How to publish webpages at my domain

Now that I have my webpages done, I need to publish them at my domain name…but I have a problem. I am using front page and click file - publish web. screen pops up for me to type in server location…type in info butnothing happens or I get this operation requires endorser permission for ftp…

What is ftp? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions, guidance will be highly appreciated.

[quote=“Snowdragon”]Now that I have my webpages done, I need to publish them at my domain name…but I have a problem. I am using front page and click file - publish web. screen pops up for me to type in server location…type in info butnothing happens or I get this operation requires endorser permission for ftp…

What is ftp? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions, guidance will be highly appreciated.[/quote]

I wouldn’t use frontpage for anything. If you’re ready to send your files to your sever, download an FTP program, like WS_FTP and use that instead. You’ll need to know your hostname, username and password.

By the way, FTP stands for file transfer protocol. WS_FTP is software that uses this protocol to transfer files from your hard drive to the server. I hope that helps.

Your web hosting service probably has basic instructions on how to publish using the major HTML editors such as FrontPage. These instructions vary from service to service, so it’s hard to give specific advice. Besides the hostname, username, and password, you will also need to know the directory your web site files are stored in. Hostname is probably the same as your web site domain name, but might be different. Username is usually the part of your email address before the @ sign, but sometimes is the whole email address. Password is usually the same password you use for email. Directory is the part that can vary all over the map. Check out your hosting provider’s help section, they probably have step by step instructions for setting up Frontpage for your web server.

just open a dos box
type ftp
than open www.yourdomain.tld
and than upload your files with put

Mmmm… Are you sure you have Web Server ?

If don’t, nobody could see your webpages.

Thanks everyone for your comments…After some delay, I am ready to get back to this project…

Danimal: I am not knowledgeble about computers so I began with frontpage because I had that. I have played around with it a bit but do agree that it is not really so easy to use…even with a book I find it confusing… But it think it is also me not getting it. :s Ohhh, well I am plugging forward…

Tie bob: I have a fixed IP and my own server.

robi666: How do I open a dos box? What do you mean “upload … with put”

jlick: will check with web hosting service provider.

You just need your ftp account information and an FTP program.

I’ve been using smartftp.com/ , but anything will work.

Then you just pop in the info:
Adress would probably be ftp.something.com
User name provided by your host
and password

After you’re logged in you can just drag and drop all your files into your www (I’m assuming it’s a www) folder, just like you’d move files on your PC.

Then you should be able to go to your URL and see you site.

Thanks Miltontown,

Since I do not have ftp isnt there some other way to publish my pages. Actually I already have one page on my website already which is to download some software. The software person did this and this page will be a part of the 6 pages for my site.

Your have to FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is how you would send your files to the web server. If you have a hosting account you have an FTP account. You’ll need to contact them to get your FTP account info.

I did not buy a web hosting service, when I bought my domain name. I have my own server. Dahhhhh, I think I got it…I have to publish it on MY server. :s

much less complicated with a hosting service huh? oh well, I am learning…