How to produce the chinese character for Taigi ê?

I was just reading an article about this bookstore in Taipei that’s in danger of closing down. The name of the bookstore includes the Taigi word ê, but it’s also written with a character that looks like 入+下 (see the photo).

I haven’t been able to produce this character on my computer, even when I input using the drawing tool. Is this in a special character set? Perhaps it was created in an app and not part of a font set? I’m just curious if anyone knows what to type to produce this character.

1 Like

Alt 136, sorry alt 137 is for ë

Alt 136 produces ê on my keyboard. I’m looking for the Chinese character pronounced ê in Taigi, as in the photo. It’s like 入+下

my apologies, I thought you were looking for the special characters.

No problem. I edited my original post to make it clearer.

I think it’s a relatively newly invented character for Taiwanese. Even my Taiwanese input on my phone doesn’t have it; it uses 个. Maybe some people don’t prefer this latter one because it’s in the mainland simplified set, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

If you go to their website they literally just use the letter “e” where that character goes

I noticed that too, so that’s why I guessed that maybe they created the character themselves as an image file to use on the sign and in the website masthead. It seems it’s not in any font set. Yet.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to have caught on!

The Taiwanese courses I’ve seen either use this or just 的.

2 Likes

When inputting characters like that in Word text (e.g. for archaic ones, hypothesized bronze or oracle bone script characters etc.) I usually produce an image in Photoshop, save as a jpg, insert it in Word via the insert pic command then do (rightclick) Text Wrapping-- Wrap Tight . Both steps (insert, and wrap) can be programmed as F-key functions in Word using the Word Options – Customize – Keyboard Shortcuts menu.

2 Likes

Happy flob anniversary!

I missed this thread.

I don’t think the character has been submitted to be included in the unicode.

The closest you could get is 𬽥

A while ago I also looked into what the character for ê was supposed to be originally. After comparing with other Sinitic languages derived from Middle Chinese, I think the original possessive in Middle Chinese 其 (kê), which became 嘅 (ge3) in Cantonese, 個 or 个 (ke) in Hakka, and 个 or 兮 (ê) in Taigi. 其 itself was probably pronounced the same and used interchangeably with 个, which was the original way to write 個.

FYI, that doesn’t seem to be showing up right, at least for me.

2 Likes

Same here

sudo apt install fonts-hanazono

or if your OS doesn’t have a smart way to install fonts, then

http://fonts.jp/hanazono/

Yeah, I don’t have enough use for that to be changing OS or installing font packages… :sweat_smile:

Are you on Windows?

You are missing out on all the fantastic characters such as 𡭚

Yup.

Apparently not, because I can see that one!