How to renew a child's Canadian passport while in Taiwan?

Hello, my child is 5 years old and his canadian passport is expired (even though he still has a valid taiwanese passport).
We plan to return to Canada for good next year. I thought we could return to Canada with his taiwanese passport but my husband says we have to leave Taiwan with a taiwanese passport and enter Canada with a canadian passport.
My question is how do I renewal child’s canadian passport in taiwan? All the info I can find in the net is for 16yrs +.

Thanks in advance.

Child under 16 cannot renew a passport. You may need to do a new application.

Application for a Canadian Passport from Outside Canada (Child under 16 years of age
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/consular_services_consulaires/passports_child-enfant_passeports.aspx?lang=eng

“Children are not eligible for simplified passport renewal. Complete the child application available at the following link: PPTC042.

Fyi

Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

"Flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport?

You may have the option to board your flight if you qualify for a special authorization. Otherwise, you will have to reschedule your flight and get a valid Canadian passport.

Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada

You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.

And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.

Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form . If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization."

OK, thanks for your quick reply!