, hǎo ma*?” 接過一下,好嗎? and then follow up with a (probably unnecessary) Xièxie* 謝謝.

BTW, you spelled “Wellcome” like a foreigner. :smiley:

[quote=“ironlady”]
BTW, you spelled “Wellcome” like a foreigner. :smiley:[/quote]

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“trubadour”]
Situation A. I was in the supermarket, (my local ‘Welcome’). Today, unusually, the whole neighbourhood seemed to be in attendance and the cashier said something I didn’t quite hear, so I said, “Shen me?” in my best Taiwanese-style slurry s pronunciation, and a polite smile, of course. I gathered by her reaction that this was a little too rustic for the situation (neighbours in attendace :unamused: ). I suppose I could have said, “Zai yi ci” - but is that a little curt? [/quote]

I would say “Duì Bù qǐ, máfán nǐ Zài SHŪO, hǎo Bù hǎo?” 對不起,麻煩你再說,好不好? (I’m not a native speaker, though.)[/quote]
I would add “yí cì” 一次 after the “zài shuō”. I personally would say “Bùhǎoyìsi, méi tīng dào.” 不好意思,沒聽到。

I would say, “JIĒ Guò yÍ Xìa, hǎo ma*?” 接過一下,好嗎? and then follow up with a (probably unnecessary) Xièxie* 謝謝.[/quote]

Shouldn’t that be “Jiè guò …” 借過… ?

Probably. I have never seen it written (not knowingly, at least) and tones 1 and 4 are my most frequently confused.

[quote=“trubadour”]This MUST have been covered before.

I have searched on using the search bar, but had to give up because it ignores speech marks as isolators [","], so a search for " “excuse me” " ignored the “me”. Even then it turns up ten pages of a recent thread with “excuse me” in the title. Didn’t we used to be able to search by post content as well as title or either/or? Is it just me or is ‘advanced search’ missing?
I also tried google and got the answer I already knew is reserved only for special occasions when you really can’t show your face, i.e. have offended someone, (Dui bu chi) - when you really are “sorry”.

Situation A. I was in the supermarket, (my local ‘Welcome’). Today, unusually, the whole neighbourhood seemed to be in attendance and the cashier said something I didn’t quite hear, so I said, “Shen me?” in my best Taiwanese-style slurry s pronunciation, and a polite smile, of course. I gathered by her reaction that this was a little too rustic for the situation (neighbours in attendace :unamused: ). I suppose I could have said, “Zai yi ci” - but is that a little curt?

Situation B. I’m going down the road (perhaps walking rather quickly) and I want to get past someone or just let them know someone else is nearby using the pavement, too. I usually say, “Bu hao yi si” but this is supposed to convey embarrassment. Sometimes I say, “Xaio xing,” but that is perhaps a little dramatic, although it is appropriate on occasion.

So, what do THEY say??? I haven’t picked it up/noticed/accepted that they don’t say anything. Do I just push/cough/wait (for situation a) or grunt “eh?” (for situation b)? Do I grovel and blush?

I guess it’s a tricky part of social life in any culture… One has to learn to read the situation, and then say something. Does anyone have experience/clues/insights/LANGUAGE to help negotiate this cultural/linguistic/ethical minefield?[/quote]

In addition to the exact wording, Taiwanese pay much attention to your Tone of Voice to interpret your mood. Thus saying “shen meh " in a nice way can be acceptable while a forceful and angry appearing 'SHEN ME???” may not.

IN the first instance you can say “tsai showoh ee bien” (sorry lousy pinyin) like this girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUL9yHL0TP8

In the second instance , a lot of Taiwanese say “pao chien, chieh kwoh” Or add to that “yee shiah”

Instead of the long white search bar at the top of a forum area, go to the top right corner and click on the Search link to get the advanced search options.

[color=#008080]Mod note: Please be careful to attribute quotes to the correct poster.
[/color]

[quote=“someone other than the person you quoted”]

IN the first instance you can say “tsai showoh ee bien” (sorry lousy pinyin) like this girl:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUL9yHL0TP8

great clip! what does he say?[/quote]

[quote=“someone other than the person you quoted”]
In the second instance , a lot of Taiwanese say “pao chien, chieh kwoh” [/quote]

I haven’t heard this one before and don’t recognize any of the sounds! What does it mean?

[quote=“trubadour”][quote=“NOT Dragonbones”]

youtube.com/watch?v=FUL9yHL0TP8[/quote]

He’s speaking Japanese.

She says “zai4 shuo1 yi bian4” 再說一遍 (say it again)

[quote=“trubadour”][quote]
In the second instance , a lot of Taiwanese say “pao chien, chieh kwoh” [/quote]

I haven’t heard this one before and don’t recognize any of the sounds! What does it mean?[/quote]

bao4 qian4 抱歉: sorry
jie4 guo4 借過: let me pass (or “get your ass out of the way”, but more polite)

[quote]bao4 qian4 抱歉: sorry
jie4 guo4 借過: let me pass[/quote]
That’s what I always use. Works, and its what I hear other people using the vast majority of the time. They don’t point and snigger when I say it, at least.
For the supermarket instance, the Taiwanese way is best – “HAH?”

Perhaps the reason why ironlady might mix up the first and fourth tones in this instance is because of the feeling that someone already mentioned that tones can carry. Fourth tone can be very harsh so people tend to say it softer when saying 借過一下 whilst moving through a crowd. I used to think it was first and sometimes catch myself saying it like first because I don’t want to sound too rude with a clear and loud JIE GUO.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“trubadour”][quote=“NOT Dragonbones”]

youtube.com/watch?v=FUL9yHL0TP8[/quote]

He’s speaking Japanese.

She says “zai4 shuo1 yi bian4” 再說一遍 (say it again)

[quote=“trubadour”][quote]

I haven’t heard this one before and don’t recognize any of the sounds! What does it mean?[/quote]

bao4 qian4 抱歉: sorry
jie4 guo4 借過: let me pass (or “get your ass out of the way”, but more polite)[/quote]

Thanks Chris. I am glad I have you to translate for me (me lousy pinyin and cant spell a word of chinese for a million bucks).

In the clip I posted, the guy is saying in Japanese “Ai ste ru” (I love you) and she is saying … you know what she is saying and putting him on repeat because she likes hearing him say that.

[quote=“sandman”][quote]bao4 qian4 抱歉: sorry
jie4 guo4 借過: let me pass[/quote]
That’s what I always use. Works, and its what I hear other people using the vast majority of the time. They don’t point and snigger when I say it, at least.
For the supermarket instance, the Taiwanese way is best – “HAH?”[/quote]

HAH ?? :roflmao: (you can add to that " lee cong sum may" … its like HUH? You say what? ")

Nah, actually it’s because ironlady suffers from a tin ear for tones, but thanks for the plausible excuse. I need all of 'em I can get! Check’s in the mail. :smiley:

[quote=“It is me again”][quote=“ironlady”]
BTW, you spelled “Wellcome” like a foreigner. :smiley:[/quote]
[/quote]

Ah it’s from Hong Kong! Just wondering what the huikang was all about